By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To 31st March 2021) Switch 84.59m

xl-klaudkil said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Maybe you're thinking of Fitness Boxing: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fitness-boxing-switch/

Noo the one where you have to do certain body moves to do something in the game.

People do call it a excercise rpg.

But to put it in the same vein as chrono cross ,final fantasy 7, xenoblade etc is kinda  a huge stretch..

Nobody said it is in the same vein as these games. But they share certain aspects that put them into the same genre. Compare that to Halo and Splatoon, both are shooters indoubtely, but they are not shooters in the same vein.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

People who care about JRPGs generally care more about a grand story and narrative than gameplay, so at this point he's probably arguing in favor of the narrative ambitions and scope of those games, versus something like Ring Fit Adventure. Notice he didn't mention Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, or Etrian Odyssey, for example, when listing JRPGs. 

Spoiler!
/s please don't hurt me

Gameplay is still a core factor in deciding so otherwise you may as well call visual novels JRPG. The same way the are many conventional type of games in a genre the are also unconventional an example in fighting games genre you have your Street Fighters and then you have Smash. 

RPG tends to be classified by their progression system, aka levels, stats and stuff like that. Based on the first non-videogame RPG Dungeon&Dragons. Story is actually no indicator of an RPG, although an RPG just as most other genres can have a story.

I think it is strange that RPG is the only genre that is subdivided with a regional classifier (and I don't support that). It is true though, that japanese RPGs are seemingly different. They have incorporated some elements of visual novels, which predate RPGs in Japan. But more importantly what is classified as JRPG often has the same elements poularized by western RPGs Wizardry and Ultima. So the funny thing is, that JRPGs really have their roots in western RPGs and early western RPGs would be classified by many now as JRPGs. But western game devs since then developed RPGs in a different direction, so they are differently.

I tend to ignore the regional qualifiers to the RPG genre, but I think a very important distinction - not only for RPGs, but other genres as strategy as well - is the distinction between real-time and turn-based. That massively influences the feel of these games.

RingFit Adventure is undoubtely a strange RPG and it also is in another genre - fitness game - as well. But that doesn't change the fact it is a RPG.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

kopstudent89 said:
curl-6 said:

So, 14 third party games sold over a million last FY, what do we suppose those are?

Minecraft and Monster Hunter Rise are a given, but what else?

My bet would be on these:

• Crash N Sane trilogy is always a big seller
  • Crash Racing
  • Spyro Trilogy
  • Hyrule Warriors (Japan + asia)
  • Overwatch
  • Minecraft
  • Mario and Rabbids
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Momotaru
  • Just Dance 2021
  • Hades

Maybe Borderlands? Doom Eternal? A party or fitness game? A lego game or two? Scratching my head here

Stardew Valley and Rocket League are sure to be there as well. They're pretty much digital evergreens.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

curl-6 said:

So, 14 third party games sold over a million last FY, what do we suppose those are?

Minecraft and Monster Hunter Rise are a given, but what else?

Mortal Kombat 11 might be one of them, it did get a re-release or 2 last year. NBA 2K could've sold 1 million as well. Not sure what else could've sold so well though.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
kopstudent89 said:

My bet would be on these:

• Crash N Sane trilogy is always a big seller
  • Crash Racing
  • Spyro Trilogy
  • Hyrule Warriors (Japan + asia)
  • Overwatch
  • Minecraft
  • Mario and Rabbids
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Momotaru
  • Just Dance 2021
  • Hades

Maybe Borderlands? Doom Eternal? A party or fitness game? A lego game or two? Scratching my head here

Stardew Valley and Rocket League are sure to be there as well. They're pretty much digital evergreens.

Rocket League was made f2p. They're not counting digital only games anyway.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Right forgot about Rocket League going f2p. Definitely didn't sell a million before September. Where has it been stated that they don't count digital only game though?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Paper Mario The Origami King only needs to sell another 610k to become the best selling Paper Mario game ever. Should make it comfortably.

Luigi's Mansion 3 has now outsold Luigi's Mansion 1 & 2 combined.

3D World + Bowser's Fury is already just 290k from outselling the original release.

Sword/Shield is just 2 million from outselling Gold/Silver.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Kakadu18 said:

Right forgot about Rocket League going f2p. Definitely didn't sell a million before September. Where has it been stated that they don't count digital only game though?

Since their number for total software sold doesn't include digital only games I assumed that they would not include digital only games here either. I could be wrong though.

curl-6 said:

Paper Mario The Origami King only needs to sell another 610k to become the best selling Paper Mario game ever. Should make it comfortably.

3D World + Bowser's Fury is already just 290k from outselling the original release.

Super Paper Mario sold over 4mil.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

Super Paper Mario sold over 4mil.

I was going by VGChartz numbers which has it at 3.73m.