By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Biggest issue with Nintendo when they are successful is that they become too greedy

Ka-pi96 said:
Vodacixi said:

Don't worry, I'm good. I'm more of a burger kind of guy ^^

Burgers are better with pineapple

You scare me

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 20 February 2021

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

FFX HD and FFXII are pretty much straight ports (played and beat the originals and ports), with a few minor additions.  Skyward Sword has an all new control scheme, I have also heard rumors it will be 60 fps, but far too early to consider that true.  

But more importantly is your sugar coating of Square's greed.  FFX HD was ported to the ps3....  re-ported to the ps4....  re-re-ported to Switch (and yes, for $50).  

FFXII was ported to the ps4, re-ported to the Switch (and yes, for $50).

I just don't understand how Nintendo gets bashed for a HD port, but Square is praised for a HD port of a port of a port.  Speaking of which, I'm going to laugh when FFX 4k ps5 version is ported.  

As for Nintendo games holding value, they do.  Which is why I day 1 purchase Switch games, but wait 6 months on Sony games.  I can get Sony games for $20 6 months later.  Nintendo games stay full price for a long time. 

Nintendo games hold value, Sony games drop like a rock.  This point, we agree.

Your bias towards Nintendo is strong 

With Ff X Square was selling two games for 50 USD, Nintendo is selling only one for 60 USD. The proposed value Square offered is way higher than Nintendo's 

Nobody cares for how many times Square is reselling FF X, this is not the point of the criticism

In reality, I'm sure nobody would complain if Nintendo come back with virtual console and start selling 90's Zelda again for the seventh time. The problem is the price, 60 USD for a single Wii game with nothing but new controls schemes (something they are obligated to do if they want to release for a new console that doesn't have the same controls schemes) is not reasonable imo neither in the opinion of many people. You are treating the new controls as an update to increase Skyward Sword value when is absolutely nothing but a requirement for this game to run on a Switch

As for XII, it was the zodiac age version, it was not the same version released in west, it has some improvements on gameplay system, including the zodiac system. I've played only the original and zodiac age was a new experience for me. I agree charging 50 USD is still high, but I've bought it for 30 anyways which I think it's a good value. It has better assets, new music, new game modes, new quests, new gameplay features, maps changes, changing in the existing quests, new quests. It wasn't just a port, but really a remaster

We don't know yet what SS is bringing different, but the trailer screams PORT for me. Nothing will change besides maybe skipping cutscenes...

IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

FFX HD and FFXII are pretty much straight ports (played and beat the originals and ports), with a few minor additions.  Skyward Sword has an all new control scheme, I have also heard rumors it will be 60 fps, but far too early to consider that true.  

But more importantly is your sugar coating of Square's greed.  FFX HD was ported to the ps3....  re-ported to the ps4....  re-re-ported to Switch (and yes, for $50).  

FFXII was ported to the ps4, re-ported to the Switch (and yes, for $50).

I just don't understand how Nintendo gets bashed for a HD port, but Square is praised for a HD port of a port of a port.  Speaking of which, I'm going to laugh when FFX 4k ps5 version is ported.  

As for Nintendo games holding value, they do.  Which is why I day 1 purchase Switch games, but wait 6 months on Sony games.  I can get Sony games for $20 6 months later.  Nintendo games stay full price for a long time. 

Nintendo games hold value, Sony games drop like a rock.  This point, we agree.

With Ff X Square was selling two games for 50 USD, Nintendo is selling only one for 60 USD. The proposed value Square offered is way higher than Nintendo's 

Nobody cares for how many times Square is reselling FF X, this is not the point of the criticism

In reality, I'm sure nobody would complain if Nintendo come back with virtual console and start selling 90's Zelda again for the seventh time. The problem is the price, 60 USD for a single Wii game with nothing but new controls schemes (something they are obligated to do if they want to release for a new console that doesn't have the same controls schemes) is not reasonable imo neither in the opinion of many people. You are treating the new controls as an update to increase Skyward Sword value when is absolutely nothing but a requirement for this game to run on a Switch

As for XII, it was the zodiac age version, it was not the same version released in west, it has some improvements on gameplay system, including the zodiac system. I've played only the original and zodiac age was a new experience for me. I agree charging 50 USD is still high, but I've bought it for 30 anyways which I think it's a good value. It has better assets, new music, new game modes, new quests, new gameplay features, maps changes, changing in the existing quests, new quests. It wasn't just a port, but really a remaster

We don't know yet what SS is bringing different, but the trailer screams PORT for me. Nothing will change besides maybe skipping cutscenes...

I have no bias, I play everything.  Personally I think SS HD should be $40, but I don't agree with people who are it making appear only Nintendo does this.  That just isn't the case.  

