By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important is 60fps to you?

What do you think?

Anything less is unacceptable 20 16.26%

It's very important 40 32.52%

It's nice, but 30fps is still fine 44 35.77%

It's not important 19 15.45%

Total:123

60 is nice, but animations tend to suffer if the game has not been built up for 60fps to begin with. Animations originally made for 30fps look too fast and cartoony in 60fps. You can see this when people play older games with more modern and powerful machines.

Around the Network

In general it's very important but it depends on the game/genre.

For anything turn based (RPG, 4X, Strategy), it's nice to have but not required at all. Same could be said about simulation games (Cities Skylines or Frostpunk for example, not stuff like Goat Simulator).
For racers, brawlers, multiplayer shooters and sports games it's a must.
For everything else it might not be required but it's a huge improvement nonetheless.

60fps is good but not all genre need it. Eg open world doesn't need to be 60fps. I rather have native 4k with highest bells and whistles. Shooters should be 60fps. That should be the standard due to how fluid the combat will be. Same with fighting games and driving games. They both be 60fps as a minimum requirement.

Not too important. I went from playing 60fps Mario Odyssey and Demon Souls, to 30fps Zelda and Uncharted 4. My experience did not suffer at all, and the 30fps experience are wowing me more.

Of course im loving the smoothness of the 60fps games but the 30fps games ddon't feel unsmooth. Direct comparisons can make 30 fps feel worse, but start an experience from 30fps and I'm typically happy. Obviously genre is important.

On PC for me, 60 is the minimum, and I'd absolutely prefer 120fps given the choice.

Consoles with 60fps seems more of a luxury, but I'd still prefer 60 over 30.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

It's nice to have if achievable, however I would prefer a locked 30fps over an uncapped framerate. The latest update for republic commando on switch is proof of this. It hits a nice smooth 60 then drops to 45, 35 then shoots back up to 60.

Depends on the game. For shooters and fighting games I like as much fps as I can get. But action rps´s like Dark Souls and Bloodborne play just fine at 30fps (that being said, if I could play them at 60, I would).

NobleTeam360 said:

Anything less is unacceptable. I bend that viewpoint with Nintendo games though.

Fortunately even Nintendo seems to be going in that direction too.

I can play a game in 40-50fps, but 30 is pretty unacceptable to me. I will always put Fps over visuals.

I used to be in the "30 fps is fine" camp, but after upgrading my PC where I have not a single game that couldn't reach 60 fps, going back to 30 (like on my PS4) is an eye-sore. Once you get used to 60 fps, it's very difficult to go back. It's like driving a car on a bumpy road. Sure, it's not too bad you can get used to it, but once you reach that brand new, silky smooth tarmac, you're relieved and you really want to stay here. It's not a gimmick, it really makes the difference. And that's for the casual play. For anything, even remotely, competitive 30 fps is unacceptable.