By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March NPD 2021: Switch > 938k, PS5 > 473k , XBS > 234k

PS5 continues pace as the fastest selling console in its first year at a $500 price point, while the Dualsense is the best selling accessory for the entire quarter, even the headset seems to be doing well. Miles Morales is showing incredible legs, charting in the top 5 every month since launch, and it has already outsold TLOU2 & GoT with the majority of sales being on the PS5.

Its looking like the Switch's NPD streak will last until 2022 tbh. MK8 has also become the best selling racing game in NA.

Around the Network

Spiderman MM has now outsold TLOU2 and Ghost in the US

Ryng said:

PlayStation 5 is the fastest selling console in U.S. history 
in both unit and dollar sales (lifetime sales with five months on the market).

Nice !

kenjab said:

NPD data is out.  Not going to post it all here, but here's Mat Piscatella's initial tweet--you can click it to see the whole thread:

Highlights:

- In March, Switch top selling HW in both sales and revenue
- PS5 best selling console ever through 5 months
- For Q1, Switch highest unit sales but PS5 highest revenue
- Top 3 SW: 1. CoD Cold War, 2. MHR, 3. Outriders

Edit: 2 more highlights:
- Mario Kart 8 now the highest selling racing game of all time (I believe this combines WiiU & Switch versions)
- Monster Hunter Rise already second best selling Monster Hunter by dollar sales of all time behind World

Incredible numbers all around the board. Absolutely incredible!

Shadow1980 said:

If we knew the average split between the disc and digital editions of the PS4 and between the standard Switch and the Lite, we could make a calculation for the Switch's minimum sales for March.

Here's Nintendo's data on shipments to "The Americas" so not entirely US specific, but the closest we can get.

Would suggest ASP around $265 is a solid bet.  Doubt its far off from the $260 - 270 range.

Around the Network

I don't get what's so special about CoD that Americans just buy it by default

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:

imagine a game where instead of stoning your enemies you shoot them

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Eagle367 said:

There are lots of franchises that people buy "by default".  Final Fantasy is nowhere nearly as good as it used to be, and yet it still sells many millions of copies every time a new game comes out.  The brand has a certain install base that shows up at every release.  You see that with most major brands (Pokemon, FIFA, etc...).

In the case of Call of Duty, the series really exploded in popularity in Generation 7.  The most popular system in the US at the time was XBox360.  What were the big games to play on that system?  Halo, Call of Duty, etc... basically online shooters.  That was what the XBox360 really excelled at and Call of Duty was the most popular one.  It has that huge install base.  Even if some of those people bought PS4's later, the game still has the install base that was built during the XBox360.

kirby007 said:
Eagle367 said:

imagine a game where instead of stoning your enemies you shoot them

That's..... a....... jokeee...... I guess

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Shadow1980 said:
mk7sx said:

Here's Nintendo's data on shipments to "The Americas" so not entirely US specific, but the closest we can get.

Would suggest ASP around $265 is a solid bet.  Doubt its far off from the $260 - 270 range.

Thanks!

We know that Q1 saw the PS5 at #1 for dollars but the Switch #1 for units, and that the PS5 is LTD ahead of the PS4. We know the PS5 sold 1958k last year, while the PS4 sold 2914k in its first five months, so that gives us at least 956k for the PS5 in Q1 (meaning the estimates we have are pretty close, maybe very slight undertracking). So, assuming an ARP of $480, that's at least $458.9M in revenue for the PS5. There were right at about 1M Switches sold total between January & February, so that gives us a total about $265M, leaving us with at most about $194M for March. That gives us an upper limit of ~730k. Since the Switch was #1 in both units and revenue in March, that gives us a lower limit of ~705k, assuming 390k for the PS5.

The only issue here is I'm willing to bet that the PS5 was quite a bit higher than 390K, but we don't actually know its upper-end do we?  The only high-end constraints we have are total HW $ sales for all devices and Mat did not mention any single month/single quarter records for the Switch.  If PS5 inched closer to 450K for instance, then NSW is up in the low 800s (holding the same avg price assumptions).