By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Being a gamer is really hard around here...

PC gaming is a no go for DIY builders unless you're either really lucky or willing spend over the odds for a new components and thats worldwide.

Sucks for consoles prices in Brazil though. Even without looking at shortage your taxes and prices there are frankly insane.

Around the Network

Heh, try being a Nintendo gamer in Brazil, its even worse. Games are sold at full dolar price here. One original game costs around 400BRL, wich basically means ONE game costs a about a THIRD of a full Month's Salary, its ridiculous. Plus Nintendo doesn't have a game pass sort of thing, so if you enjoy their games here in Brazil, youre totally f*****

Yeah pricing of physical items suck but I'm buying lots of digital stuff from Brazil.
Obviously still expensive for Brazilians but very cheap when you're from Europe. The weakness of the BRL obviously helps a lot.

Ka-pi96 said:

What exactly is the problem? Stuff is so cheap?

I mean, you're saying an RTX 3070 is 10x the minimum wage and a PS5 is 9x the minimum wage? Just compared that to how things are here and a 3070 is 146x minimum wage while a PS5 is 54x minimum wage. Y'all are lucky!

I have a feeling that he was posting the annual salary of someone on minimum wage.

It's the minimum wage per month.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/949779/evolution-minimum-wage-brazil/

So around $1.12 an hour. (month being ~22 working days á 8 hours)

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I have a feeling that he was posting the annual salary of someone on minimum wage.

Why? What would it even be based on, 40 hour weeks?

If that is the case though, wow, that's crazy! You'd have to work 40? hours a week for 10 years just to buy a graphics card? :O

The minimum wage in Brazil is monthly.  About $200 a month.  For reference American minimum wage is roughly $1200 a month.  The hardware cost roughly the same (plus tax).

I guess as minimum wage does not reflect the true income for some countries and in practice average income can be much higher than minimum wages I will use the average wage instead

The average monthly wage in Brazil for a 40-44 weekly working hours is about 1800 BRL, roughly 320 USD

Unfortunately over 80% of Brazilian employees are below the average wage so yeah

It's hard in all of Latin America, buddy. Just consider that, while we live in developing countries where in the best case scenario we win between 70 and 100 dollars in entry-level jobs a week, everything related to video games is nonetheless more expensive than in the United States.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Yeah, that's right.

Technology as a whole is pretty expensive here.

How much does a Xbox Series S cost? It is much faster than your current PC and should be supported for a lot of years.

If GamePass Ultimate is priced okay (f. e. by turning XBL Gold months to GamePass Ultimate), you could play a lot of games on the Xbox and your PC.

Or wait a few months until GamePass games can be streamed on PC... your PC should be fast enough as streaming client (if you have a good internet connection).

I remember PC gaming back in the glorious Lula and Dilma days. Easy peasy bringing high-end shit back from Orlando. Now the American dollar is literally three times more expensive and the retailers themselves scalp PC components like RTX GPUs.