By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Biggest issue with Nintendo when they are successful is that they become too greedy

It is greedy to price a 10 y/old game for 60$. But tbh I'd much rather have a quality and unique game over a game filled with microtransactions and cancerous pay to win systems, or a game that isn't very unique or creative. People calling Nintendo just like Activision, EA, Ubisoft, or Bethesda is a complete exaggeration. While I don't necessarily condone the 60$ price tag for ports, you have to realize that Nintendo games are one of a kind in quality and very unique compared to anything else in the market so people would be willing to spend that much. It is easy to find a quality shooter these days or a story based western RPG, but to find a game similar to Zelda or Mario at the same quality is very difficult to find. Nintendo offers their games at a premium price since they're considered a premium and unique experience you can't find anything else, if you don't think its worth it, don't buy it.

However, this isn't likely ever going to change until people lose interest in Nintendo games. When a bare bones and controversial game like Super Mario Party is able to sell 14M at 60$, that shows the power of Nintendo games.

Around the Network

spot-on thread title

when they fail they get super productive to save their reputation, and when they are back in the safe zone - like now - they do whatever shit will maximize their gains, regardless of whether it hurts their image or not

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Considering Hawaiian Pizza wasn't a thing until 1957, he's probably a better example of what life without pineapple pizza results in.

Defecated invented by a Greek born Canadian pizza chef that wanted to be remembered forever as the fourth most evil chef ever after Cracco, Ramsay and Bastianich, but he actually stole the recipe from Hitler's cook before strangling him to bury his dirty secret! 

@Alby_da_Wolf , I missed this otherwise I wouldn't have made a late addition about what I learned about Hitler and 1957 to my last post.

Now I have to  twist  change my historical account to contain your additional research, by making your events all about people continuing Hitler's pizza legacy after his death by pineapple asphyxiation in 1957 and by doing so stop any contamination of history that leads to plunging us into a time loop.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

spot-on thread title

when they fail they get super productive to save their reputation, and when they are back in the safe zone - like now - they do whatever shit will maximize their gains, regardless of whether it hurts their image or not

It's weird. Remember the Wii U era? Lots of samey and safey titles despite the fact the console was failing. Nintendo got cold feet and decided to throw their resources to increase the value of their games a la Breath of the Wild, and the first result of such urgency, or rather, necessity, was Splatoon. The Switch ultimately received most of that renovated flow in Nintendo's game development. We got ARMS, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, the biggest Smash, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing entries yet and a few other games. But now it seems we're in the middle of the gap before we can receive a new wave of huge games, or at least I hope so. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Metallox said:

Meat with pineapple is a reasonable culinary mix to me, I have tried it and it tastes good. But tomato sauce with pineapple? Man, that's a big no. 

Really? That's such a natural combination to me. The other day when I really wanted pineapple my first thought was to make spaghetti bolognese with pineapple. It was awesome by the way!

I never had thought of mixing spaghetti with pineapple. I might try it someday, maybe not with tomato sauce but something like clam sauce. I think that could be a nice combination. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

spot-on thread title

It's weird. Remember the Wii U era? Lots of samey and safey titles despite the fact the console was failing. Nintendo got cold feet and decided to throw their resources to increase the value of their games a la Breath of the Wild, and the first result of such urgency, or rather, necessity, was Splatoon. The Switch ultimately received most of that renovated flow in Nintendo's game development. We got ARMS, Splatoon 2, Odyssey, the biggest Smash, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing entries yet and a few other games. But now it seems we're in the middle of the gap before we can receive a new wave of huge games, or at least I hope so. 

Ka-pi96 said:

Really? That's such a natural combination to me. The other day when I really wanted pineapple my first thought was to make spaghetti bolognese with pineapple. It was awesome by the way!

I never had thought of mixing spaghetti with pineapple. I might try it someday, maybe not with tomato sauce but something like clam sauce. I think that could be a nice combination. 

Sweet And Sour pork- chicken - dumplings etc exist people

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
Metallox said:

Ka-pi96 said:

Sweet And Sour pork- chicken - dumplings etc exist people

Ah, yes! One of my uncles likes to roast chicken with beer inside the oven, or something like that, I have yet to ask him how he does it. That's honestly my favorite chicken, it tastes like your regular roasted chicken but with such an exquisite sweet flavor added. He made me one just for me in New Year, and it's still the best meal I've had in half a year, I think. So, yeah, sweet chicken rocks. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Mummelmann said:

For me, the biggest issue is pricing on software and peripherals, it's crazy to charge full price after years on the market for games. When the Wii released, the cost of a single controller was almost half that of the console itself.

shikamaru317 said:

I must say I have always hated Nintendo pricing. Pretty much every other publisher, Microsoft, Sony, and 3rd party, will eventually drop the price of their $60 games to $20, sometimes even $10 or $5 if you catch a good deal. But Nintendo games stay at full price for years, sometimes hitting $50 or $40 on a sale, or $30 permanently if Nintendo does a Selects collection (though they have yet to do one of those for Switch afaik, the last new Selects additions were in 2016 on Wii U and 3DS I think).

I hate it, as a gamer who is on a tight budget. There are several 1st/2nd party Nintendo games I would love to buy currently, but I just can’t afford them currently, even though some of them are years old now and could be grabbed for $5-20 by now if they were games released by any other publisher. Just looked up the price on all of the Switch exclusives that interest me that I haven’t bought yet, they all range between $45 and $60 even though all of them are more than a year old now.

It's the razor and blades business model, but Ninty's necromancers managed to make it even more evil than Gillette.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Jumps To The Top of Amazon Best Sellers in the US, Goes Out of Stock
Looks like Nintendo priced it reasonably, after all. 

Nintendo probably fixes their mistake (Super Mario 3D All-Stars for $50) in April and will offer the three games separately for $50 - $60 each.

I am fully on board on that Nintendo is maximizing profit like your average capitalist mega corp. I wouldnt really bother if they decided to actually release new content in between...

brute said:

It'll just make Nintendo feel they made the right business decision to price at $60 without any real effort.

Lastly, maybe Nintendo will prove me wrong and announce extra content for the game before release.

This I cant get behind though, There's probably more effort in this port than the other Wii U ports you mentioned outside of the Bowsers Fury addition.

It seems to not only be a transition to full hd from sd but also making it run in higher framerate, new control schemes as well.

But we'll probably get the full picture in the coming months before I fully judge here.