By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best/Fav Wes Anderson Films

An SNL skit I came across earlier inspired me to marathon and finish Wes Anderson's filmography (his features, anyway):

Out of what you've seen, which are your favorites? Which would you say is his objective best?

Me:
1. Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox
3. Isle of Dogs
4. The Darjeeling Limited
5. Moonrise Kingdom
6. Rushmore
7. The Royal Tenenbaums
8. The Life Aquatic
9. Bottle Rocket

I generally like Wes at his most unique and charming. I'd say Grand Budapest is Wes at his best with his characters, dialogue, comedy, and presentation all in top form. How about you?

Around the Network

In order:

Grand Budapest Hotel
The Royal Tenenbaums
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Rushmore
Moonrise Kingdom
The Life Aquatic
Isle of Dogs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Still haven't watched all of his work, but from what I've seen:

Grand Budapest Hotel
Moonrise Kingdom
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Darjeeling Limited
Royal Tenenbaums

1. Fantastic Mr. Fox
2. The Life Aquatic
3. The Darjeeling Limited
4. The Royal Tenenbaums
5. Isle Of Dogs
6. Grand Budapest Hotel
7. Moonrise Kingdom
8. Bottle Rocket
9. Rushmore

For me

1. Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Moonrise Kingdom
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. The Darjeeling Limited
5. The Royal Tenenbaums
6. Isle of Dogs
7. The Life Aquatic
8. Bottle Rocket
9. Rushmore

I got them all on blu-ray, and that also the order of most watched.

Grand Budapest is the total package, characters and style wise.
Moonrise Kingdom I really enjoy the filming style, framing wise, same as Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I thought I would like Isle of Dogs more. It's a good movie, but I haven't felt like watching it again yet. The 5 ahead of it give me more incentive to watch again. The last 3 all have lesser parts where I lose attention.

Around the Network

Oh nice. I still have to watch many of his movies, but I am always quite enthralled with them. My order:

The Life Aquatic <---> Grand Budapest Hotel (can't decide which one I like more)

Isle of Dogs

Moonrise Kingdom

The Royal Tenenbaums

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

1.- Fantastic Mr Fox
2.- Grand Budapest Hotel
3.- The Life Aquatic
4.- Isle of Dogs
5.- Moonrise Kingdom
6.- Rushmore
7.- The Royal Tenenbaums
8.- Darjeeling Limited
9.- Bottle Rocket

Seen them all, loved them all to different degrees, but hands down Fantastic Mr Fox would have to be my favorite and its one of my favorite animated films of all time.

I thought you were talking about the guy from the Resident Evil movies.

I really love the Fantastic Mr. Fox and I think Isle of Dogs is really good too. For whatever reason, I couldn't get into the live action films that I've seen from him.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I really love the Fantastic Mr. Fox and I think Isle of Dogs is really good too. For whatever reason, I couldn't get into the live action films that I've seen from him.

I think that there is a reason for. Wes Anderson strips the roles of the obvious expressions of emotion, facial and verbal. They seem on first glance emotionless. But in reality all the figures in his movies are full of emotion, but they express them differently or barely at all. This gives a strange feeling of emotional distance. But you can dig and you will find their expressions of emtions and you can relate to the figures. You just have to look for the small gestures.

In the animated movies the dolls don't have this much range of facial expression to begin with. Also most are animals here. So viewers expect a different way to see the emotional ranges from the beginning.

You may think of it as like the Witcher. He doesn't show emotionsto a point that others think Witchers don't have emotions at all. But Geralt has very well emotions, only he doesn't show them easily. In Wes Anderson movies everyone is like a Witcher in that regard.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]