By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Being a gamer is really hard around here...

Hi guys! Well, as some of you guys already know, (but since I don't talk too much, others might don't know) I live in Brazil. I'm a gamer since my early childhood. I own a SNES (RIP), a NES Clone (RIP), A Playstation 2 and a 2DS.

But in the last years I became a PC gamer. I love playing on my computer, I have a Steam account where I buy my games.

Well, it's been quite some time since I'm planning to upgrade my Specs, but well, other things from life stands on my way. I'm not complaining, because I'm still fine with my Geforce GT 730. Yeah, that's my graphic card.

So, let's see... Here in Brazil, the current minimum wage is R$ 1.100. The President already raised it this year.

I was searching for some PC components at some popular sites, and... Look at this.

Yeah, a GTX750 Ti 2GB costs a salary. And that's not even close to being a very strong GPU.

Want a RTX Ready Graphic card?

Guys, that... I know, it looks funny, but it's something that we, brazilian gamers, had to deal with since a long time ago!

Look at that!

I'm not making this post to complain or draw attention, I just want to share how hard it is to be a gamer in my country. Even it being a big market for videogames.

Thanks for your patience.

Around the Network

I've heard of for years of how expensive video games are in Brazil. I think the import fees need to get reduced drastically so more Brazilians can enjoy gaming.
Vini64 (A YouTuber) said a Wii U in Brazil cost about $400 United States dollars. That's a increase of about $100.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

I've heard of for years of how expensive video games are in Brazil. I think the import fees need to get reduced drastically so more Brazilians can enjoy gaming.
Vini64 (A YouTuber) said a Wii U in Brazil cost about $400 United States dollars. That's a increase of about $100.

Yeah, that's right.

Technology as a whole is pretty expensive here.

Are PS5s actually in stock there? Prices are much better here, still bad compared to the USA (Canada) but it's all moot. Can't get anything. I've been trying to upgrade to 32GB of RAM since the end of Januari and currently in the process to get my money back after a non delivery, no response, newegg.ca

Outrageous prices suck as well. Is game pass also inflated in Brazil? Or can you get that at a reasonable price.

Anyway theoretically the PS5 and Series X cost CAD 630 and CAD 600 (add 13% tax) not too bad but ps4 pro at launch was still CAD 400 here.

SvennoJ said:

Are PS5s actually in stock there? Prices are much better here, still bad compared to the USA (Canada) but it's all moot. Can't get anything. I've been trying to upgrade to 32GB of RAM since the end of Januari and currently in the process to get my money back after a non delivery, no response, newegg.ca

Outrageous prices suck as well. Is game pass also inflated in Brazil? Or can you get that at a reasonable price.

Anyway theoretically the PS5 and Series X cost CAD 630 and CAD 600 (add 13% tax) not too bad but ps4 pro at launch was still CAD 400 here.

Game Pass is less expensive here, so is PS Plus. PS store now sells games on average of 50 USD instead of 60, still expensive (for a brazillian) but I see an effort for both Sony and Microsoft voluntarily reducing their profit margins to keep operating here

This guy problem is hardware. We don't produce shit here, everything is imported and economic crisis destroyed our currency. In March 2018 1 USD was about 3,2 BRL. Now it's about 5,6 BRL. As such the price of everything imported went up about 80%. In the launch year you could buy a Switch on grey market for like 1600 BRL, now be lucky to find one for less than 2700 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

No, Game Pass is usually praised here in Brazil. It's not very expensive, and you get a lot of games. Fair enough.

Also, Steam games can be bought by a nice price. Lots of discounts too.

Usually, stuff via Download is affordable here. That's why lots of people in Brazil get their games that way. Except when the company itself chooses to charge extra money just because they are mean...

Essh

It is kinda crazy how a 3070 is cheaper than the ps5 considering the state of GPUs but they are both overpriced from what I can tell. Too bad. Hopefully the prices come down soon enough.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I totally understand you bro :( 

My advice is to look for some free to play games while you save money for upgrade your PC. Hope you are employed, around 30% of our age group is currently unemployed now 

Avoid buying next gen consoles for a while. Those are scalpers sellers, the official price tag for PS5 is 4700 BRL for standard model and 4200 BRL for digital model, don't accept to pay a penny above it. I'm also sure both MS and Sony will make price cuts next year  they won't do this now because demand is in the skies, but once the hype slow down they will quickly understand they can't sell a console for over 4x the minimum Brazilian wage 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 18 March 2021

Captain_Yuri said:

Essh

It is kinda crazy how a 3070 is cheaper than the ps5 considering the state of GPUs but they are both overpriced from what I can tell. Too bad. Hopefully the prices come down soon enough.

Around here, one of the argument from people that plays on consoles, other than exclusive games, is the fact that you will waste a lot of money on GPU, while the price of a PS5/Series/Switch is way lower.

It's pretty crazy.

I know it sucks, but honestly give me a PS3 or a PC similar to it (I would guess 730 is around that level of performance) and I'm set for life.

I have a 1660ti and I hardly ever use its power since I mostly play games that are 10 to 20 years old, I'm considering selling it for profit now that prices are crazy.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.