By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Scalpers reckon you'll pay $2600 for Super Mario 3D All-Stars

I can't legitimately think of a good reason for Nintendo to discontinue the 3D Mario collection. Even if it's to create artificial scarcity and drive the value high, you'd think they would end up selling more in the long run. This game had the potential of being a 10 million seller by the end of the Switch's lifespan.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Yeah it's such a strange move. Are they gonna increase their online subscription fee and include these games for free in the future? But then again they could've just done that straight away, without releasing the collection.
I'm sure there's a reason for it and the people at Nintendo find it valid enough, I'm just curious to know what it is :p

Valdney said:

The massive sales of this collection pretty much guarantees a low price forever. There is always going to be a good supply of copies out there.

That is not necessarily true. Pokemon games always sell 10+ Million copies and used copies of certain Pokemon Gens still regularly exceed 50€ when in good condition.

Seems like a great deal to me. I would easily sell mine for $2600 if morons start paying that much for it. $60 turned into $2600 in a matter of months is a crazy return on investment. Better than paying $60 and selling later for $1.27.

You can blame Nintendo.

Around the Network

Scalpers will exist in a free market that is not regulated. Should it be regulated? I mean then how do you deal with people who collect cards, games, consoles, coins, etc.. It is what it is. At some point prices will balance to demand.

kopstudent89 said:

Scalpers will exist in a free market that is not regulated. Should it be regulated? I mean then how do you deal with people who collect cards, games, consoles, coins, etc.. It is what it is. At some point prices will balance to demand.

The first thing I would say is the method of acquisition is one differentiator, the manipulation of the market by bots who's use exacerbates any shortage leading to prices being  driving up even more.

I like to think of this analogy a lottery in the US some years ago had a jackpot that an Australian Professor of Mathematics worked out was large enough that the cost of buying enough tickets to account for all the different combinations would still leave you with a huge profit,so he devised a computer program that covered those combinations then gained investors to cover the outlay and by having a local team use the program to auto buy all those tickets online in the US state the lottery was part of they won more than just the jackpot because they also had a huge number of divisional prizes making hundreds of millions.

now comes the part that matters the states changed the law to stop computer generated online purchases so if that's deemed unacceptable manipulation so should bot use. 

Last edited by mjk45 - on 08 April 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

No one bought the game at that price, relax.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

There probably are more copies of this game than working copies of Super Mario Bros for NES. This is not a rare game.

kopstudent89 said:

Absolutely should not be regulated.  Luxury items (which include videogames) are not needs, thus do not need regulation.  Look I want a ps5 and can't find one, which is annoying, but I don't blame scalpers.  I blame the morons who drop 200-300% over MSRP.  People act like not having a videogame in their collection or not having a console day 1 is some how a major catastrophe, when clearly it isn't.  The people willing to buy over MSRP created the market, not the scalpers.