As for nobody caring how many times FFX was ported, of course they don't.  That wouldn't support their argument so it is ignored because reasons.  Square literally ports a game for a 3rd time at $50.....  value.  Nintendo ports a game once, greed...  because reasons.

FFXII, calling the port a 'new experience' is some crazy bias.  It had minor tweaks at most.  

As for SS HD improvements, we already know it has a new control scheme.  I expect more accurate motion controls.  And many are reporting 60 fps.  Hopefully some QoL improvements as well.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 20 February 2021

Chrkeller said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I have no bias, I plan everything.  Personally I think SS HD should be $40, but I don't agree that people are making appear only Nintendo does this.  That just isn't the case.

As for nobody caring how many times FFX was ported, of course they don't.  That wouldn't support their argument so it is ignored because reasons.

But I don't see any problem selling old games forever. In reality I think it's a good practice having old games largely available and it's a shame the virtual console was ended because Nintendo realize they can resell their games at full price in some dumb Mario All Stars Collections that will vanish by March. Look them to do it again with Switch 2... 

The problem as I said is the price. If Nintendo wants to sell it for 60 that's their right, I'm not getting it because I don't see the point of getting a port of Wii game for that much

But what you stated about how Square was selling FF is wrong. They added more value, they sold 2 games for the price of one, it's a better deal from a consumer viewpoint. Plus the Zodiac Age was an entire new experience and it comes with multiple new features, in Japan the original Zodiac Age was already releases so maybe in the context of JP market I agree the game is overpriced, but in the context of western markets it's not that much overpriced. 

Nintendo isn't adding any value for Skyward Sword, they are taking their brand power for granted and selling it with minimum cost even for a game that wasn't even well received. Even if the word of mouth for SS HD sucks and the port struggles to sell... let's say 2 million copies it will still be a great deal for Nintendo as 2 million copies for 60 USD surpass by a very huge margin their costs to port this game

I see why they do it and I don't like it, other companies might be greedy, but their pricing policies makes their games more affordable, that's why as I consumer I'm more inclined to support Sony's pricing practices than Nintendo's 

Dude just stop with the XII being a new experience. I own both versions, mild tweaks is not a new experience. WWHD had changes it is still the same game. Pikmin 3 added story coop, still the same game.  FFXII HD was not a new experience.  That is beyond a gross exaggeration.

Edit

I would also add people are not factoring in Nintendo games holding value within this cost equation.  BotW (old game) has a resell value of $30.  TLoU 2 (new game) has a resell value of $17....  so cheap Sony games upfront is nice, but bites on the back end.  It is a double edged sword.  I made money on many of my Wii U titles, despite paying $60.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 20 February 2021

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Dude just stop with the XII being a new experience. I own both versions, mild tweaks is not a new experience. WWHD had chzmfdz it is still the same game. Pikmin 3 added story coop, still the same game.

I also had both versions 

Never said this make Zodiac Age is a totally different game compared to base FF XII, it still have the same story, characters and maps. But the gameplay changed not only in mechanics, but in the way I play the game. For instance, magic in the original release was trash because of the queue system, now its fairly useful (specially when we add ranged AoE magic)

It kinds reminds me what people says about Persona and Persona 5 Royal (even though I never played royal)

IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

Dude just stop with the XII being a new experience. I own both versions, mild tweaks is not a new experience. WWHD had chzmfdz it is still the same game. Pikmin 3 added story coop, still the same game.

I also had both versions 

Never said this make Zodiac Age is a totally different game compared to base FF XII, it still have the same story, characters and maps. But the gameplay changed not only in mechanics, but in the way I play the game. For instance, magic in the original release was trash because of the queue system, now its fairly useful (specially when we add ranged AoE magic)

It kinds reminds me what people says about Persona and Persona 5 Royal (even though I never played royal)

No, you said it was "an entire new experience."  That is a gross exaggeration.  

Chrkeller said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I also had both versions 

Ok you are right. But the game is now more balanced and the new job system make it more enjoyable and changes the way I control my party and create strategies. That's the main point of an RPG imo

Chrkeller said:

Edit

I would also add people are not factoring in Nintendo games holding value within this cost equation.  BotW (old game) has a resell value of $30.  TLoU 2 (new game) has a resell value of $17....  so cheap Sony games upfront is nice, but bites on the back end.  It is a double edged sword.  I made money on many of my Wii U titles, despite paying $60.  

About this, I think not exactly everyone buy games thinking or selling them. Digital versions for instance can't be resell

I prefer getting physicals so I can resell it, but so far the only Switch game I resold was New Super Mario Bros U because this game is boring af. If your game is good I guess you are more likely to keep it, whether to play it again in the future or just for emotional purposes of holding a collection  

IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

Ok you are right. But the game is now more balanced and the new job system make it more enjoyable and changes the way I control my party and create strategies. That's the main point of an RPG imo

None of that was new. All remastered from a 10yr old game with a remixed soundtrack.