By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Update: Square Enix Releases Statement | Bloomberg Japan: Several parties interested in acquiring Square Enix

Wait, did I miss something? Is Square Enix for sale? Did Balan Wonderworld really do so bad? What's going on?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

sony doesn't really have the spare cash TBH, not for something this big, not with everything not thier movie, banking, or gaming sectors in the red...

TheBraveGallade said:

sony doesn't really have the spare cash TBH, not for something this big, not with everything not thier movie, banking, or gaming sectors in the red...

You might want to read those financial reports again. 

shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Not sure who would be worst, Tencent or Sony. Tencent runs the risk of them making shitty censored games because of the oppressive Chinese government, while Sony runs the risk of making them exclusive to 1 platform. Shitty censored games would definitely be the worse of those two things, but I think that's at most a 50% chance of happening, while if Sony were to buy them I'd say 95% chance they'll be exclusive.

Microsoft I'd be fine with. Would probably be better if they stayed independent, but I think Microsoft would be the least likely to negatively affect their games so they'd be my preferred choice.

Sony has been responsible for some censoring themselves. Remember when they forced Capcom to censor this scene in Devil May Cry 6:

It was later patched back in in North America and Japan I think, but not Europe. They have also been responsible for censoring other games though, such as Senran Kagura and quite a few other Ecchi games. 

But yeah, I agree that Microsoft is the ideal choice between the 3 most likely parties. Tencent is way too close to the CCP which brings about a slew of privacy and censorship concerns, and Sony would almost certainly lock their games to PS5, not even allowing PC on most of them. Microsoft would put their games on Xbox and PC, they would be playable to anyone with a computer or smart tv/phone on xCloud, and MS might even allow some late ports on Nintendo systems, as they have done in the past for some games. 

"Even more strangely, there’s another scene in the game—again featuring a butt, the most obscene of crevices we all share—that’s censored in every version and territory."

Where did you guys read that Sony "forced" them to censor it? Im aware of Senran Kagura "intimacy mode" being sensored but that's a different story all together.

Also sooner or later I feel the penny is going to drop that microsoft buying a company doesn't equate to exclusivity. Mojang is not the exception, it's their template for how they will handle massive IPs. Particular with Bethesda there have been so many statements making clear that multiplatform releases will still continue to be a common thing but one throw away comment from Phil aimed at Xbox gamers made people disregard all the press releases/statements which existed prior. An SE acquisition would be in a similar boat imo

-Games attached to gamepass permanently

-Games better or first on Xbox

-Some exclusives.

Right now though I think it's worth asking is Square Even looking to be acquired? 

Honestly, acquisition wars between platform holders is not a good thing for the gaming industry. Companies will attempt to carve out parts of the industry to undermine one another, competition will decrease in the long run, and at the end of the day, and gamers may have to buy three platforms to enjoy AAA games. If Sony acquires Square enix, that would likely be the end of Final fantasy or dragon quest on Switch despite the notable popularity of those franchises on Nintendo platforms and Microsoft would lose those franchises for good. If Microsoft acquires Square enix, they would likely require Gamepass to be on Ps5 or Switch for any sort of port, which is unlikely as ig could severely damage software revenue on those platforms.

Around the Network
twintail said:
TheBraveGallade said:

Except these divisions are are reporting profits... 

Sony could buy SE. It's not about having spare cash hand. That's a rather narrow way of looking at acquisitions. 

What is "imaging and sensing solutions"?

If this report is true, it makes a lot of sense for Sony Corp, since Square Enix has manga, mobile, anime, merchandise, along with video games. It would benefit Sony Interactive, Sony Music, maybe even Sony Pictures.

twintail said:
Darwinianevolution said:

What is "imaging and sensing solutions"?

It's their camera module sector I believe. They supply camera parts for phones etc. I could be mistaken though.

Wouldn't that count as "electronics"?

shikamaru317 said:

According to Benji, Sony does indeed have the ability to buy Square at their current price. It would pretty much be tied for their most expensive acquisition ever though, the current record holder is Columbia Pictures Entertainment back in 1989, which cost them $3.4b ($7.3b adjusted for inflation). I'm not sure if Sony would be willing to spend that much on gaming at the time being though, and of course they'd be bidding against MS and Tencent most likely, who have alot more money than them and could drive the price up quite alot.

A Square Enix acquisition fits a lot of needs for Sony Corp as a whole. The cost wouldn't have to be recouped just from their gaming division.

Scizor_99 said:

Honestly, acquisition wars between platform holders is not a good thing for the gaming industry. Companies will attempt to carve out parts of the industry to undermine one another, competition will decrease in the long run, and at the end of the day, and gamers may have to buy three platforms to enjoy AAA games. If Sony acquires Square enix, that would likely be the end of Final fantasy or dragon quest on Switch despite the notable popularity of those franchises on Nintendo platforms and Microsoft would lose those franchises for good. If Microsoft acquires Square enix, they would likely require Gamepass to be on Ps5 or Switch for any sort of port, which is unlikely as ig could severely damage software revenue on those platforms.

I agree with your point of it being overall bad but Pete Hines of Bethesda already confirmed that they will still act as publisher for their games and they will not release under "Xbox Studios". For SE I could see things continuing as they currently are:

- Xbox/Playstation/PC get big franchises (Hitman/FF/Tomb Raider). All are day 1 to gamepass+ backlog.

- Xbox/Switch/PC get small projects (Octopath/Bravely Default 2/).