By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mummelmann said:
ConservagameR said:

Just tore through 1899.
My gosh it was fantastic. Reminded me a bit of Inception, The Matrix, The Order 1886, and Destiny.
Is it just me or is that triangle symbol, that 30 Seconds to Mars also uses, not a coincidence, or am I crazy?

When I immediately went looking for info about season 2 after finishing, man was I shocked. Season 2 and 3 cancelled? WTF? This turn of events is even more confusing than the show was, though not in a pleasant manner this time.

It's a truly brilliant show - love how they tighten the grip by adding all the language barriers and making the characters rely more on sheer human touch for understanding. Also, the music is amazing, disturbing and downright whacky at times, it fits the tone of the show perfectly.

I'll be starting "Dark" within the next few weeks. It's from the same writers and producers, and it's supposed to be really good as well. And, as a bonus, there's actually 3 seasons of it.

Same here. The music always stands out to me and it's on another level here. They've got whatever Bungie has going on in their heads when it comes to just the right music and tone. I'll never forget that first Destiny trailer where the Guardian tells the Ghost to play something classical, and it plays Immigrant Song by Zeppelin. It's scary how well it fit, in such a witty and satisfying way. White Rabbit and the renditions tone hits the mark as if you were threading a needle after finding it in a haystack.

I'll have to check it out as well. If it's even half as good as 1899 it'll be worth it. They sure seem to know what they're doing. Didn't the 1899 intro say the production company was Dark Pictures or something like that? Putting your name on the product is typically a really good sign.

Around the Network

I also really enjoyed 1899, and was super bummed by its cancellation. So much lost potential.

And Dark is a masterpiece, one of my favourite shows of all time. It is a slow burn, but stick with it; once the stage it set and the mind games begin in earnest it is utterly brilliant. From the atmosphere, to the twists, to the performances, the creative team hit it out of the park.
And thankfully, it was allowed to run its course and come to a natural (and superb) conclusion instead of being either cancelled or artifically dragged out.

Saw the new 911 Lone Star. Those poor frogs.

Demon Slayer: I have a pretty serious like/hate relationship with this one. I don't think I've ever seen such a wildly imbalanced show in my life. On one hand, it has some of the most incredibly animated action I've ever seen with moments that genuinely get my heart pumping. On the other hand, it has some of the worst writing I've ever endured to go with it. The dialogue and interior monologues are particularly atrocious and it was physically painful for me to get through the early episodes. Eventually I started fast forwarding through bits that annoyed me (such as basically any time Zenitsu gets on his bullshit) which helped. It gets a bit more tolerable in the latest season but also starts transforming into a typical shonen that all but gives up on storytelling and milks fights for several episodes. Still, the latest climax was one incredible sight to behold. This show has some SERIOUS negatives, but the positives make it worth it - at least as long as I can fast forward when I want.

Mummelmann said:

It's a truly brilliant show - love how they tighten the grip by adding all the language barriers and making the characters rely more on sheer human touch for understanding. Also, the music is amazing, disturbing and downright whacky at times, it fits the tone of the show perfectly.

I'll be starting "Dark" within the next few weeks. It's from the same writers and producers, and it's supposed to be really good as well. And, as a bonus, there's actually 3 seasons of it.

Oh, I didn't know that it was by the writers from Dark, now I'm interested. The title screen didn't speak to me, can't remember the description, just browsed passed it. Will give it a go once I finish Dead to me.

I still need to rewatch Dark, first season was amazing, yet there was too much time between seasons for me to remember everything so S2 and S3 just got increasingly confusing as I didn't know who was who anymore. No issue if you start it now :)

On TV Irreverent is proving to be quite a fun show. Chigago criminal ends up in rural Australia hiding out as a reverend. Great cast of characters. Great humor.

Around the Network
Spoiler!
Black Panther Wakanda Forever. I don't care what Namor has to protect, I wanna see him gutted and fried for what he did in Wakanda.

I just watched some to all of all eight Silver Age Disney films to see which ones I liked and which ones I didn’t… while high (Cannabis). Usually the ones I didn’t like I switched off after 20 minutes, or paid little attention after that point. But I was glued to the screen for the ones that I did like :D

The Silver Age of Disney began in after 7 years of what is generally regarded as weaker films than the “Golden Age” (Fantasia, Bambi, Pineecheo, Snow White, and I think one more). It is the longest era of Disney, running from 1950 and ran until 1967.

