By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important is 60fps to you?

What do you think?

Anything less is unacceptable 20 16.26%

It's very important 40 32.52%

It's nice, but 30fps is still fine 44 35.77%

It's not important 19 15.45%

Total:123

I find hilarious that some PC gamers talk about 60fps like some hidden technology from the future unique to PC gaming and unknown to consoles... when many console gamers grew up with 8 and 16 bit consoles (home or portable) that ran most of their games at 60fps xD

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

I find hilarious that some PC gamers talk about 60fps like some hidden technology from the future unique to PC gaming and unknown to consoles... when many console gamers grew up with 8 and 16 bit consoles (home or portable) that ran most of their games at 60fps xD

Haha true, that's why I said side scrollers excepted for 30 fps play. Those were always 60fps on consoles and on PC I had to deal with low fps ports of 2D games. I still can't get Ori to run smooth on a 1060 on PC, gave up on it. (It would be fine if it was a stable frame rate but its all over the place)

Also the 120 fps craze is nothing new. HL2 Deathmatch and Unreal tournament on 120hz monitors back in 2000. We didn't have frame counters going back then though, just v-sync enabled and it was smooth. And everything looked better on CRT!

I grew up in 50hz land, never knew it was an issue until people told me lol.

Honestly for RPGs.... I dont even feel like 60fps is a must or needed.
I rather have better graphics @30, if a roleplaying game, than 60.

60fps+ is nice for shooters and action stuff esp if its competitive play.

SvennoJ said:
Vodacixi said:

Haha true, that's why I said side scrollers excepted for 30 fps play. Those were always 60fps on consoles and on PC I had to deal with low fps ports of 2D games. I still can't get Ori to run smooth on a 1060 on PC, gave up on it. (It would be fine if it was a stable frame rate but its all over the place)

Also the 120 fps craze is nothing new. HL2 Deathmatch and Unreal tournament on 120hz monitors back in 2000. We didn't have frame counters going back then though, just v-sync enabled and it was smooth. And everything looked better on CRT!

I'm from Spain, so I know the feeling very well. Never realized about the 50hz thing until the Wii U Virtual Console controversy xD

To be completely fair, I've never tried a 120fps game. I'm curious though.

I used to be in the camp of "it depends on the kind of game" but when I stop and think about it, more and more I find I've been perfectly able to enjoy all kinds of games at 30fps, whether it be racing games, (The Sonic All Stars racing games, Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart Wii/8 in 3-4 player splitscreen) fast paced shooters, (Doom 2016 and Eternal on Switch) or platformers. (Trine 4, Sonic Colours/Generations, Puppeteer)

Don't get me wrong, I love that sexy smoothness of 60fps, but I don't find it to be essential.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

When you have greatly enjoyed DOOM on Nintendo Switch you realize that as long as there is a minimum of stability, 30 fps are perfectly fine for pretty much any game. Of course, 60fps are better. But not required.

This is me right there, worked perfectly fine for me throughout the entire time.

60 FPS is a must for this current gen, we need to ditch 30 FPS for good and have 60 as the new standard.

mZuzek said:
SvennoJ said:

I still can't get Ori to run smooth on a 1060 on PC, gave up on it. (It would be fine if it was a stable frame rate but its all over the place)

I have that GPU too and the game runs very well, are you running it on HD or SSD?

SSD but it's on a laptop. Predator Helios 300 i7-8750H (2.2ghz with boost up to 4ghz but quickly heats up with boost, have it disabled)

The game runs fine when just running around, but stutters in fights, very annoying.

Vodacixi said:
SvennoJ said:

I'm from Spain, so I know the feeling very well. Never realized about the 50hz thing until the Wii U Virtual Console controversy xD

Don't expect a lot from it, you really have to look for the difference between 60 and 120. You only notice it when turning quickly or something scrolls by quickly. PSVR had a few 120 fps games and compared to 60 fps reprojected to 120, the difference is there but so minimal that its not worth it. Besides that, 120 is still too low not to get the 'cartoon' effect from fences scrolling by. (Trackmania turbo had a 120fps mode)

Good HDR makes a bigger difference, as well as ray tracing, improved shadows, longer draw distances, better AA, super sampling, then 120 fps :)

SvennoJ said:
Vodacixi said:

Don't expect a lot from it, you really have to look for the difference between 60 and 120. You only notice it when turning quickly or something scrolls by quickly. PSVR had a few 120 fps games and compared to 60 fps reprojected to 120, the difference is there but so minimal that its not worth it. Besides that, 120 is still too low not to get the 'cartoon' effect from fences scrolling by. (Trackmania turbo had a 120fps mode)

Good HDR makes a bigger difference, as well as ray tracing, improved shadows, longer draw distances, better AA, super sampling, then 120 fps :)

Agree. All those effects are way more noticeable. Not just instead of 60fps but I would also add native 4k to that. Checkerboard 30fps will still work fine for most games as my preference. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.