By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March NPD 2021: Switch > 938k, PS5 > 473k , XBS > 234k

Endymion said:

When Mat Piscatella says about March 2021: "Switch showing few signs of slowing", he really mean it.

What do you think he means when saying that? Is he saying that Switch sales are starting to show signs of slowing down now or that Switch sales aren't showing any noticeable signs of slowing down? Tbh I'm not sure how to take his statement.

Around the Network
javi741 said:
Endymion said:

When Mat Piscatella says about March 2021: "Switch showing few signs of slowing", he really mean it.

What do you think he means when saying that? Is he saying that Switch sales are starting to show signs of slowing down now or that Switch sales aren't showing any noticeable signs of slowing down? Tbh I'm not sure how to take his statement.

I think he means it's not really slowing down. If there were signs of it happening, he would have said 'Showing a few signs' not showing few signs'.

JSG87 said:
javi741 said:

I think he means it's not really slowing down. If there were signs of it happening, he would have said 'Showing a few signs' not showing few signs'.

I agree with this interpretation of said analysis.

javi741 said:
Endymion said:

The second one.

Context being: comp. with march 2020.

Ryng!
Give us the xbox leak number soon !

My prediction in 2021.

SW: 30m

PS5 16m

XBS: 7.5m

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

390k PS5s at an average selling price of $480 translates to 681k Switch units at an average selling price of $275. An ASP of $265 for Switch would result in 706k units sold. If the PS5 did notably better than 390k in March, then Switch sold more than 700k in any case.

I don't remember how big the year over year lead was that Switch built during January and February, but 2021 is faring well either way.

I’d be interested to know how much money Nintendo and Sony make from software sales per hardware unit on average. Also, profitability of each hardware unit sold. Subscription service costs are probably a factor as well.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Ryng!
Give us the xbox leak number soon !

no numbers yet :(

Extrapolated ranges from ResetEra prediction results (Donny who runs the thread has actuals but cannot disclose them).

937k < Switch < 985k

473k < PS5

234k < XBS < 330k

VGChartz estimates pre-adjustment:

NSW - 879,121

PS5 - 396,095

XBS - 252,046

Hopefully we get concrete leaks one day, but the above is the best we have so far.  Crazy month for PS5 and NSW.

Last edited by mk7sx - on 28 April 2021

mk7sx said:

Extrapolated ranges from ResetEra prediction results (Donny who runs the thread has actuals but cannot disclose them).

937k < Switch < 985k

473k < PS5

234k < XBS < 330k

(...)

With Switch down only 50-100k units year over year, it looks quite safe to expect the year 2021 to be even bigger than 2020. The USA is behaving similar to Japan.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

mk7sx said:

937k < Switch < 985k

473k < PS5

234k < XBS < 330k

VGChartz estimates pre-adjustment:

NSW - 879,121

PS5 - 396,095

XBS - 252,046

Hopefully we get concrete leaks one day, but the above is the best we have so far.  Crazy month for PS5 and NSW.

After adjustments:

Switch: 954,121

PS5: 483,095

XSX|S: 280,046

If we get better numbers I'll make more adjustments if needed. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.