By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Well, looks like next gen didn't kill Switch third party support

To be fair, the sales of the new systems have been bottlenecked so hard they might as well not be there. So it's going to take a while until they get enough users to threaten the Switch's marketshare.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Conina said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Honestly, this feels more like 3rd party support came really late on Switch. Devs were all against Ninty until sales made them change their minds lol

No, third party support was strong right from the start, reviewers neither ignored the Swtch games.

Switch had 85 games with a MetaScore of 75 or better in its first 10 months:

I don't measure support by the number of games released. Plus even though I haven't stated clearly I was excluding indies because I'm very well aware indies have a very good presence on Switch, I should have write that 

About your table

I'm sure this is counting 7th and 6th gen ports, not 8th gen titles. I don't see this as support, but the opposite of support, is releasing scraps to make some quick money. I don't bother with those ports at all, I've even bought some of them and I think they are positive for Switch ecosystem, but really getting support i.e. games developed for Switch (either exclusives or multiplat) or even porting current gen games, that's count are really supporting and the real support only becomes clear and visible for me last year 

Switch is a mobile device. The DS didn't get killed by the Xbox 360 or the Wii, why would the Switch. I still think the Switch will lose its home audience, but that takes a year. Nobody I know can buy the PS5 or Series X yet (in fact I'm the only person I know with a Series X). Nintendo should do the smart thing and release Breath of the Wild 2 with a new Switch 2, and a new console at the same time, in March 2022.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Conina said:

No, third party support was strong right from the start, reviewers neither ignored the Swtch games.

Switch had 85 games with a MetaScore of 75 or better in its first 10 months:

I don't measure support by the number of games released.

Okay....

I'm sure this is counting 7th and 6th gen ports, not 8th gen titles. I don't see this as support, but the opposite of support, is releasing scraps to make some quick money. I don't bother with those ports at all, I've even bought some of them and I think they are positive for Switch ecosystem, but really getting support i.e. games developed for Switch (either exclusives or multiplat) or even porting current gen games, that's count are really supporting and the real support only becomes clear and visible for me last year

Then I'm wondering what changed last year / was better support compared to previous years in your opinion.

If we don't count indie games (even if they are awesome like Hades) and ports of older games as support... what is still remaining as 2020 third party support on Switch?

Which 2020 AA or AAA third party games were released contemporary on Switch and other platforms, not much later than on other platforms? Which 2020 AA or AAA third party games were released exclusive on Switch?

Where are the Switch versions of 8th gen Assassin's Creeds, Call of Duties, Tomb Raiders, Hitmans, Yakuzas, GTA5/RDR2, Jedi Fallen Order...?

Last edited by Conina - on 27 February 2021

If anything, cross gen games will continue to be a thing for a while longer due to Switch.
PS4 will especially benefit from this from third party devs.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

There isn't actually much difference in the list except Capcom has decided to give the Switch 3DS-tier support now instead of just old ports. Well except of course Monster Hunter is not Nintendo exclusive anymore.

Crash Team Racing and things like Octopath Traveller were already on Switch, so that level of support (late Crash 4 port, late Tony Hawk port, new 2D sprite lower budget RPGs from Square-Enix) are kinda par for the course.

Lets see if there are more games like Witcher 3, DOOM Eternal, Mortal Kombat, or Dragon Quest XI's scale, but it would seem those games will become harder to port if the base line becomes the PS5/XBSS. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 27 February 2021

Conina said:

Then I'm wondering what changed last year / was better support compared to previous years in your opinion.

If we don't count indie games (even if they are awesome like Hades) and ports of older games as support... what is still remaining as 2020 third party support on Switch?

Just to show what I mean.

These are the 2020 Switch releases with a MetaScore of 80 or above.

Most of them are very enjoyable on Switch, it is awesome to play the old and new first party games, revisit ports of older AAA games like the BioShock/Borderlands/Metro series on a mobile device or to play new indie gems like Hades/Horace or older indie gems like To the Moon/Kentucky Route Zero:

But if we kick out first party games, all indies and ports of games older than 2015, all that's left is this:

And that is similar support to the previous Switch years: 1 - 2 "impossible ports" of 8th gen AAA games and the rest AA titles.

Nogamez said:

Come on you grasping here, Switch could draw from any console sinnce master system for 3rd party software, what impact would ps5 and XboxSx have on that? None. Swit h can still draw on any smallwr 3rd party game from this gen but it sure as hell aint gonna get the bigger ones is it. RE8? Rdr2? AC valhalla? Cyperpunk? COD? Battlefield? Switch is always gonna get shitty ports of old games with a couple of exceptions. No need to try defend this, its been happening since 2017.

Just gonna pretend Sony's big game at the State of Play wasn't just a PS4 port of an RPG remake with new DLC?

Step aside, no one needs to defend anything.  Switch's library had more than enough quality content from 1st and 3rd party devs to keep me using my PS4 Pro for only 2-3 games a year.  The majority of my time was on Switch.  Even with gamepass and my XSX, the next couple of months are stacked with games on Switch I will be pre occupied with instead.  The only difference we have seen with the new consoles is more 3rd party exclusives than before, which is far from loss of 3rd party support.

The Switch never needed those big games you listed (most of which are overrated as hell like RDR2) to be a great platform, and that has not changed.  The Switch defends itself just fine.  This entire thread is merely just a response to people who expected a "cliff" that is no where in sight, and clearly that bothers a few people.

Last edited by Shiken - on 27 February 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Nogamez said:

Come on you grasping here, Switch could draw from any console sinnce master system for 3rd party software, what impact would ps5 and XboxSx have on that? None. Swit h can still draw on any smallwr 3rd party game from this gen but it sure as hell aint gonna get the bigger ones is it. RE8? Rdr2? AC valhalla? Cyperpunk? COD? Battlefield? Switch is always gonna get shitty ports of old games with a couple of exceptions. No need to try defend this, its been happening since 2017.

Shiken was ahead of me, but yeah, it's always the same kind of titles that people list, but the truth is is that the Switch has more than enough to compensate for over-the-shoulder-grimdark cinematic games it might be missing out on.

And with Switch Pro on the horizon 3rd party support will no longer be a concern.