By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To 31st March 2021) Switch 84.59m

Otter said:

Ring fit is a RPG but also a fitness game, worth taking that into account for any comparison. I probably wouldn't consider it a JRPG because it doesn't carry enough hallmarks imo. Its carved out a niche deserving of its own category (SportsRPG? FitnessRPG?), but its not something I'd bother debating...

JRPG stands for Japanese RPG, since RFA was made by a Japanese developer, it's a JRPG. But FitnessRPG fits it better.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Another thing I find very interesting is this:

Looks like the Nintendo gamers also increasingly buy digital. And I strongly doubt the pandemic is the only reason for this, though it certainly supported this trend.

These numbers make it look that digital has a higher percentage of digital sales than there really are. 

1. These digital sales don't just include digital version of games with a physical version, but also digital only games, DLC and Switch online.
  2. These are not unit sales, but revenue. This means that the 42,8% don't mean that physical games sell 42,8% via the Eshop and codes, but the total revenue of Digital Versions + Digital only games + DLC + Switch Online makes up 42,8% of the revenue of all gaming and services income.

With the help of the right table we can at least exclude Digital only game + DLC + Switch online revenue. We know that physical games made up 57,2% of revenue. Of the digital revenue (42,8%) 59,3% did come from games that are also sold physically which means 25,3% of revenue was from digital versions of physical games. The digital share for physical games therefore is 25,3% / (57,2% + 25,3%) = 30,7%.

And this is based on revenue. Nintendo likely makes significantly more revenue on a digital sale than on a physical sale. I don't know exact numbers, but I think it is reasonable to assume that in terms of unit sales digital is still under or around 25% of total sales.

Also the same formula that Nintendo used to beef up Ring fit over wii fit is begging to be used on a Wii Sports Successor. That'll be another 10m seller

Last edited by Otter - on 07 May 2021

So, 14 third party games sold over a million last FY, what do we suppose those are?

Minecraft and Monster Hunter Rise are a given, but what else?

@curl-6 Maybe Mario + Rabbids, considering how often that game seems to be on sale. Maybe Crash & Spyro also reached 1M on Switch.

Around the Network
Torpoleon said:

@curl-6 Maybe Mario + Rabbids, considering how often that game seems to be on sale. Maybe Crash & Spyro also reached 1M on Switch.

It's not games that reached a million, sold in total, it's games that sold over one million copies within the Financial Year from April 1st 2020 to March 31sy 2021. (Unless I'm wrong, someone please correct me if so)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 May 2021

I think I can't be called crazy if I said we can expect a new mainline Pikmin game within the next 3 years. If they know what they're doing, they can make it more appealing than 3 and sell even more.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

curl-6 said:

So, 14 third party games sold over a million last FY, what do we suppose those are?

Among US sold 3.2 million copies in a month digital only which isn’t counted.
Hades
Sakuna

3D all stars lifetime sales are about 2-3 million bigger than what I was expecting when they announced them as nothing but straight ports

But well, it's Mario and it's the Switch during their peak of popularity and ironically their driest Christmas year in therms of releases so far I should have know better to no underestimate Nintendo selling power

3D World sales are madness. 5 million sold in 1 month for a 8 years old game? This gonna surpass 10 million without breaking a sweat. Easily a new evergreen title, just as much as Mario Bros U Deluxe

Link's Awakening surpassing 5 million is also nice, not a evergreen but great sales for a smaller title

Clubhouse is another evergreen, just in a smaller scaler, will double its current sales easily

RFA just keep going and going and no signs of warming off. It would be interesting to see if Nintendo will release a RFA 2 or just let original game doing very by itself

Expecting Splaton to not reach 15 million. It's a multiplayer-heavy game, might sells ok this year (1.5 million-ish), but no point buying an Splatoon 2 once the sequel drops

No news about Fire Emblem Three Houses, I can only presume it failed to sell 1 million copies last fiscal year

Overall software sales are crazy high. Q1 2021 is up 20% compared to 2020, the lack of Animal Crossing will make software sales go down a bit YoY, but I'm sure second half will turn things out

curl-6 said:

Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa Mo Teiban! we know for certain is another of them 

I would guess most likely Hades and Just Dance 2021 as well