By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To 31st March 2021) Switch 84.59m

rapsuperstar31 said:

Looks like a good time to come out with a players choice line of games to boost games that have slowed down quite a bit. Xenoblade 2, Bayonetta 2, Astral Chain, Yoshi Island, Donkey Kong, and Kirby should all be $29.99 players choice games.

Seems about the right time. I know if those titles hit the $19.99-$29.99 price range I would pick up what we don't have, maybe even a couple copies of the same game if the family fights over wanting to play it...

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
scottslater said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It's weird but I can't help but feel that a forecast of 25.5m for the next fiscal year is low (even though that's a huge number of consoles).

Oh, it's low, laughably low. Switch is on pace to beat last years numbers.

I agree. With the Pokémon Remakes, possible BOTW2, Pokémon Legends Arceus and the very likely Switch Pro, we could be looking at 28-30 million again.

The one thing I would say regarding software sales on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo doesn't include Download only software in their list of Software sales totals I don't think?

rapsuperstar31 said:

Looks like a good time to come out with a players choice line of games to boost games that have slowed down quite a bit. Xenoblade 2, Bayonetta 2, Astral Chain, Yoshi Island, Donkey Kong, and Kirby should all be $29.99 players choice games.

Agreed, I feel they would likely continue with the Nintendo Selects branding of the last couple generations though. I think it'd also be a good idea to include some games that have or will have sequels coming out. A good starting lineup might be:

ARMS, Mario Tennis Aces, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Tropical Freeze, and Kirby

xl-klaudkil said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Maybe you're thinking of Fitness Boxing: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/fitness-boxing-switch/

Noo the one where you have to do certain body moves to do something in the game.

People do call it a excercise rpg.

But to put it in the same vein as chrono cross ,final fantasy 7, xenoblade etc is kinda  a huge stretch..

How so? Because it uses an unconventional control scheme? That doesn't stop it being a JRPG you've not made any real argument as to why it's not. 

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Noo the one where you have to do certain body moves to do something in the game.

People do call it a excercise rpg.

But to put it in the same vein as chrono cross ,final fantasy 7, xenoblade etc is kinda  a huge stretch..

How so? Because it uses an unconventional control scheme? That doesn't stop it being a JRPG you've not made any real argument as to why it's not. 

People who care about JRPGs generally care more about a grand story and narrative than gameplay, so at this point he's probably arguing in favor of the narrative ambitions and scope of those games, versus something like Ring Fit Adventure. Notice he didn't mention Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, or Etrian Odyssey, for example, when listing JRPGs. 

Spoiler!
/s please don't hurt me

Zero_Revolution said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Agreed, I feel they would likely continue with the Nintendo Selects branding of the last couple generations though. I think it'd also be a good idea to include some games that have or will have sequels coming out. A good starting lineup might be:

ARMS, Mario Tennis Aces, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Tropical Freeze, and Kirby

Is there good evidence to support the notion that these kinds of long term price drops significantly boost game sales in the long term? Because I'm not sure if I would buy a lot of additional games if those 'smaller' Nintendo titles had their prices cut in half. It would mostly replace other game sales. 

Ring fit is a RPG but also a fitness game, worth taking that into account for any comparison. I probably wouldn't consider it a JRPG because it doesn't carry enough hallmarks imo. Its carved out a niche deserving of its own category (SportsRPG? FitnessRPG?), but its not something I'd bother debating...

Another thing I find very interesting is this:

Looks like the Nintendo gamers also increasingly buy digital. And I strongly doubt the pandemic is the only reason for this, though it certainly supported this trend.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Wyrdness said:

People who care about JRPGs generally care more about a grand story and narrative than gameplay, so at this point he's probably arguing in favor of the narrative ambitions and scope of those games, versus something like Ring Fit Adventure. Notice he didn't mention Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, or Etrian Odyssey, for example, when listing JRPGs. 

Spoiler!
/s please don't hurt me

Gameplay is still a core factor in deciding so otherwise you may as well call visual novels JRPG. The same way the are many conventional type of games in a genre the are also unconventional an example in fighting games genre you have your Street Fighters and then you have Smash.