By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 10-16 - PS5 Sales Near 5M, Switch Remains Best-Seller

Signalstar said:
Amnesia said:

I disagree, Nintendo has not yet announced any 9th gen machine.

Neither my post nor the graph on the main page make any mention of numbered generations. So I have no idea why you brought it up or what problem you are trying to point out.

Regardless the graph needs to be updated.

The graph talks about this gen, last gen, etc.  It should be rethought.  Right now there should not be a main graph that only has Switch, PS5, XBOX S S/X.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
dharh said:

The graph talks about this gen, last gen, etc.  It should be rethought.  Right now there should not be a main graph that only has Switch, PS5, XBOX S S/X.

There absolutely should be a graph that shows only the three current gen consoles.

The only last gen console that will still sell a noteworthy amount in 2021 is the PS4, but that doesn't mean it needs to be shown alongside current gen. It shows up in the list of consoles below the graph and that's good enough. The graph should be focused on the here and now, not legacy consoles.

I disagree.  PS4 and XBOX One shouldn't be buried behind the main graph.  PSVita and 3DS have been dead for a long time but have remained because of old thinking that gens still matter.

Replace PSVita and 3DS with PS4 and XBOX One, keep the separating space.  I really don't think we need access to wii, ps3, x360 anymore.  Just keep it to current/prev flagship and year to date.

I mean hell.  I would put it in this order with this spacing: PS5 - XBOX S S/X -- Switch -- PS4 - XBOX One or XBS - PS5 -- Switch -- PS4 - XBO

Last edited by dharh - on 28 January 2021

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:

So this is basically Switch’s new baseline is it?

No. This week includes the final days of Japan's holiday season, so the actual baseline will be lower. The latest Famitsu numbers are already available and show a week over week decrease of ~60k in Japan, so Switch's weekly global baseline should be expected to be more in the area of ~350k rather than above 400k.

Ah yes. Well, I guess I can live with 350k.

dharh said:
RolStoppable said:

There absolutely should be a graph that shows only the three current gen consoles.

The only last gen console that will still sell a noteworthy amount in 2021 is the PS4, but that doesn't mean it needs to be shown alongside current gen. It shows up in the list of consoles below the graph and that's good enough. The graph should be focused on the here and now, not legacy consoles.

I disagree.  PS4 and XBOX One shouldn't be buried behind the main graph.  PSVita and 3DS have been dead for a long time but have remained because of old thinking that gens still matter.

Replace PSVita and 3DS with PS4 and XBOX One, keep the separating space.  I really don't think we need access to wii, ps3, x360 anymore.  Just keep it to current/prev flagship and year to date.

I mean hell.  I would put it in this order with this spacing: PS5 - XBOX S S/X -- Switch -- PS4 - XBOX One or XBS - PS5 -- Switch -- PS4 - XBO

The problem is that the graph is designed to show marketshare in the current generation.  Right now PS5, XSX/S, and Switch are the current generation between the big three.  3DS and Vita had their own market share comparison while PS4, X1, and WiiU were counted seperate.  You cannot just add PS4 and X1 where 3DS and Vita used to be, because it would create a problem when you tried to illustrate the percentage of the current market in the graph.  PS4 and PS5 would conflict with one another, and to a lesser degree, the XBox consoles would as well.

I feel it should focus on the main three devices on the market, so we can see a more accurate picture of overall marketshare in the current generation.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
dharh said:

The problem is that the graph is designed to show marketshare in the current generation.  Right now PS5, XSX/S, and Switch are the current generation between the big three.  3DS and Vita had their own market share comparison while PS4, X1, and WiiU were counted seperate.  You cannot just add PS4 and X1 where 3DS and Vita used to be, because it would create a problem when you tried to illustrate the percentage of the current market in the graph.  PS4 and PS5 would conflict with one another, and to a lesser degree, the XBox consoles would as well.

I feel it should focus on the main three devices on the market, so we can see a more accurate picture of overall marketshare in the current generation.

I don't think there is a problem illustrating the progress of the big three if you show the prev gen on the same graph. Especially if you keep the spacing.

The Playstations and the XBOXes _are_ conflicting right now.  The mains are in limited stock and there are a number of people who are not waiting and are going out to buy the previous.  The previous flagships are still selling significant numbers and it is good to show what there current lifetime sales are, not hidden behind a dropdown most people probably don't even notice or use.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Just replace 3ds and Vita with PS5 and Xbox Series in the graph.

100% this

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Once again, in terms of sales, the Switch is an oasis in a desert, and it looks like it'll be staying that way for quite some time.

Over 400k outside of the holidays with no major release is bananas.

It's looking like Switch's 2021 will be very impressive as well and that the PS5 is gonna fall behind the PS4 launch aligned soon and with the stock situation could stay behind for a while and potentially even forever depending on how long term sales things go. The Series X/S is a bit lower than the Xbox One was the same week in 2014 but more time is needed to start to get a picture for that and the now last gen systems are continuing their rapid decline, both should sell only 4-5 million combined this year. Also the 3DS is in the ground but some of the soil still needs to shoveled over the coffin which will happen after the last shipment of units is fully sold.

Last edited by Norion - on 29 January 2021

Never thought I'd see the day where a Nintendo system outsells two PlayStation consoles in Europe combined!

kirby007 said:
Shiken said:

They cannot announce something that is already released, and set to easily pass 100 mil.

switch is gen 8.5

Switch: 1st gen of hybrid systems. Or just drop gens altogether. Relevant systems only from latest to oldest home consoles (left) to handhelds (right) Switch in between OR simply sort them in descending order (by sales units).