By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey cast as Joel and Ellie for TLOU HBO series

Dye her hair brunette or moderately light brown and tie it in a ponytail... And yeah, I can kinda see it.

Around the Network

Mahershala Ali as Joel?... Wat?

It's been confirmed Pedro pascal will be joel

Her roll on Game of thrones was small but she nailed it. I think she will do well.

My top choice for Joel was always Joel Edgerton and still is really. But this is a hbo show, so it makes sense they go for ''TV'' actors. Pedro is solid, but I don't buy him as Joel. I don't remember the other girl at all from GOT.

Around the Network

I can see her, but him? I'm not sure. Pedro gives me just a tad too much of sensitive guy vibes, whereas Joel needs to have an undertone of danger, a man that can be absolutely ruthless if need be. Well, maybe Pedro has done something to that effect that I haven't seen. I'm willing to be positively surprised.
And Mahershala Ali, what the hell? I think he could actually pull off Joel's character, but Joel was created as a white guy, so he simply should be white. I guess the Neil Druckmann of the 2010's didn't have the foresight that in the 2020's it would be hip for characters to be anything other than white. I'm sick of everybody playing fast and loose with races and genders of original characters. Although I guess Pedro is technically latino, but he passes as caucasian.

Dante9 said:

I can see her, but him? I'm not sure. Pedro gives me just a tad too much of sensitive guy vibes, whereas Joel needs to have an undertone of danger, a man that can be absolutely ruthless if need be. Well, maybe Pedro has done something to that effect that I haven't seen. I'm willing to be positively surprised.
And Mahershala Ali, what the hell? I think he could actually pull off Joel's character, but Joel was created as a white guy, so he simply should be white. I guess the Neil Druckmann of the 2010's didn't have the foresight that in the 2020's it would be hip for characters to be anything other than white. I'm sick of everybody playing fast and loose with races and genders of original characters. Although I guess Pedro is technically latino, but he passes as caucasian.

Joel's race in The Last of Us doesn't impact anything so I wouldn't have had a problem with Mahershala Ali being cast as Joel. The way I see it, if the casting call was specifically for a black Joel then I would have had reservations because that frames it as a deliberate move to add diversity for diversity's sake but seeing as they ended up casting Pedro Pascal my guess is all they wanted was a talented actor that could play Joel on screen no matter the race of the actor.

Signature goes here!

My only issue is that Pascal is a bit on the small side to play Joel, it's a fairly big man in the games and that comes into play in the melee components and his overall personality (his burly exterior contrasting with a kind heart). The brutality that Joel is capable of might be harder for Pascal to channel, but he might be able, he's a really good actor.

shikamaru317 said:

Wait, Bella is almost 17 and a half already? Crazy, she looked like she was maybe 12 or 13 on the final season of Game of Thrones, and that only filmed 2 and a half years ago.

Professional hair and makeup can do a whole lot. 

I dated a girl while she was attending a prestigious cosmetology school.  I saw some truly amazing work done.  And, it stands to reason that just like professionals in any other artistic field, they can do amazing shit.  

Seems like Pedro Pascal is in everything right now.