By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Let's settle this once for all...

Which generation is Switch ?

WiiU and Switch are both gen. 8th 33 33.00%

WiiU is gen. 8th and Switch is gen. 9th 56 56.00%

None of them !! 11 11.00%

Total:100
Metallox said:
shikamaru317 said:

Switch is a second 8th gen console after Wii U failed. Switch is simply not gen 9 unless you classify it as a gen 9 handheld succeeding 3DS. I refuse to consider it as a gen 9 console because it simply doesn't have the specs for that and likely won't be getting any 9th gen AA/AAA ports once PS4 and XB1 support are dropped and the cross-gen period is over, unless Switch Pro is allowed to have exclusives that aren't on Switch and Switch Lite.

The Wikipedia mods also decided to classify it as gen 8, it is missing from the gen 9 wikipedia page. 

Wikipedia? Seriously? 

Not a big fan of wikipedia's mods myself, just stating what wikipedia thinks of this particular situation. I did notice that they have added a bit of a disclaimed section for Switch to the page now, since the last time I looked at it:

"The Nintendo Switch's position compared to the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X/S remains unclear.[2][3] The console was released in March 2017, long before either of these units, as Nintendo wanted to recover quickly from the commercial failure of the Wii U.[41] As they had done with the original Wii, Nintendo designed the Switch in a blue ocean strategy to set the console apart from the competition.[42] The Switch has generally been technologically considered a member of the eighth generation, due to lower processing power. It remains competitive, however, hosting multiplatform games alongside PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S. These Switch versions may be supplemented by the power of cloud gaming based solutions, as with Control and Hitman 3.[43]"

Around the Network

Nintendo went of of sync with traditional generations at the time of the Wii, which was the GameCube reloaded with a different controller. The WiiU was a very late 7th gen extension competing with PS360 on the level of technology and game ports. Switch was WiiU reloaded in a more successful form of a handheld with most Nintendo games getting ported. We might get a powerful Switch Pro or a Switch 2 in 2.5 years which should qualify as 9th gen.

I think the problem here are the sales. If it was selling poorly then it would be considered 9th gen.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Roma said:

I think the problem here are the sales. If it was selling poorly then it would be considered 9th gen.

Bingo, also the PS4 and X1 had a refresh that extended their gen 8.  The WiiU did not have said extension, but it looks like the Switch will.

I would love to think that this would eliminate the problem, but I already know some people will try to seperate Pro from base Switch in an effort to avoid having to decide if the Switch potentially sells the most in either gen 8 or gen 9 altogether.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Leynos said:
d21lewis said:

People keep saying this. Like the Sega Nomad never existed.  The thing was a portable, it played the exact same games as a home console with no compromise, it connected to a TV, it allowed for a second player. It did everything the Switch does except it did it decades earlier.

And would you consider the Switch Lite a hybrid?

Would you consider the PSTV (PS Vita that only works on a TV) a console?

Where's the line?

You can't read the part where I said 1st generation Nintendo console/system?

I guess I didn't know that was an option. Nintendo has their own category?

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Roma said:

Bingo, also the PS4 and X1 had a refresh that extended their gen 8.  The WiiU did not have said extension, but it looks like the Switch will.

I would love to think that this would eliminate the problem, but I already know some people will try to seperate Pro from base Switch in an effort to avoid having to decide if the Switch potentially sells the most in either gen 8 or gen 9 altogether.

Some may buy I think that would be a very small percentage. People (like Me!) even lump every Gameboy into the same category even though the GBC had its own exclusives. Same for the New Nintendo 3DS. If the "Switch Pro" is just a refresh, I imagine it'll be considered the same as the Switch and Switch Lite. If it's a "Switch 2" with backwards compatibility with the Switch or something, then it's a whole new system.

Twitter: @d21lewis

mZuzek said:

If you have a child, and your sibling has a child 5 years later, do the children belong to the same generation or is your kid in the same generation as your sibling? ...Shitty analogy, sorry, but I mean. A console that succeeds a prior console belongs to the following generation, that's just how it is.

