By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Update: Square Enix Releases Statement | Bloomberg Japan: Several parties interested in acquiring Square Enix

Mnementh said:

While I have no problem with Octopath and Triangle Strategy on other platforms, it is likely the next game will be exclusive to whoever buys them (tencent has Epic Game Store, right?).

Epic's own games are available across consoles. It's mostly console companies who are prone to witholding from other consoles.
I mean, some PC games only stay on PC but not really for this reason (and often sold by multiple PC stores), more so size/genre.

Around the Network

Oof, those are not optimal, in my opinion. But if I had to take one out, I'd remove Tencent from the bidding. I don't like the idea of any company buying their way into dominance, there are already enough issues with certain publishers growing out of proportion and this only hurts consumers, developers, and creative freedom as well the market itself in the long run.

Otter said:

Right now though I think it's worth asking is Square Even looking to be acquired? 

"we do not consider selling off the company or any part of the business"

So who exactly were those "credible rumor mongers" who just lost a bunch of credibility?

Otter said:
ice said:

Not a throw away comment when he directly addressed it lol, if I was a playstation fan I wouldn't expect anything from Bethesda personally. But weirder things have happened, I mean Gamepass is getting a Sony first party game day one. Interesting times.

OT: SE been selling deals with most their games so why not sell the whole thing lol. I'd prefer if they remained independent but if someone was to acquire them, the more accessible platform is xbox. PC and mobile, and possibly even switch ports in Japan. But Sony clearly has the closest partnership with them. I'd be surprised if a deal actually goes through though. 

Throw away is maybe not the right word, but its clear that actual press releases about the acquisition from Xbox should carry far more weight than Phils later comment which was made in far less official capacity, geared towards gamers hive mentality & literally proceeded by him talking about games with legacies on other platforms (All Bethesda's major IPs) being multiplatform. The actual aquisition press release:

"With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players."

So we will see, but if new Bethesda games arrive on playstation in future that shouldn't be seen as "weird" or surprising when microsoft has more or less said it will happen at multiple opportunities. It also mimics exactly how they have managed their only other huge acquisition (minecraft).

Lol I was always in the camp that thought they would be multiplat, but taking Phil's comment and the fact the deal wasn't even closed when the press release was out, paints a pretty clear image imo. Also we gotta remember that Fallout 76, The Elder Scrolls Online, and Minecraft will be supported for years to come, and will probably get PS5 upgrades. The whole weird comment was because it would go against Phil's word, not so much that the games would come to Playstation. Phil also confirmed this on twitter, saying Paris was spot on about the Bethesda deal. So, yes it would be surprising to me. 

I think being on Gamepass is the Gem of the acquisition. If playstation gamers can enjoy the games too, cool. 

EDIT: Not worth another reply but I do believe the vague press releases were because the deal wasn't finished and that they have games with contracts tied to Sony, so they can't legally say games will be exclusive.

Last edited by ice - on 16 April 2021

Around the Network

SE remaining independent was the best outcome, cheers.

ice said:
Otter said:

Throw away is maybe not the right word, but its clear that actual press releases about the acquisition from Xbox should carry far more weight than Phils later comment which was made in far less official capacity, geared towards gamers hive mentality & literally proceeded by him talking about games with legacies on other platforms (All Bethesda's major IPs) being multiplatform. The actual aquisition press release:

"With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players."

So we will see, but if new Bethesda games arrive on playstation in future that shouldn't be seen as "weird" or surprising when microsoft has more or less said it will happen at multiple opportunities. It also mimics exactly how they have managed their only other huge acquisition (minecraft).

Lol I was always in the camp that thought they would be multiplat, but taking Phil's comment and the fact the deal wasn't even closed when the press release was out, paints a pretty clear image imo. Also we gotta remember that Fallout 76, The Elder Scrolls Online, and Minecraft will be supported for years to come, and will probably get PS5 upgrades. The whole weird comment was because it would go against Phil's word, not so much that the games would come to Playstation. Phil also confirmed this on twitter, saying Paris was spot on about the Bethesda deal. So, yes it would be surprising to me. 

I think being on Gamepass is the Gem of the acquisition. If playstation gamers can enjoy the games too, cool. 

Edit: Actually it was, its starts off "Today we officially complete the acquisition of ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks."

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/09/officially-welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

I would say ports do not count as "new Bethesda games" of which only "some" will be exclusive to Xbox/PC. But we will just have to wait and see. 

Last edited by Otter - on 16 April 2021

Otter said:
ice said:

Edit: Actually it was, its starts off "Today we officially complete the acquisition of ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks."

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/09/officially-welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

I would say ports do not count as "new Bethesda games" of which only "some" will be exclusive to Xbox/PC. But we will just have to wait and see. 

Because they still have exclusive contracts to Sony for 2 future games, and 2 days after people questioned the "some" comment Phil clarified at the round table (and tweeted that Paris was right). This convo has been done to death though among Xbox fans (and others) so I'll just agree on the wait and see comment lol

ice said:

SE remaining independent was the best outcome, cheers.

Great news indeed.

Can this thread be locked now that the rumor has been proved false?

Fuck anybody buying Square. They went 3rd party during the 360/PS3 era and need to stay that way. If Sony buys them, then Xbox gamers miss out on SE games. If Xbox buys them then Sony gamers miss out on SE games.

All of the companies looking to buy up large portions of the game industry are like rich little men who want to win an art competition, but have zero artistic talent. So they hire a shadow-artist to do the work for them. When's the last time any of these players saying "let's buy up large portions of the industry" had a new successful critically acclaimed IP, or even pushed the limits of their old IPs? Nintendo has completely reworked and redefined Mario with every other entry. Sony has had multiple new IPs last gen, and gave GoW a complete overhaul. Where's MS's new critically acclaimed IP, or drastically improved old IP?

If the Xbox division wasn't given boatloads of cash from MS' PC division they would continue to get dominated by Sony/Nintendo. They only stand a chance this gen because MS' PC division is propping them up monopoly style.