By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 10-16 - PS5 Sales Near 5M, Switch Remains Best-Seller

dharh said:
Shiken said:

The problem is that the graph is designed to show marketshare in the current generation.  Right now PS5, XSX/S, and Switch are the current generation between the big three.  3DS and Vita had their own market share comparison while PS4, X1, and WiiU were counted seperate.  You cannot just add PS4 and X1 where 3DS and Vita used to be, because it would create a problem when you tried to illustrate the percentage of the current market in the graph.  PS4 and PS5 would conflict with one another, and to a lesser degree, the XBox consoles would as well.

I feel it should focus on the main three devices on the market, so we can see a more accurate picture of overall marketshare in the current generation.

I don't think there is a problem illustrating the progress of the big three if you show the prev gen on the same graph. Especially if you keep the spacing.

The Playstations and the XBOXes _are_ conflicting right now.  The mains are in limited stock and there are a number of people who are not waiting and are going out to buy the previous.  The previous flagships are still selling significant numbers and it is good to show what there current lifetime sales are, not hidden behind a dropdown most people probably don't even notice or use.

Did PS3 and XBox 360 stay on the graph alongside PS4 and XBox One?  If not, then I don't see a problem here.  The only people who care to see last gen sales are perfectly capable of clicking the dropdown bar where last gen sales have always been located.

Around the Network
HigHurtenflurst said:

At this rate Switch in Japan is going to catch up to Switch in Europe.

I have a strong feeling that the Switch is undertracked right now both in North America and in Europe.

How does the Asia bucket algo account for China? Since NSW now has a material share of sales coming from there, won't the CNY week possibly be a sales booster? Or does retail activity shut down for that week (Feb 1 1- 17, 2021)?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

At this rate Switch in Japan is going to catch up to Switch in Europe.

I have a strong feeling that the Switch is undertracked right now both in North America and in Europe.

Going by the latest sales figures posted here for Spain, if the Europe numbers are correct, then it would mean that the Spanish numbers would represent nearly 20% of the entire European market. I'm pretty sure the ratio isn't that high, therefore the European sales as a whole would be higher, for that week at least.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Going by the latest sales figures posted here for Spain, if the Europe numbers are correct, then it would mean that the Spanish numbers would represent nearly 20% of the entire European market. I'm pretty sure the ratio isn't that high, therefore the European sales as a whole would be higher, for that week at least.

IIRC there is a big sales week in Spain either 1st or 2nd week of Jan, can't recall what it's for but Spain would be a bigger proportion of the market that week (whether 20% is typical I don't know)

polofresco also posted the 2020 totals for Spain, which when compared to VGC Europe puts Spain at 7% of European market for Switch, & 5.6% for PS4
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/244227/2020-spanish-total-hw-amp-sw-sales/

Around the Network
HigHurtenflurst said:
peachbuggy said:

IIRC there is a big sales week in Spain either 1st or 2nd week of Jan, can't recall what it's for but Spain would be a bigger proportion of the market that week (whether 20% is typical I don't know)

polofresco also posted the 2020 totals for Spain, which when compared to VGC Europe puts Spain at 7% of European market for Switch, & 5.6% for PS4
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/244227/2020-spanish-total-hw-amp-sw-sales/

Hmmm you could be right but it would also raise 2 questions. Firstly, (thanks, your figures helped,) would the big sales week be enough to propel Spain from 7% to roughly 20%?

Secondly, given that some areas of Europe have cultural similarities, wouldn't there similarly be a big sales week elsewhere in Europe too, giving a boost a little bigger for Europe as a whole but also at the same time lessening the % increase Spain would have to calculate for if those figures (Europe total) are correct? 

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Hmmm you could be right but it would also raise 2 questions. Firstly, (thanks, your figures helped,) would the big sales week be enough to propel Spain from 7% to roughly 20%?

Secondly, given that some areas of Europe have cultural similarities, wouldn't there similarly be a big sales week elsewhere in Europe too, giving a boost a little bigger for Europe as a whole but also at the same time lessening the % increase Spain would have to calculate for if those figures (Europe total) are correct? 

Not sure on the 20%, it is higher than I would have expected, but if all the other countries sales are dropping post-Christmas & Spain has a rise it's not unfeasable.

I looked it up, it's a Christian religious day "Epiphany" aka "Three Kings' Day" It is a national holiday in some countries (Spain & Italy being major two) but traditions do vary across countries. I think Spain goes all in on the gift giving tradition, whereas in other countries it's more about a feast.

HigHurtenflurst said:
peachbuggy said:

Not sure on the 20%, it is higher than I would have expected, but if all the other countries sales are dropping post-Christmas & Spain has a rise it's not unfeasable.

I looked it up, it's a Christian religious day "Epiphany" aka "Three Kings' Day" It is a national holiday in some countries (Spain & Italy being major two) but traditions do vary across countries. I think Spain goes all in on the gift giving tradition, whereas in other countries it's more about a feast.

Its a catholic thing. Christmas gifts are traditionally given to kids on jan 6 . It is supposed to be when the three wise men brought jesus the gifts, Gold Frankincense and myrrh. Is the same in Latin America. 

PS4 is so close to beating Xbox One. It just needs to happen once. Come on Europe. You should be higher than that.

Last edited by Rob5VGC - on 29 January 2021

Rob5VGC said:

PS4 is so close to beating Xbox One. It just needs to happen once. Come on Europe. You should be higher than that.

??? 
Don’t you mean beating the Xbox Series?