By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Switch in Japan sell as much in Monster Hunter launch week as it did in Animal Crossing launch week?

Tagged games:

Will Switch sell more on MonHun release than on AC release?

yes, >392,576 5 $672.11 27.78%

no, <=392,576 13 $2,649.00 72.22%

Totals: 18 $3,321.11  
Game closed: 03/25/2021

No, even with stock. ~400k in one week is quite the achievement for any console in Japan, so doing it twice is difficult.

Around the Network

Well, tomorrow it will happen. The majority here voted for no, and in the amounts even more so. 15 people (or 72%) placed bets for $2,649.00 (nearly 80%) for the no option, Animal Crossing week will reign supreme. Only 5 people (28%) placed a bet amount of $672.11 (20%) on the possibility that this week will see higher Switch sales. Next week we will know more.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Considering that World was more casual than hardcore fans would have liked, Rise has a lot of their established fanbase thirsty for another traditional entry. On the other side of that coin, World also got a lot of new people into the franchise in general. With both of those being a factor, and Rise being a MAJOR, console exclusive...I would say it is likely to beat AC in the short term. Those long term legs however is another discussion entirely.

I do think that lifetime, Rise will sell more than World on all platforms combined...or at the very least come very close to it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

Considering that World was more casual than hardcore fans would have liked, Rise has a lot of their established fanbase thirsty for another traditional entry. On the other side of that coin, World also got a lot of new people into the franchise in general. With both of those being a factor, and Rise being a MAJOR, console exclusive...I would say it is likely to beat AC in the short term. Those long term legs however is another discussion entirely.

I do think that lifetime, Rise will sell more than World on all platforms combined...or at the very least come very close to it.

Possible. But the bet was about Switch sales, not game sales

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
Shiken said:

Possible. But the bet was about Switch sales, not game sales

Ah my mistake.  That is a bit more tricky, due to the volume of Switch's already out there and AC already helping to push that number.  Given this is japan however, and it is Switch console exclusive, I still think it will sell more hardware week one for the same reasons I talked about above.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I find it very difficult. Never seen anything like Animal Crossing launch. It was just the perfect game at the perfect time (AC suits the pandemic lifestyle) on a system that was very appealing and still was not as saturated as it is now. I personally would be surprised if it sold way over 200k. I'm going with 180-200k range as a prediction

Just for reference: Switch sales during AC week is the highest week sales for the Switch ever. Genuinely unheard of a console weekly sales peaking with a game release. Usually sales peak either during launch or Christmas in Japan

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Switch sold 267,497 units, less than the AC week.

Mnementh said:

Switch sold 267,497 units, less than the AC week.

By a long shot too. Even with perfect stock situation MHR wouldn't have done it. AC week was something quite special.

Did anyone betting no getting their payout yet? I notified the mods, but I don't know if it happened. You should see the payout on your profile, if you click on VG$.