By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dark City vs The Matrix

Which is better?

Dark City 14 35.90%

The Matrix 25 64.10%

Total:39

I do understans that some looking back.. Dark city may seem more "cool" becourse low budget and Kiefer.. I loved it too.. But Matrix 1 was mindblowing in so many ways when it came.

When I left the teater after watching it back in 1999.. people didnt speak when walking out.. First after like 30 sec. people startet speakin.. the reason for this is that we all have this..."is this a dream" what is real and so some times.. And Matrix hit that perfect.

The most fuck up thing is that "matrix" may very well be real.. Great number of very smart people (including my self :) see "Simulation theory" as very likely.. because it do in fact turn out that our reality (atoms) when looking closely behave more "matrix" than "real world"

There is no spoon... only the ladder is real... Remember ;)

Last edited by FromDK - on 16 March 2021

Around the Network

To those who say they haven't seen Dark City, I highly recommend checking it out, with one warning; WATCH THE DIRECTOR'S CUT. The original cut stupidly spoils the twist in the opening prologue cos they thought audiences needed things spelled out for them.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

curl, I love you. Thank you for this thread :)

Dark City is one of my favorite movies. It's a sci-fi masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. The Matrix is a really interesting, stylish, provocative movie, but I was never able to connect with it. So, Dark City for me.

I think The Matrix ended up using some sets from Dark City, if I'm not mistaken?

You are most welcome. :)

And yes, some of the sets for Dark City where reused for The Matrix the following year.

Yeah I didnt like dark city that much. I liked the idea, but didnt like the movie.
Matrix on the other hand was pretty awesome

I will check out the dark city

Matrix is leagues above Dark City, some people just like protest voting, 'alternative' thinking, hating on what's popular etc.

I liked Dark City but it clearly could have used bigger budget. One scene that I remember clearly was when the city was shown from a distance in space and water was washing aside the city, it looked cool but made no sense.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

Love both. Combined with Equilibrium (and maybe eXistenz), you have a fine dystopian, reality-bending Scifi saga. Too bad about those Matrix sequels.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Does anyone know if Dark City is on any of the popular streaming services, and if so which one?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Does anyone know if Dark City is on any of the popular streaming services, and if so which one?

In my contry it dosn't seem to be anywhere other than video rental sites.

But have you seen animatrix? Most will all agree that matrix 2+3 was not in the same league as the original.. but matrix animated (9 small movies) was storywise imo.

2 of the best...

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU8RunvBRZ8

part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00TD4bXMoYw

EDDIT.. sorry dont watch.. jusy realized some has been cut out.. my bad.. but point is.. many havent seen anymatrix.. and thats a shame.. good day :)

Last edited by FromDK - on 17 March 2021

m0ney said:

Matrix is leagues above Dark City, some people just like protest voting, 'alternative' thinking, hating on what's popular etc.

I liked Dark City but it clearly could have used bigger budget.

Spoiler!
One scene that I remember clearly was when the city was shown from a distance in space and water was washing aside the city, it looked cool but made no sense.

One, massive spoilers, a lot of people haven't seen the movie yet.
Two, does the Matrix make more sense to you?

Spoiler!
(They clearly mastered gravity manipulation so it makes perfect sense with that in mind)

Three, if people don't agree with you it must be a protest vote? There's a lot more to movies than flash.

The Matrix was an amazing experience in the cinema, stunning, jaw dropping. It introduced the pause/slow mo pan around shot to cinema and commercials. The movie also has very drawn out sections and takes forever to get going on repeat viewings. Plus the whole you are the one stuff is always iffy.

Action scenes are top notch, still great to watch. But on repeat viewings, I'll sit down and can watch Dark city in its entirety while seeing new details. The Matrix I simply watch the good bits to enjoy the amazing sound effects. music and still cool visuals.

Anyway the one thing The Matrix is leagues ahead of Dark City is in budget!

SvennoJ said:

if people don't agree with you it must be a protest vote?

Not me but general public. Matrix is regarded as one of the best sci-fi movies of all time, it has nothing to do with my opinion.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.