By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry- Hitman 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series

PotentHerbs said:
SvennoJ said:

Thanks for the chuckle, that last sentence, not a chance. It's just the benefit of cross generation games. Dial up the settings a bit and provide a higher frame rate, good enough for early in the gen. Next comes the actual next gen eye candy which will struggle to maintain 30 fps again, especially with ray tracing.

Btw PSVR provided game play not possible before, however the majority just wants more of the same.

I mean, if early trends are anything to go by, developers will give us a choice between fidelity and performance.

They only give us a choice because they have the overhead currently to go for 60fps or native 4K. It will be some form of TAA/DLSS/Checkerboard upscaling to 4K at 30 fps once the gen gets going, possibly going as low as 1440p30, which that Unreal tech demo ran at.

Don't get used to it, it was the same story at the start of this gen. More focus on VR will help, but doesn't seem to be in the cards atm.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
Azzanation said:

And the over-hyped and over promised marketing of the new SSDs still give us load times.

Demon's Souls & Miles Morales say otherwise.

Sure, meanwhile MS Flight Simulator renders the entire world on a HDD.

Also what does Demon Souls do with the SSD that no other game does?

This is a case of using raw power from next gen consoles without proper utilisation of hardware. It's a last gen game slightly enhanced

KratosLives said:

This is a case of using raw power from next gen consoles without proper utilisation of hardware. It's a last gen game slightly enhanced

You mean just like the games where the PS5 had a narrow advantage?

Shocking...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
KratosLives said:

You mean just like the games where the PS5 had a narrow advantage?

Shocking...

shocking indeed.. crazy how people are making an issue for games made for last gen, running on fresh next gen hardware, that barely taps into the potential.

Around the Network

As far as comparisons go, Series X has the edge, although I also wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 version reaches parity with later patches. The field level stress test shows that the PS5 GPU is running with extra head room for 99% (potentially 100%) of the time. At the very least it should receive high quality shadows. Dynamic resolution seems like it would be the best way to go for future releases

eva01beserk said:
shikamaru317 said:

But are you telling me that it could be so bad that it would nesesitate a 43% quality drop to achive this stability? Not even the paper spec of these 2 machines will get you anywhere near that big of a drop. Not to mention up untill now we can basicly agree to near parity with most games but sudenly a 43% performance drop is logical? And its behind a locked quality setting to not allow is to see the real diference. 

Highly doubt vrr tvs where any consideration. They are not really the standard yet.

Sorry but this is just to fishy for me.

Is it fishy for a game to be slightly better optimised for one platform than another? These kind of things are to be expected and I don't think theres necessarily anything interesting behind it. Also I could be wrong but resolutions like 1800p are often chosen because they scale well on 4k TVs compared to a random value between 1800p and native 4k.

Would be nice if future patches get more performance out of the PS5 but its also not something that will really effect anyones experience of the game

A preview of things to come for this gen and multiplat games.

Azzanation said:
PotentHerbs said:

Demon's Souls & Miles Morales say otherwise.

Sure, meanwhile MS Flight Simulator renders the entire world on a HDD.

Also what does Demon Souls do with the SSD that no other game does?

Lol, have you tried running FS 2020 on a HDD? It works but you have to set the detail to low or it will crash sooner or later. Game and page file need to be on a fast SSD to be able to run high/ultra settings with online data. Perhaps it works without online enhanced data, but then you basically have FSX with better weather.

Anyway it still takes 7 minutes to go from desktop to in the air on my 2.6 GB/s SSD, CPU is the bottleneck. Although from HDD loading would be even longer. Shockingly you also need to optimize the software to load efficiently or the SSD boost is going to help less and less.

It's amazing to see what kind of smooth framerate you can get by not turning on RT.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.