By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Update: Square Enix Releases Statement | Bloomberg Japan: Several parties interested in acquiring Square Enix

And although I wouldn't want them to be bought by anyone, i feel Sony could potentially bring about the return of Chrono Trigger with a remake

Around the Network

Pls no, hopefully nothing happens.

Otter said:

And although I wouldn't want them to be bought by anyone, i feel Sony could potentially bring about the return of Chrono Trigger with a remake

Seeing how CT was never a financial success and Sony is only into big western safe successes with no risks now thanks to Jim Ryan. No thappening.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm not sure how reliable they are, but Shpeshal Ed said Sony is one of the interested buyers, while Jez Corden speculates that Microsoft won't buy Square Enix.

Otter said:
shikamaru317 said:

Sony has been responsible for some censoring themselves. Remember when they forced Capcom to censor this scene in Devil May Cry 6:

It was later patched back in in North America and Japan I think, but not Europe. They have also been responsible for censoring other games though, such as Senran Kagura and quite a few other Ecchi games. 

But yeah, I agree that Microsoft is the ideal choice between the 3 most likely parties. Tencent is way too close to the CCP which brings about a slew of privacy and censorship concerns, and Sony would almost certainly lock their games to PS5, not even allowing PC on most of them. Microsoft would put their games on Xbox and PC, they would be playable to anyone with a computer or smart tv/phone on xCloud, and MS might even allow some late ports on Nintendo systems, as they have done in the past for some games. 

"Even more strangely, there’s another scene in the game—again featuring a butt, the most obscene of crevices we all share—that’s censored in every version and territory."

Where did you guys read that Sony "forced" them to censor it? Im aware of Senran Kagura "intimacy mode" being sensored but that's a different story all together.

Also sooner or later I feel the penny is going to drop that microsoft buying a company doesn't equate to exclusivity. Mojang is not the exception, it's their template for how they will handle massive IPs. Particular with Bethesda there have been so many statements making clear that multiplatform releases will still continue to be a common thing but one throw away comment from Phil aimed at Xbox gamers made people disregard all the press releases/statements which existed prior. An SE acquisition would be in a similar boat imo

-Games attached to gamepass permanently

-Games better or first on Xbox

-Some exclusives.

Right now though I think it's worth asking is Square Even looking to be acquired? 

Not a throw away comment when he directly addressed it lol, if I was a playstation fan I wouldn't expect anything from Bethesda personally. But weirder things have happened, I mean Gamepass is getting a Sony first party game day one. Interesting times.

OT: SE been selling deals with most their games so why not sell the whole thing lol. I'd prefer if they remained independent but if someone was to acquire them, the more accessible platform is xbox. PC and mobile, and possibly even switch ports in Japan. But Sony clearly has the closest partnership with them. I'd be surprised if a deal actually goes through though. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
PotentHerbs said:

I'm not sure how reliable they are, but Shpeshal Ed said Sony is one of the interested buyers, while Jez Corden speculates that Microsoft won't buy Square Enix.

Both are pretty reliable. Another insider is saying that MS has been in acquisition talks with Square for months, but he isn't sure of the current state of those talks, if a deal is close to finalized or has been abandoned. 

Interesting. Also, which insider said that? 

Nah, if I remember correctly Embracer raised 1 billion for new acquisitions this quarter, while Square Enix’s capital worths around 7 billion. Sony could be thrown out of the competition if Microsoft and Tencent go aggressive, like the time with Leyou Technologies. So if SE wants to be bought, it will probably be bought by MS or Tencent. Unless there’s another company we don’t know that wants to acquire them. For example, Amazon has the money and wants to make Luna a competitive service, by making more original content from their Amazon Game Studios. Adding Square Enid’s would accelerate their ambitions. Either way, watching SE become a subsidiary of any company would be weird at first. It is also probably the first time any of these companies will buy a publicly traded gaming studio.

shikamaru317 said:

The most likely possibilities would be:

• Microsoft: After acquiring Zenimax, MS said that they were on the lookout for more gaming acquisitions, and didn't rule out the possibility of acquiring other publishers. They have alot of cash and haven't been afraid to spend it recently, with 3 finalized acquisitions in the last few months, and a $19b acquisition of AI company Nuance just announced. 
  • Sony: Sony has spent alot of money on timed exclusivity deals with Square recently, on FF7 Remake, Forspoken, and FF16. Sony may be looking into a more permanent solution by acquiring Square, especially if MS is involved, as Sony wouldn't want to lose them to Xbox.
  • Tencent: They have alot of money (though not quite as much as Microsoft) and have been getting quite a few gaming acquisitions recently. 
  • Embracer: Embracer seemingly has the ability to rustle up limitless money, acquiring studio after studio the last few years, to the point where they have now reached 58 game studios. Square would be their largest and most expensive acquisition yet, but it's not impossible that they would at least put in a bid for Square, though the chances of them outbidding the others would be very low. 

Embracer is not likely. Yes, they acquired a lot of companies, but most of them pretty small. Koch Media and Gearbox are the biggest ones as far as I know.

The other three sound like valid contenders. I think Sony might be outmatched, if MS and Tencent get into a bidding war. But maybe they see Square as that important, that they are willing to put down their reserves.

Nintendo never was involved in stuff like that, at least in this size. They preferred to grow internally. That kinda stings, as I like a lot of Square games on the Switch. While I have no problem with Octopath and Triangle Strategy on other platforms, it is likely the next game will be exclusive to whoever buys them (tencent has Epic Game Store, right?). If Dragon Quest Builders 3 is exclusive to Xbox or PS, I would buy that console.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Interesting, awhile ago Square Enix mentioned something along the lines of a FF7 Remake would have been thier last game, and now after releasing FF7 Remake, the rumours are out of them being brought out.

ice said:
Otter said:

Also sooner or later I feel the penny is going to drop that microsoft buying a company doesn't equate to exclusivity. Mojang is not the exception, it's their template for how they will handle massive IPs. Particular with Bethesda there have been so many statements making clear that multiplatform releases will still continue to be a common thing but one throw away comment from Phil aimed at Xbox gamers made people disregard all the press releases/statements which existed prior. An SE acquisition would be in a similar boat imo

Not a throw away comment when he directly addressed it lol, if I was a playstation fan I wouldn't expect anything from Bethesda personally. But weirder things have happened, I mean Gamepass is getting a Sony first party game day one. Interesting times.

OT: SE been selling deals with most their games so why not sell the whole thing lol. I'd prefer if they remained independent but if someone was to acquire them, the more accessible platform is xbox. PC and mobile, and possibly even switch ports in Japan. But Sony clearly has the closest partnership with them. I'd be surprised if a deal actually goes through though. 

Throw away is maybe not the right word, but its clear that actual press releases about the acquisition from Xbox should carry far more weight than Phils later comment which was made in far less official capacity, geared towards gamers hive mentality & literally proceeded by him talking about games with legacies on other platforms (All Bethesda's major IPs) being multiplatform. The actual aquisition press release:

"With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players."

So we will see, but if new Bethesda games arrive on playstation in future that shouldn't be seen as "weird" or surprising when microsoft has more or less said it will happen at multiple opportunities. It also mimics exactly how they have managed their only other huge acquisition (minecraft).