———————
Cinderella (1950) thumbs down - I actually watched the whole thing (well, not really, wasn’t paying attention a lot of the time), but there was too much fluff for my tastes. It felt like a Golden Age Disney film, and I’m not a big fan of that era (Fantasia aside… Fantasia is stunning).

Alice in Wonderland (1951) Thumbs up - while this is stereotypically the “get high and watch” film, I think it falls short of a few other Disney films. Because t this one is filled with drug references from colourful psychedelic hookah smoking caterpillars, to eating various grow and shrinking mushrooms and tabs, to sugar which is obviously cocaine at the mad hatter’s. I rank this one fourth.

Peter Pan (1953) Thumbs up for the first half, down for the second - The first half of it is brilliant, the story dealing with their parents is a decent beginning, but then it gets really fun with the animations and stuff (Now I know why Tinkerbell is a Stoner icon). Solid story! Also, Peter Pan appears to be an aspiring flirtatious womanizer who looks like an ass, and flirts with every woman in Neverland, making Wendy and Tinkerbell jealous—and simultaneously doesn’t seem to realize any of it. But then something happens in the middle of the film just gets really slow, and heavy on cartoony stuff, racism, and gay pirates. Probably the most entertaining part of it is “I can’t believe the racist turn this film took” — and I’m not saying this to be preachy, I think even people entertained by cartoonish racism while on cannabis would still be like “WTF? How long does this stupid shit go on for? Uh, I’m just going to watch Chipmunk Adventure again.”

Lady and the Tramp (1955) Thumbs up - this one was great, whole way through except one song with dogs howling at the pound before a dog execution. Which… while high, felt like it went on for 20 minutes - even though it was probably 2 or 3. This one was third for me.

Sleeping Beauty (1959) Thumbs up - This one is so fun to watch while high. In my opinion, it tops Alice in Wonderland. It’s probably my favourite of the bunch. Maleficent is way over the top evil - lots of Satan and Lucifer in her. Also, the film has a lot of Christian and Germanic folklore, and well as Greek and Roman mythology referenced. There was only one other contender for the top spot… easy to guess…

The 101 Dalmatians (1961) Thumbs up - and this is that contender. Hard to compare since this film to Sleeping Beauty because it’s different enough, but also of very high quality. The animation work in this is some of the best in 2D animation, ever. Cruela, again, a very over the top evil villain. Between her and Maleficent, I think these are the two best Disney villains of all time. Jaffar, Scar, and other later ones feel derivative… and maybe too sane, less fun, less involved, to be as fun. Plus I like the sarcasm in this film—the snarky “Cruella De Vil” song is one of the best in Disney.

Sword in the Stone (1963) Thumbs down - I watched the whole thing, and did not enjoy it. Much like Cinderella, it wasn’t holding my attention. Filled with fluff. Also the most cartoony of the bunch.

The Jungle Book (1967) Thumbs down - It had promise, the opening was good, but then the film gets fluffy very quickly, and felt a lot like Sword in the Stone from that point on, so I ended it about 20 minutes in. The film felt a little cartoony, and too much like a Golden Age Disney film, which most will probably love, not me.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 05 February 2023

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Vox Machina S2: Loved the character development this season! It was so great to get to know the cast better with lots of endearing moments, serious stakes, and leveled up animation. Can't wait for S3 and looking forward to even more stories in this vein:

It's pretty great seeing adult animation actually become a thing in the West and the fruits it's quickly bearing.

Been watching the new Smurfs cartoon. FINALLY another cartoon reboot that doesn't suck!!

About to start Shrinking,
It’s a comedy/dark comedy about a psychiatrist (or psychologist) entering a midlife crisis catalyzed by something happening with his wife. It’s created by and starring Jason Segel and co-starring Harrison Ford. The Showrunner is Bill Lawrence, the same guy who does Ted Lasso, and also co-creator of Spin City and Clone High.
I don’t know much about it yet, but I’m guessing I’ll like it based Jason Segel alone, I’ve been a big fan of everything he’s done (that I’ve seen). The fourth episode came out yesterday, will probably do episode 1 tomorrow, or in a month when it’s all out, or almost all out.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.