By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey cast as Joel and Ellie for TLOU HBO series

shikamaru317 said:

Wait, Bella is almost 17 and a half already? Crazy, she looked like she was maybe 12 or 13 on the final season of Game of Thrones, and that only filmed 2 and a half years ago.

Yeah... either there are no recent pictures of her or she still looks like 14/15. One of those people that just look way younger than they actually are I guess.



Around the Network

I can see her, but him? I'm not sure. Pedro gives me just a tad too much of sensitive guy vibes, whereas Joel needs to have an undertone of danger, a man that can be absolutely ruthless if need be. Well, maybe Pedro has done something to that effect that I haven't seen. I'm willing to be positively surprised.
And Mahershala Ali, what the hell? I think he could actually pull off Joel's character, but Joel was created as a white guy, so he simply should be white. I guess the Neil Druckmann of the 2010's didn't have the foresight that in the 2020's it would be hip for characters to be anything other than white. I'm sick of everybody playing fast and loose with races and genders of original characters. Although I guess Pedro is technically latino, but he passes as caucasian.



Dante9 said:

I can see her, but him? I'm not sure. Pedro gives me just a tad too much of sensitive guy vibes, whereas Joel needs to have an undertone of danger, a man that can be absolutely ruthless if need be. Well, maybe Pedro has done something to that effect that I haven't seen. I'm willing to be positively surprised.
And Mahershala Ali, what the hell? I think he could actually pull off Joel's character, but Joel was created as a white guy, so he simply should be white. I guess the Neil Druckmann of the 2010's didn't have the foresight that in the 2020's it would be hip for characters to be anything other than white. I'm sick of everybody playing fast and loose with races and genders of original characters. Although I guess Pedro is technically latino, but he passes as caucasian.

Joel's race in The Last of Us doesn't impact anything so I wouldn't have had a problem with Mahershala Ali being cast as Joel. The way I see it, if the casting call was specifically for a black Joel then I would have had reservations because that frames it as a deliberate move to add diversity for diversity's sake but seeing as they ended up casting Pedro Pascal my guess is all they wanted was a talented actor that could play Joel on screen no matter the race of the actor.



Signature goes here!

My only issue is that Pascal is a bit on the small side to play Joel, it's a fairly big man in the games and that comes into play in the melee components and his overall personality (his burly exterior contrasting with a kind heart). The brutality that Joel is capable of might be harder for Pascal to channel, but he might be able, he's a really good actor.



foodfather said:

My top choice for Joel was always Joel Edgerton and still is really. But this is a hbo show, so it makes sense they go for ''TV'' actors. Pedro is solid, but I don't buy him as Joel. I don't remember the other girl at all from GOT.

She played the like 12-13 year old lady of Bear Island in seasons 6-8, who lead the whole island from a young age after her mother died. She was loyal to the Starks, and fought at the Battle of Winterfell, where she died killing a Giant by herself at only 13 years old. Niece of Jeor Mormont (John Snow's Commander in the Night Watch) and first cousin of Jorah Mormont. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 11 February 2021

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Wait, Bella is almost 17 and a half already? Crazy, she looked like she was maybe 12 or 13 on the final season of Game of Thrones, and that only filmed 2 and a half years ago.

Professional hair and makeup can do a whole lot. 

I dated a girl while she was attending a prestigious cosmetology school.  I saw some truly amazing work done.  And, it stands to reason that just like professionals in any other artistic field, they can do amazing shit.  



Seems like Pedro Pascal is in everything right now.



sounds like another amazing HBO production is in the making, both stunning actors

apart from GoT I also watched Deadwood and Chernobyl, and seriously they know how to make TV shows



don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Pedro Pascal can do no wrong. Great casting for Joel, the man can act.



                            

TruckOSaurus said:
Dante9 said:

I can see her, but him? I'm not sure. Pedro gives me just a tad too much of sensitive guy vibes, whereas Joel needs to have an undertone of danger, a man that can be absolutely ruthless if need be. Well, maybe Pedro has done something to that effect that I haven't seen. I'm willing to be positively surprised.
And Mahershala Ali, what the hell? I think he could actually pull off Joel's character, but Joel was created as a white guy, so he simply should be white. I guess the Neil Druckmann of the 2010's didn't have the foresight that in the 2020's it would be hip for characters to be anything other than white. I'm sick of everybody playing fast and loose with races and genders of original characters. Although I guess Pedro is technically latino, but he passes as caucasian.

Joel's race in The Last of Us doesn't impact anything so I wouldn't have had a problem with Mahershala Ali being cast as Joel. The way I see it, if the casting call was specifically for a black Joel then I would have had reservations because that frames it as a deliberate move to add diversity for diversity's sake but seeing as they ended up casting Pedro Pascal my guess is all they wanted was a talented actor that could play Joel on screen no matter the race of the actor.

But race does impact things. The character doesn't look like what he was created to be originally, there could even be cultural differences and whatnot. Also, they'd then have to change the race of that character's relatives as well for it to make sense. Should they then have to switch some black characters to white in order to balance things out? At what point does all this just become too convoluted, when the alternative is simply to just stay faithful to the source material?

By the way, I hope Pedro can pull off a nice Texan accent.