By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Being a gamer is really hard around here...

It's the minimum wage per month.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/949779/evolution-minimum-wage-brazil/

So around $1.12 an hour. (month being ~22 working days á 8 hours)



Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I have a feeling that he was posting the annual salary of someone on minimum wage.

Why? What would it even be based on, 40 hour weeks?

If that is the case though, wow, that's crazy! You'd have to work 40? hours a week for 10 years just to buy a graphics card? :O

The minimum wage in Brazil is monthly.  About $200 a month.  For reference American minimum wage is roughly $1200 a month.  The hardware cost roughly the same (plus tax).



I guess as minimum wage does not reflect the true income for some countries and in practice average income can be much higher than minimum wages I will use the average wage instead

The average monthly wage in Brazil for a 40-44 weekly working hours is about 1800 BRL, roughly 320 USD

Unfortunately over 80% of Brazilian employees are below the average wage so yeah



It's hard in all of Latin America, buddy. Just consider that, while we live in developing countries where in the best case scenario we win between 70 and 100 dollars in entry-level jobs a week, everything related to video games is nonetheless more expensive than in the United States.



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

mZuzek said:

Import taxes have always been bad, but the situation's grown far, far worse than ever before due to the country's free-falling economy. A dollar used to cost R$2.50 not too many years ago, now it's close to R$6 and constantly going up. And up... and up...

As a quick example, I bought a GTX 1060 about two years ago, for a then hefty price of R$1300. I can't find that model for sale now, but I do see the 1050 Ti, an inferior model, for R$1700. So it's considerably more expensive than a superior GPU bought two years ago. The prices of these things tend to go down over time, as with most technology, which only goes to show how far our economy's gone to shit.

Of course, it was always gonna go to shit, that was quite predictable when the people decided to elect a completely ignorant retard as president.

That aside, GPU prices seem to have exploded worldwide, so it may be easier to gauge your situation using the example of a different product.

The RTX 3060 and 3060 Ti have an MSRP of $329 and $399. But this is what they were sold for at launch.

That's higher than the MSRP for the much more powerful RTX 3080. ($699)
And these all sell out in seconds.

Last edited by Hiku - on 18 March 2021

Around the Network
Hiku said:
mZuzek said:

As a quick example, I bought a GTX 1060 about two years ago, for a then hefty price of R$1300. I can't find that model for sale now, but I do see the 1050 Ti, an inferior model, for R$1700. So it's considerably more expensive than a superior GPU bought two years ago. The prices of these things tend to go down over time, as with most technology, which only goes to show how far our economy's gone to shit.

That aside, GPU prices seem to have exploded worldwide, so it may be easier to gauge your situation using the example of a different product.

The RTX 3060 and 3060 Ti have an MSRP of $329 and $399. But this is what they were sold for at launch.

That's higher than the MSRP for the much more powerful RTX 3080. ($699)
And these all sell out in seconds.

Well, if they sell out in seconds, that kinda explains it, right? It's similar to the PS5 prices here. Those might not be the very top-end GPUs, but they're not far from it. New models, and stuff.

Are old GPUs like the 1050 Ti also going up in price everywhere? Cause I feel that's a Brazil thing only.



mZuzek said:

Well, if they sell out in seconds, that kinda explains it, right? It's similar to the PS5 prices here. Those might not be the very top-end GPUs, but they're not far from it. New models, and stuff.

Are old GPUs like the 1050 Ti also going up in price everywhere? Cause I feel that's a Brazil thing only.

I'm not super familiar with the 10 series, but from what I can tell they seem to be back to their 2017 launch price again.
Which isn't nearly as bad as what's happening to newer or more powerful GPU's.

The reason more powerful GPU's are so expensive is a combination of crypto miners buying them all up, and scalpers buying what's left.
And retailers and/or manufacturers are also in on the scalping, by selling the cards far above the intended MSRP.

At least PS5's are still sold at MSRP, when they are in stock. Which isn't often.

Last edited by Hiku - on 18 March 2021

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Yeah, that's right.

Technology as a whole is pretty expensive here.

How much does a Xbox Series S cost? It is much faster than your current PC and should be supported for a lot of years.

If GamePass Ultimate is priced okay (f. e. by turning XBL Gold months to GamePass Ultimate), you could play a lot of games on the Xbox and your PC.

Or wait a few months until GamePass games can be streamed on PC... your PC should be fast enough as streaming client (if you have a good internet connection).



I remember PC gaming back in the glorious Lula and Dilma days. Easy peasy bringing high-end shit back from Orlando. Now the American dollar is literally three times more expensive and the retailers themselves scalp PC components like RTX GPUs.



 

 

 

 

 

Conina said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Yeah, that's right.

Technology as a whole is pretty expensive here.

How much does a Xbox Series S cost? It is much faster than your current PC and should be supported for a lot of years.

If GamePass Ultimate is priced okay (f. e. by turning XBL Gold months to GamePass Ultimate), you could play a lot of games on the Xbox and your PC.

Or wait a few months until GamePass games can be streamed on PC... your PC should be fast enough as streaming client (if you have a good internet connection).

A Series S costs around 2.799 BRL.