By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I started watching Westworld S4. So far, first two episodes are good. I stuck to blu-ray this time after watching S3 on 4K HDR. No difference at all. The series is shot on 35mm, 4K HDR adds little to nothing. It looks awesome though, much better than digital 4K HDR cameras imo. Just a bit of noticeable stutter from the 24p footage on tvs designed for ultra fast pixel response.

And Just started watching Psychodessy, 20 hour documentary about the making of Psychonauts 2 (and Double fine studios)

Around the Network

Watched some bits from Robin Williams. Now I can't help but cry on the inside. :(

Jumpin said:

About to start Shrinking,
It’s a comedy/dark comedy about a psychiatrist (or psychologist) entering a midlife crisis catalyzed by something happening with his wife. It’s created by and starring Jason Segel and co-starring Harrison Ford. The Showrunner is Bill Lawrence, the same guy who does Ted Lasso, and also co-creator of Spin City and Clone High.
I don’t know much about it yet, but I’m guessing I’ll like it based Jason Segel alone, I’ve been a big fan of everything he’s done (that I’ve seen). The fourth episode came out yesterday, will probably do episode 1 tomorrow, or in a month when it’s all out, or almost all out.

Episode 1, in short, loved it.

If I were to describe it, it’s like Severance meets Forgetting Sarah Marshall. There were a few reimaginings of Forgetting Sarah Marshall jokes (the episode was written by Segel) but it carries the sort of heaviness of trauma of Severance. Harrison Ford basically plays same character as Brian (Bill Hader) who is the brother of Peter (Jason Segel) in the film Forgetting Sarah Marshall, except instead of his brother Harrison is a mentor/boss type character.

The show has cinema film-like camera work and production which I appreciate a great deal. There’s only four episodes out right now, but I’m looking forward to watching the rest throughout the week.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Ant-Man: Quantumania: All the pieces for a solid MCU entry are here, so why didn't I feel anything watching it? Is it fatigue? Pacing? The character? I'm not sure but for whatever reason this didn't buck the trend of underwhelming MCU films of late. Hopefully Guardians 3 does.

TallSilhouette said:

Ant-Man: Quantumania: All the pieces for a solid MCU entry are here, so why didn't I feel anything watching it? Is it fatigue? Pacing? The character? I'm not sure but for whatever reason this didn't buck the trend of underwhelming MCU films of late. Hopefully Guardians 3 does.

Evrything marvel does these days is so mid, so boring. Only shang shi and spiderman 3 good, saw last week wakanda forever and its so fucking bad too...

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
TallSilhouette said:

Evrything marvel does these days is so mid, so boring. Only shang shi and spiderman 3 good, saw last week wakanda forever and its so fucking bad too...

You're kidding, right? Wakanda Forever was excellent, especially compared to Thor Love and Thunder.

CaptainExplosion said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

You're kidding, right? Wakanda Forever was excellent, especially compared to Thor Love and Thunder.

Love and thunder was trash , wakanda was mid, only good thing in it was Angela Basset

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Love and thunder was trash , wakanda was mid, only good thing in it was Angela Basset

Wakanda Forever had it's flaws, but I say it was much better than mid.

I watched Rosaline on D+ before they delisted it - funny how it was on there for 5 days due to Comcast deal.

It was....not good at all. Was watching it with my wife and she literally fell asleep lmao.

I did fall asleep too but rewinded it (so I had to endure it for another 20 min).

Do not recommend at all lol

---

I did watch Ennalum Ente Aliya (Malayalam/Indian movie) on Amazon prime - it was okay, my wife and my parents didnt like it as much as other Indian films.

---

Also watched Black Panther Wakanda Forever - it wasnt as good as the first one but I have to say , it was the 3rd best MCU movie of Phase 4 - right behind Shang-Chi #2 and Spider-Man No Way Home #1.

I also started watching Ms Marvel but still on episode 1. Still need to finish Moon Knight, on episode 4.

I also need to start watching the 2nd season of the new proud family - the first season's last ep ended in a horrible cliffhanger with no news about a second season, cant believe they didnt even hype it or announce it - just shadow announced it like a month ago and was dropped with all eps earlier this month.

Its not as good as the original and a lot of pushing political agendas and stuff....but its whatever, just another one added to my watchlist.

---

As for my anime watching - this season has been great (and continuation of last season) - also I did finish the original Pokemon series (276 episodes with 5 movies an some specials)

Favorite anime so far I watched right now

-Blue Lock
-My Hero Academia Season 6
-Ningen Fushin
-To Your Eternity Season 2

Blue Lock and To Your Eternity are my top 2 favs currently - fantastic anime.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 22 February 2023

Over the last few months I watched the Orville.
Season 1 began as a Star Trek parody primarily focused on the original series, Next Generation, Voyager, and Battlestar Galactica. That quickly changed, and in some ways it became kind of like rebel Star Trek - that is Star Trek that kind of broke the rules. They remade episodes based on Voyager and the Original Series, you can tell they’re really big fans of it. The budget is quite low for this season, you can see mask errors and horrendous CG - it gets a lot better.

Season 2 added in some aesthetics from Star Wars in the action scenes and such, while maintaining the rebel Star Trek approach. This brought in some plot elements from Enterprise and Deep Space 9, on top of the TOS, TNG, and Voyager stuff.

Season 3 I felt the show really came into its own this season. It felt VERY Star Trek TOS Season 1, but also modern. The hard dilemmas and drama, and the courage to dive right into controversy made it feel more like an update of Star Trek TOS than any of the other shows to date. Part of the issue with Star Trek TNG onward is that it shies away from political controversy, while other Science Fiction shows weren’t so shy. 1960s TOS had no issues with cosmopolitanism, interracial relationships, communism, and so on. In the 80s and 90s TNG had these elements too, but we’re no longer politically controversial… partially because Star Trek TOS helped normalize these things.

Then there’s the dilemmas, TOS had episodes like The Conscience of a King, the City on the Edge of Forever, and A Taste of Armageddon, which have stuck with me—all of those just in season 1. Later Star Trek shows had episodes with dilemmas, but usually there wasn’t a bitter taste of victory for the characters. The Orville season 3 gives a price for victory in many episodes, and the episodes had a weight to them that is rare in the Star Trek spin-offs, they basically had several back to back episodes with dramatic weight equal to the heaviest TNG episodes - The Offspring, The Inner Light, and DS9’s heaviest episodes Duet and Sacrifice of Angels, and Voyager’s Course: Oblivion — except those great episodes were scattered across decade of programming, The Orville had them all lined up one after another.

The head writers of the show are Seth Macfarlane (Family Guy) and Brannon Braga (Star Trek Voyager, later TNG, and First Contact). They’ve done a great job with this series IMO. I’m hoping it’s back for 4.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 23 February 2023

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.