By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March NPD 2021: Switch > 938k, PS5 > 473k , XBS > 234k

Thread update

Around the Network

VGChartz Nintendo Switch sales are pretty good. Not that we have exact figures just extrapolating what we know. We definitely have PS5 too low, so adjustments are incoming. With 1 week missing compared to NPD we have Switch at 719K, PS5 at 264K, and XSX|S at 202K.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

PS5 continues pace as the fastest selling console in its first year at a $500 price point, while the Dualsense is the best selling accessory for the entire quarter, even the headset seems to be doing well. Miles Morales is showing incredible legs, charting in the top 5 every month since launch, and it has already outsold TLOU2 & GoT with the majority of sales being on the PS5.

Its looking like the Switch's NPD streak will last until 2022 tbh. MK8 has also become the best selling racing game in NA.

Spiderman MM has now outsold TLOU2 and Ghost in the US

Ryng said:

PlayStation 5 is the fastest selling console in U.S. history 
in both unit and dollar sales (lifetime sales with five months on the market).

Nice !

Around the Network
kenjab said:

NPD data is out.  Not going to post it all here, but here's Mat Piscatella's initial tweet--you can click it to see the whole thread:

Highlights:

- In March, Switch top selling HW in both sales and revenue
- PS5 best selling console ever through 5 months
- For Q1, Switch highest unit sales but PS5 highest revenue
- Top 3 SW: 1. CoD Cold War, 2. MHR, 3. Outriders

Edit: 2 more highlights:
- Mario Kart 8 now the highest selling racing game of all time (I believe this combines WiiU & Switch versions)
- Monster Hunter Rise already second best selling Monster Hunter by dollar sales of all time behind World

Incredible numbers all around the board. Absolutely incredible!

Another great month for both the Switch and the PS5, seems like we've got our winning pattern for the rest of the year folks !

Now, it'd would have been more interesting to see a comparison done with the unit sales or revenue sales with the Switch YoY to resolve an approx. number, but they do not seem to want to do so.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

If we knew the average split between the disc and digital editions of the PS4 and between the standard Switch and the Lite, we could make a calculation for the Switch's minimum sales for March.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Shadow1980 said:

If we knew the average split between the disc and digital editions of the PS4 and between the standard Switch and the Lite, we could make a calculation for the Switch's minimum sales for March.

Here's Nintendo's data on shipments to "The Americas" so not entirely US specific, but the closest we can get.

Would suggest ASP around $265 is a solid bet.  Doubt its far off from the $260 - 270 range.

I don't get what's so special about CoD that Americans just buy it by default

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also