By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Well, looks like next gen didn't kill Switch third party support

IcaroRibeiro said:

Honestly, this feels more like 3rd party support came really late on Switch. Devs were all against Ninty until sales made them change their minds lol

Yeah I suspect they were wary early on because of Wii U, then gradually started getting in on the action as it became more and more clear there was money to be made, til we got to where we are now where even EA can't ignore the opportunity.

Pemalite said:
Jranation said:

Games like Fortnite, Overwatch and Rocket League that is playable even on low end devices will continue to exist despite the improvements in technology. Game developers know you dont need the best graphics out there to make a game that is playable by millions of people and still earn millions of $$$$.

I would imagine that Overwatch 2 will move the tech requirements forwards a few steps over Overwatch 1 which was already a 30fps title on Switch...

Diablo 4 will be interesting to see if it gets a switch port.

My guess is no for Diablo 4, but Overwatch 2 is currently slated for the Switch. It will be more technically advanced, but Doom Eternal was more advanced than Doom 2016 yet Switch managed to keep pace through devs getting better at extracting performance from the hardware.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Honestly, this feels more like 3rd party support came really late on Switch. Devs were all against Ninty until sales made them change their minds lol

Yeah I suspect they were wary early on because of Wii U, then gradually started getting in on the action as it became more and more clear there was money to be made, til we got to where we are now where even EA can't ignore the opportunity.

Pemalite said:

I would imagine that Overwatch 2 will move the tech requirements forwards a few steps over Overwatch 1 which was already a 30fps title on Switch...

My guess is no for Diablo 4, but Overwatch 2 is currently slated for the Switch. It will be more technically advanced, but Doom Eternal was more advanced than Doom 2016 yet Switch managed to keep pace through devs getting better at extracting performance from the hardware.

I mean, Blizzard have always made it's games extremely scalable, they haven't got a game out on the market which can't be played on a 14~ year old Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC and I doubt Overwatch 2 or Diablo 4 will change that... And that is a good thing for Switch owners.

It's the GPU side where things might get interesting, I would imagine some significant cutbacks to visuals for Overwatch 2 (I.E. No reflections/dynamic lighting and shadows).
Diablo 4 seems to be running more dynamic effects, how they pair that back will be interesting, but at-least Diablo 2 remake is coming to Switch anyway.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Hopefully most as physical release that isn't butchered.

Goy my eye on Tony Hawk if they do it right.

Cobretti2 said:

Hopefully most as physical release that isn't butchered.

Goy my eye on Tony Hawk if they do it right.

Activision has generally been good in this regard; Crash 4, the N.Sane Trilogy, and Crash Team Racing were all fully on the game card, so Tony Hawk most likely will be as well.

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Pemalite said:

I mean, Blizzard have always made it's games extremely scalable, they haven't got a game out on the market which can't be played on a 14~ year old Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC and I doubt Overwatch 2 or Diablo 4 will change that... And that is a good thing for Switch owners.

It's the GPU side where things might get interesting, I would imagine some significant cutbacks to visuals for Overwatch 2 (I.E. No reflections/dynamic lighting and shadows).
Diablo 4 seems to be running more dynamic effects, how they pair that back will be interesting, but at-least Diablo 2 remake is coming to Switch anyway.

Overwatch 2 has some leeway for more aggressive dynamic resolution, as Overwatch 1 never dropped as low as some other ports like Panic Button's id Tech ports, or Paladins. But yeah reflections are something I can see getting the cut or simplified to maintain performance on Switch.

But all those 3rd party games arw last gen games. Got to wait atleast another year first, when cross gen titles become a thing of the past. Nice try though.

Around the Network
Nogamez said:

But all those 3rd party games arw last gen games. Got to wait atleast another year first, when cross gen titles become a thing of the past. Nice try though.

Monster Hunter Rise, Bravely Default II, No More Heroes III, Monster Hunter Stories 2, etc are new games. And 8th gen ports are still third party software; the PS4/Xbone library isn't going anywhere and Switch can continue to draw from it, while indies and Japanese devs will continue to make new titles. Nice try though.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 February 2021

Come on you grasping here, Switch could draw from any console sinnce master system for 3rd party software, what impact would ps5 and XboxSx have on that? None. Swit h can still draw on any smallwr 3rd party game from this gen but it sure as hell aint gonna get the bigger ones is it. RE8? Rdr2? AC valhalla? Cyperpunk? COD? Battlefield? Switch is always gonna get shitty ports of old games with a couple of exceptions. No need to try defend this, its been happening since 2017.

Nogamez said:

Come on you grasping here, Switch could draw from any console sinnce master system for 3rd party software, what impact would ps5 and XboxSx have on that? None. Swit h can still draw on any smallwr 3rd party game from this gen but it sure as hell aint gonna get the bigger ones is it. RE8? Rdr2? AC valhalla? Cyperpunk? COD? Battlefield? Switch is always gonna get shitty ports of old games with a couple of exceptions. No need to try defend this, its been happening since 2017.

The games you list have never been a staple of Switch's lineup, it simply does not need them. It will continue to do just fine with exclusives, indies, Japanese titles, and ports. PS5/Xbox Series won't change that, so the notion that their arrival would make its third party support vanish was always a baseless assertion.

twintail said:
curl-6 said:

For years, it seemed a common claim that once the new consoles released, third party support for Switch would quickly vanish.

Well, PS5 and Xbox Series are out, yet the Switch is looking to have perhaps it's best year to date in terms of third party software. Here's just some of what's been confirmed so far, and it's only February:

This sounds like gaslighting to me.

The PS5/ XSX aren't even 6 months old - of course the Switch will still have 3rd party support considering how well it is selling. 

And there are many games that are still being made for last gen.

The only way Switch 3rd party support would have dried up is if it didn't really have any to begin with. 

Gaslighting is certainly one term for it yes. Another is "concern trolling", people pretending to be worried but in reality gleeful at the thought of things going badly. Thankfully you're right, it was always just bad logic and intentions behind the "third party support will fall off a cliff" posts.

IcaroRibeiro said:

No, third party support was strong right from the start, reviewers neither ignored the Swtch games.

Switch had 85 games with a MetaScore of 75 or better in its first 10 months: