By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Finally, the Pokemon game we've all been waiting for?

Visually it comes up short against the 4 year old~ Breath of the Wild, which itself was a port from a weaker platform... But that game had A-class art direction.

I do need to give props to Game Freak for not just throwing out a target render and actually using in-game footage, full of aliasing artifacts and all, shows they have nothing to hide.
Some of the animations were half rate/quarter rate of the framerate, which stuck out like a sore thumb. (Can be seen at 1:05 in the video with the pokemon bobbing up and down.)

It is still a *massive* step up from Sword and Shield which still retained allot of 3DS level assets for a chunk of it's visual makeup and should never have been ported to Switch in the state it did.

But I personally can't help but want something more. - I'll give it a purchase and a playthrough though, graphics aren't everything, especially in a stylized title like this.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I think we will get it on the Switch 2

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Not sure if this was meant sarcastically or not, but Nintendo seems to have a lot on the horizon for 2022, compared to what seems, so far, like a pretty light 2021. Could just be a coincidence, but I would not be entirely shocked if Nintendo is targeting a lot of titles to 2022 to support some form of new hardware whether that's a revision or a new title, and things like Arceus and Splatoon 3 end up as cross gen. 

I don't think you've been wishing for an awful-looking game, so I'm afraid this isn't it. It looks closer to a prototype than what I'd call a full game that this company could deliver. You know, it's going to change, but I don't think by a lot. The open world angle and the fact that Pokémon seem to seamlessly hit themselves on the field rather than having to get through a transition screen are things that go in the right direction, but Game Freak is taking way too long to make these changes.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Mar1217 said:
h2ohno said:

By far the most exiting thing announced during Friday's Pokemon presentation was Pokemon Legends Arceus.

This is a massive, open world Pokemon game where you venture out into the wild and explore and find Pokemon living in the world.  It looks like Pokemon meets Breath of the Wild, and the trailer was trying to give Breath of the Wild vibes with certain shots.  This seems to be the game many of us wanted Sword and Shield to be, from the graphics being a huge improvement to the freedom and openness of the game.

That said, there are some problems.  The world seems pretty barren, with very few Pokemon on screen at any one time and no large Pokemon shown off to give off a sense of awe.  In addition, the framerate is bad, with some Pokemon looking like they are moving in single digit framerates.  Hopefully this is because they showed off an early unoptimized build since the game is at least a year away, but given Gamefreak's history of being unable to push whatever hardware they were working on there's plenty of reason for concern with the graphics.

If we're talking about GameFreak in the Switch-era, then no problem with the statement. However, they were some of the rarest devs to actually push their hardwares to the limit. 

The 3DS games were incredibly demanding, while the DS used 3D assests as well and continued to evolve the 2D pixel sprites to almost perfection at the end of the 5th Gen.

I'd actually say the Switch is the first console where GF hasn't been able to efficiently push the hardware to it's limit as they could.

Game Freak should have considered an expansion when they realized the jump to the Switch would mean something huge for them. Maybe I'm speaking too freely, but the quality of the visuals in both Sword/Shield and Legends (and the scope of the level design in the former, really) speak for themselves. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

It looked like a terrible game and not just graphically, but Pokemon games have been terrible for as long as I can remember and people still love them so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Ka-pi96 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I have to give it to GF, this is the most ambitious project they've taken on thus far. But ambition only gets them so far, they still haven't proven they can tackle anything of this scale (just look at SwSh performance and the state of the Wild Areas), so they really have to step up their game if they want this to be a success. Maybe that's the reason why they're outsorcing the DP remake, to focus on Breath of the Arceus, but how effective that will be, only time will tell.

Also, they better bring all pokemon back this time.

I actually disagree with this. I'd rather they have less Pokemon in future games rather than more.

It really annoys me how many Pokemon from previous gens they put in the new ones. The different regions in Pokemon don't feel that different if they all share the same Pokemon. I really loved gen 5 and Isshu for that reason. It only had new Pokemon, none of the old ones at all, which really made it feel new, unique and interesting. Unfortunately that doesn't seem like something that'll ever happen again, especially not with the recent gen 1 nostalgia drive Gamefreak have been on. But I'd still love more Pokemon that can only be found in a specific region, nowhere else, that makes those Pokemon, the region they're in and the game more interesting IMO.

I have mixed feelings about it

Half of Unova Pokemons are very ugly and copycat of the concepts of the original 150 Kanto Pokemons. GF proved they can't design 150 well looking monsters each gen, so they are focusing in making 60-70 better designed Pokemons and fulfilling the Dex with older Pokemons that's the best approach for the main story. It worked pretty well in both Kalos and Alola. Plus with that you can have some 200-250 Pokemons appearing before the League it means variety, BW suffers from repetitive encounters and battles because the smaller DeX, BW 2 corrected that 

Post-game is another thing entirely. Removing Pokemons is essentially removing content from competitive, it's true many Pokemons aren't ever appear on VGC because they are weak, but that are a crappy of useful Pokemons (and moves) that were removed from competitive and that sucks hard

That's said I don't think Legends will be a mainline pokemon, VGC will still be based on Sword and Shield, the Dex and Gameplay won't affect that. I'd better see them choosing 100-150 Pokemins and giving them good animations and assets than having a gargantuan DEX full of ugly animations 

I'm not big into Pokémon myself, but this looks genuinely interesting to me, more the kind of thing I expected from a Switch-gen Pokémon game and a big leap over Sword and Shield. It's too early to say if they'll pull it off, but it definitely looks promising and I appreciate the ambition and freshness.

As far as performance concerns, it's a year away, plenty of time to optimize and polish.

JWeinCom said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Not sure if this was meant sarcastically or not, but Nintendo seems to have a lot on the horizon for 2022, compared to what seems, so far, like a pretty light 2021. Could just be a coincidence, but I would not be entirely shocked if Nintendo is targeting a lot of titles to 2022 to support some form of new hardware whether that's a revision or a new title, and things like Arceus and Splatoon 3 end up as cross gen. 

Nah I really mean it. Switch, while an incredible portable console, has a lot of limitations in it's hardware. With a lot of innovative tech that Nvidia is coming up with will hopefully make it into the Switch 2 in some form and should allow the hardware leap to be quite massive assuming something weird doesn't happen. That and then you have Game Freak gaining experience into making open world Pokemon games should be a recipe for a pretty awesome Pokemon on the Switch 2.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Ka-pi96 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I have to give it to GF, this is the most ambitious project they've taken on thus far. But ambition only gets them so far, they still haven't proven they can tackle anything of this scale (just look at SwSh performance and the state of the Wild Areas), so they really have to step up their game if they want this to be a success. Maybe that's the reason why they're outsorcing the DP remake, to focus on Breath of the Arceus, but how effective that will be, only time will tell.

Also, they better bring all pokemon back this time.

I actually disagree with this. I'd rather they have less Pokemon in future games rather than more.

It really annoys me how many Pokemon from previous gens they put in the new ones. The different regions in Pokemon don't feel that different if they all share the same Pokemon. I really loved gen 5 and Isshu for that reason. It only had new Pokemon, none of the old ones at all, which really made it feel new, unique and interesting. Unfortunately that doesn't seem like something that'll ever happen again, especially not with the recent gen 1 nostalgia drive Gamefreak have been on. But I'd still love more Pokemon that can only be found in a specific region, nowhere else, that makes those Pokemon, the region they're in and the game more interesting IMO.

I agree with this. I don't need all Pokemon in it, I just want those who fit in the best.