By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 10-16 - PS5 Sales Near 5M, Switch Remains Best-Seller

Switch is doing very well the middle of January, maybe even crazy well. I'm surprised the 3DS is still managing to sell 1,000 or more units a week on a global scale. That time should be over soon, and it will creep into the hundreds until the stock and tracking end. The hardware globally seems pretty similar to the previous week.
Switch and PS5 will dominate 2021, and it will be interesting to see if supply can meet demand. With Switch, maybe. With PS5, doubtful. Demand is still very high, and there will be shortages for almost all this year it seems.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
yo33331 said:

will the PS4 beat gameboy, what do you think ? and if yes, when ?

Yes

Probably Nov/Dec this year

I'm still skeptical Xbox Series will outsell Xbox One to be honest, but we'll see.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 January 2021

yo33331 said:

will the PS4 beat gameboy, what do you think ? and if yes, when ?

I think it probably will. I don't know if it will do it this year, but definitely early 2022 if it doesn't this year.

curl-6 said:

I'm still skeptical Xbox Series will outsell Xbox One to be honest, but we'll see.

Sure, and I'm confident that the money generated from an increased PC userbase via Gamepass will more than makeup for less console sales, financially.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Dulfite said:

Sure, and I'm confident that the money generated from an increased PC userbase via Gamepass will more than makeup for less console sales, financially.

Lots of revenue generated when you sell the Gamepass for 1$/month indeed.

While paying millions to third  party's as well.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Mar1217 said:

Lots of revenue generated when you sell the Gamepass for 1$/month indeed.

When was the last time it was for that cheap? I haven't seen it in a while. I doubt many of us are using the cheaper entry fee. They are making TONS of money off it per their newest financial report. There are also now 18 million subscribers as of the last call. Even if literally everyone was paying 1 dollar, that's $18 million a month or $216 million a year. But we know a lot of people are paying the full $10 for regular or $15 for Ultimate, so let's just go with conservative numbers. Let's say only 8 or the 19 million are paying $10-15 (let's average it to $12.50) and the other 11 million are only paying $1 (which I highly doubt btw). That's $132 million a year from the $1 group and $1.2 billion from the full paying group for a total of a little over $1.2 billion a year. Again, I think that is a very conservative number. And yes, I'm aware they have to offset cost of purchasing expensive studios, securing third party games on Gamepass, etc. But there are other areas they are generating money from having Gamepass. They make a LOT more money off selling PC's with windows/office 365. Historically, Sony and Microsoft haven't made much and have usually lost money for each console sold. So every console that ISN'T sold because someone bought a PC (such as myself, when I was about to buy a Series X but then decided to buy a more expensive gaming laptop), creates a lot more money for them because of all the other, non gaming software that they make money off of.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 01 February 2021

Mar1217 said:
Dulfite said:

When was the last time it was for that cheap? I haven't seen it in a while. I doubt many of us are using the cheaper entry fee. They are making TONS of money off it per their newest financial report. There are also now 18 million subscribers as of the last call. Even if literally everyone was paying 1 dollar, that's $18 million a month or $216 million a year. But we know a lot of people are paying the full $10 for regular or $15 for Ultimate, so let's just go with conservative numbers. Let's say only 8 or the 19 million are paying $10-15 (let's average it to $12.50) and the other 11 million are only paying $1 (which I highly doubt btw). That's $132 million a year from the $1 group and $1.2 billion from the full paying group for a total of a little over $1.2 billion a year. Again, I think that is a very conservative number. And yes, I'm aware they have to offset cost of purchasing expensive studios, securing third party games on Gamepass, etc. But there are other areas they are generating money from having Gamepass. They make a LOT more money off selling PC's with windows/office 365. Historically, Sony and Microsoft haven't made much and have usually lost money for each console sold. So every console that ISN'T sold because someone bought a PC (such as myself, when I was about to buy a Series X but then decided to buy a more expensive gaming laptop), creates a lot more money for them because of all the other, non gaming software that they make money off of.

Last Holiday and it's honestly hard to miss since they advertised it heavily during that period. Not only, at times you could also see offers for 3$/month for a 12 month subscription to Gamepass which was common when they launched the programm. 

Still, I also think it'd be absurd that most people have bought it when it was on sales so yeah, it must be doing them a fair share of revenue, yet one thing they never disclose was the operational cost. Since the catalog gets bigger, it is bound to also inflate the operational cost just as much.

Also we have to take into effect, the impact the program has on regular digital/physical sales for these games which lowers their potential of revenue in the traditonal sphere, simply redirecting this lost revenue  into another stream. Technically, Gamepass has to make up for a lot to even be much profitable imo.

I believe I read that Gamepass has actually lead to more people buying the games outright because there is more awareness in the market in general of said game. Also, because people are getting it for "free," they are more likely to spend money on the stuff that isn't free (cosmetics, dlc), further increasing the profits of the developers and perhaps Microsoft.

But again, that isn't even the main benefit of Gamepass to MS. I personally believe the main reason Microsoft has Gamepass is to increase the awareness and buy-in of their other products and software. Office 365 costs a LOT on an annual basis. In 2014 they only had 4.4 million 365 subscribers. In 2018 they had 155 million 365 subscribers. If Gamepass can lead to more people purchasing PCs (where MS makes profit from Windows licenses), more people getting 365 subs (MS making more profit), using Skype, etc. that will be the real value of Gamepass to MS.

Dulfite said:
eva01beserk said:

Could be. But lets not forget the main issue with these subscription services is that they lack content that pulls and keeps people subbed. You see it like the reports of Disney plus and Netflix and others that people sub for a month to play or watch the one thing they like then cancel and repeat. For you to assume that these people stay sub indefinitely is just absurd. Now im looking into this as if you are offering a service meant fo the more value oriented consumer then it seems obvious to me that thuse looking value will see the benefits of only subbing for a month at a time and playing the titles they want. Because if you notice that they dnt mention if those subs are concurrent, and on the last report they said individual subs. People are not fooled anymore by PR speak. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Dulfite said:

Could be. But lets not forget the main issue with these subscription services is that they lack content that pulls and keeps people subbed. You see it like the reports of Disney plus and Netflix and others that people sub for a month to play or watch the one thing they like then cancel and repeat. For you to assume that these people stay sub indefinitely is just absurd. Now im looking into this as if you are offering a service meant fo the more value oriented consumer then it seems obvious to me that thuse looking value will see the benefits of only subbing for a month at a time and playing the titles they want. Because if you notice that they dnt mention if those subs are concurrent, and on the last report they said individual subs. People are not fooled anymore by PR speak. 

Who cares if they are concurrent? They are gaining more month over month and year over year than they are losing on "one month/one year and done" kind of people. They can deal with the concurrent problem down the road with more added features that entice people to stick around. All they care about is the money coming in. And by the way, just because they aren't talking about concurrent numbers isn't an indication of how many aren't re-subbing. The rate could be much better than you think, we can't assume it's bad. The fact that Disney+ has had such tremendous growth over such a short time span, as well as HBO Max, and Gamepass, and Office 365, and the fact that these companies are posting major profits during financial reports shows this method works.