What about if you have a child and then your parent has a child shortly after? Is your new brother the same generation as you for having the same parent, or the same generation as your child for being born around the same time? This one actually happened to me. I have an uncle a year or so younger than me

Also, @bold that's not how it is, sorry. You can argue about the Switch whichever way you want, but this particular argument is definitely false. The Atari 5200, despite being a successor to the 2600 was still part of the 2nd gen, not 3rd gen. Similarly the NES was 3rd gen (not 2nd gen) despite being a follow up to Nintendo's 1st gen Colour Game TV. Plus as a hypothetical, if Sega were to release a new console now it would be 9th gen. It being a follow up to the Dreamcast wouldn't make it 7th gen, it would still definitely be 9th gen.

Did we consider the Switch to be 8th or 9th gen in March 2017 when it launched? Does anyone have a link back to that classification?

d21lewis said:
Leynos said:

You can't read the part where I said 1st generation Nintendo console/system?

I guess I didn't know that was an option. Nintendo has their own category?

I have sung the praises for Nomad many times but it was not its own thing. It came out when SEGA Saturn was out. It was competing against SEGA's Game Gear at the same time since SEGA had an issue with too much hardware out at once. Nomad didn't have any unique games. Just Genesis carts and Genesis was already replaced.It was just another Genesis at the end of the day. Nomad didn't replace Game Gear. PSP was not a hybrid. Neither was Vita. Vita, you had to buy the PSTV. By that logic, Game Boy was a hybrid with Super Game Boy. PSTV is just a Vita without a screen and not all games work on it. Yeah PSP had AV out but an odd aspect ratio. Not to mention not all models supported it. It was never the selling factor.  PSP was never meant to succeed PS2. It succeeded PlayStation Pocket. It competed with DS. Switch replaced Nintendo's entire console and handheld divisions and merged them into one. The switch is not competing with anything else directly. Not in function or power. It's unique in itself. Xbox Series X and PS5 are OR devices. Switch is an AND device. People choose between Xbox or PS. Whichever of those two they buy the Switch is and for the typical consumer. Typically a forum bubble buys all 3. In general, that's not the case.

Last edited by Leynos - on 03 May 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ka-pi96 said:
mZuzek said:

If you have a child, and your sibling has a child 5 years later, do the children belong to the same generation or is your kid in the same generation as your sibling? ...Shitty analogy, sorry, but I mean. A console that succeeds a prior console belongs to the following generation, that's just how it is.

What about if you have a child and then your parent has a child shortly after? Is your new brother the same generation as you for having the same parent, or the same generation as your child for being born around the same time? This one actually happened to me. I have an uncle a year or so younger than me

Also, @bold that's not how it is, sorry. You can argue about the Switch whichever way you want, but this particular argument is definitely false. The Atari 5200, despite being a successor to the 2600 was still part of the 2nd gen, not 3rd gen. Similarly the NES was 3rd gen (not 2nd gen) despite being a follow up to Nintendo's 1st gen Colour Game TV. Plus as a hypothetical, if Sega were to release a new console now it would be 9th gen. It being a follow up to the Dreamcast wouldn't make it 7th gen, it would still definitely be 9th gen.

As Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are different companies, it should more be like this: You have threechildhood friends (X1, PS4 and WiiU). While WiiU is a little older already, they played together as kids. WiiU had a kid in it's early 20s, while X1 and PS4 waited longer until their late 20s to have kids. You really argue that the kid of WiiU is the same gen as the parent? If WiiU has a sibling, that would be 3DS.

Also your Atari comparison is flawed. As some in this thread already pointed out, there is a gen betwenn the second and the Famicom. Often called lost gen, as the NES was retroactively called 3rd gen and the real 3rd gen was swept under the rug because of the videogame crash that shook the industry. The 5200 wasn't the same gen as the 2600.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]