By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important is 60fps to you?

What do you think?

Anything less is unacceptable 20 16.26%

It's very important 40 32.52%

It's nice, but 30fps is still fine 44 35.77%

It's not important 19 15.45%

Total:123

60 FPS is nice for 2D games.

But 30 FPS is really acceptable for me.

Around the Network

After experiencing 144fps 30 feels really bad to me in pretty much anything involving precision like in platformers or FPS games. It even feels bad to me just moving the camera in any sort of 3D games when it's that low so for most of the games I play 60 is the minimum I'll accept and even then I'd much prefer 100+ due to how much smoother it feels.

More important than my unborn children...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Very important: if no 60 fps, it better have a good reason.

Rab said:

60 fps is a luxury, if you can have it great, 30 fps is playable and sometimes that is all you have, it's amazing how the brain compensates with exposure, if all you played was 60 then 30 would feel difficult, if all you played was 30 then you are good

And if all you had to play was Pong, it'd be the greatest game ever. But 60fps and above does exist and I don't consider ignorance a blessing.

It's not the end of the world, but for any game on modern systems to not aim for 60fps by default, it better be damn near exceptional in every other facet (excluding Nintendo Switch).

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

60 FPS is nice for 2D games.

But 30 FPS is really acceptable for me.

Yep, side scrollers are the exception, they are much nicer at higher fps.

Meanwhile I'm playing FS2020 at locked 20fps, perfectly fine. Racing is just a matter of getting used to, I never had issues with Forza Horizon or Drive club. It was a shame they had to drop real time lighting and weather for 60 fps in DC VR and GT Sport. I rather have more dynamic game play than baked static weather to reach 60 fps. FS2020 with live weather and real day/night cycle is amazing.

I would argue that even in VR 30fps is enough, as long as the re projection still runs at 120hz. Head movements, just like mouse pointers should be 1:1 without delay. Yet animations can run at 30 fps, no problem.

It's always a tradeoff between detail/gameplay/fps, I choose detail and game play over fps.

Open world RPG. Eh Not bothered if 30.

Stylish action game it usually matters a lot but somehow works fine in Astral Chain.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Shaunodon said:
Rab said:

60 fps is a luxury, if you can have it great, 30 fps is playable and sometimes that is all you have, it's amazing how the brain compensates with exposure, if all you played was 60 then 30 would feel difficult, if all you played was 30 then you are good

And if all you had to play was Pong, it'd be the greatest game ever. But 60fps and above does exist and I don't consider ignorance a blessing.

It's not the end of the world, but for any game on modern systems to not aim for 60fps by default, it better be damn near exceptional in every other facet (excluding Nintendo Switch).

I've always thought that when they say ignorance is bliss, the converse to that is that knowledge is hell. The more you know, the bleaker things can get, I guess 30 fps is bleak to you now, it can be a viscous feedback system, the more you get the more you need, no escape from that mindset, it has it's own ecosystem    

Last edited by Rab - on 24 May 2021

For most games, 30 FPS is fine but 60 would still be nice. There are certain genres like racing, fighting, and hack and slash where it’s more of a necessity.

When you have greatly enjoyed DOOM on Nintendo Switch you realize that as long as there is a minimum of stability, 30 fps are perfectly fine for pretty much any game. Of course, 60fps are better. But not required.