By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important is 60fps to you?

What do you think?

Anything less is unacceptable 20 16.26%

It's very important 40 32.52%

It's nice, but 30fps is still fine 44 35.77%

It's not important 19 15.45%

Total:123
Angelus said:

How people answer this question really depends on the framerate of the average games that they play. If you spend most of your time playing at 30fps, you probably think that's perfectly fine, cus you're just used to it. Conversely, if most games you're playing run at 60 (or higher), then the thought of playing something at 30 is probably rather off-putting.

For the people who don't think framerate is important, I'd challenge you to go play a 60fps game for a couple of hours, and then switch to a game running at 30 (or switch the settings on that same game, if it's an option) immediately after. It feels pretty fucking bad.

It's not really depends on how much you play 30 or 60, but rather what you play. I choose to play Shadow of the Colossus cinematic version over performance version after playing 4 hours of performance version, it's a very slow game and action is equally slow, movement is slow and the world is pretty open, it doesn't need 60 FPS for anything 

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

Most people who say otherwise have never experienced it. So many users then suddenly change their mind once they do. Same for 60-100+, massive difference.

Come on this is a stupid thing to say. 

I mean I played CS 1.6 on a 100 Hz CRT monitor at high frame rates. I still don't regret the day I switched back to a 60 Hz LCD back in the day.

Shure for twitch shooters it's nice to have high frame rates. But todays high frame rate and especially high refresh rate is just hype.   

Since the mid gen refresh consoles I believe most people had the chance to play a game where they where given the option to choose quality or framerate. I don't really think anyone is ignorant on that matter. I myself have tried in the same type of games to switched and I myself did not find 60fps any improvement. As long as the 30 was stable higher quality was better. But I also don't like shooters, racers or any type of competitive game maybe in those instances it would make a difference. Maybe the different taste in games affects what framerate you rather play in.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Kristof81 said:

I used to be in the "30 fps is fine" camp, but after upgrading my PC where I have not a single game that couldn't reach 60 fps, going back to 30 (like on my PS4) is an eye-sore. Once you get used to 60 fps, it's very difficult to go back. It's like driving a car on a bumpy road. Sure, it's not too bad you can get used to it, but once you reach that brand new, silky smooth tarmac, you're relieved and you really want to stay here. It's not a gimmick, it really makes the difference. And that's for the casual play. For anything, even remotely, competitive 30 fps is unacceptable.

I hear this a lot, once you go 60 or higher, it's hard to go back.

Meanwhile all week last week I've been playing GT Sport (Nordschleife was on!) at 60fps in the evening and FS2020 at 20fps in the morning. No problem at all. Sure it makes a difference, yet reducing visuals to get 60fps kinda defeats what FS2020 has to offer.

As for competitive game play, lag is a much bigger issue than 30 or 60 fps. The avg connection I'm dealing with on GT Sport has 50ms ping, equivalent to 20 fps with some (South America) going up to 150 ms.

20 fps, no problem

PC gamer here. If I was gaming on a potato, I would priorities 1080p, over 60fp, but 60fps is really important to me.
For half a decade now, anything lower than 1440p 60fps has looked pretty jank and takes a while for me to get accustomed to.

Around the Network

60 FPS to me is very important, though I play tons of 30 FPS games.

I would say it's most crucial for racing, shooters, and fighting games.

In general, I would be willing to play at a lower or downright crappy resolution to hit 60 FPS.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Beginning to sound like a broken record, but yeah it fully depends on the game.

For 99% of the games I frequently play I couldn’t care less provided it’s at least stable and over 25.

30 fps doesn't feel great at all after a higher fps monitor with Freesync, not gonna sugarcoat it.

Now that I have a ps5 and most games run at 60fps, it has become very important for me. After playing 60 fps games back to back, 30 fps is becoming less of an option.

Once you go 60fps you cant go back.
Im refusing to play anything lower than that and its one of the reasons Im loving my XSX after spending 25 years with sony.
They could release Vagrant Story 2 I dont care, wont play if its not 60fps.