By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry- Hitman 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series

eva01beserk said:
kirby007 said:

yes microsoft paid them off

You have a source for that?

It was confirmed in the local news where Kirby is from.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

You have a source for that?

It was confirmed in the local news where Kirby is from.

Vindication. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

PS5 got that blast processing being one second faster

but seriously it's nice to see it running great on every platform, interesting to see a select few not here.

I am a bit surprised the ps5 is only able to do 1800p with medium shadows as a 2070 can do 4k 60fps at Ultra settings on PC. And for a Raster game, the ps5 should be faster than a 2070.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

I am a bit surprised the ps5 is only able to do 1800p with medium shadows as a 2070 can do 4k 60fps at Ultra settings on PC. And for a Raster game, the ps5 should be faster than a 2070.

Yeah I was having the same thought. In terms of rasterization PS5 should really be hitting 4k since its raw FP performance falls between a 2070 and a 2080. I was thinking therefore (given that a Ryzen 3600 sits at 60% usage) it must have had something to do with memory bandwidth, since those Turing cards in that benchmark will have been able to hog the full GDDR6 bandwidth, with separate system memory (probably 32GB @at least 3200Mhz) for the CPU to load all those NPCs. So on that view the PS5 would have been handsomely powerful enough in terms of rendering to do 4k, and in terms of CPU, but comes short on memory bandwidth. It seems to be the only explanatory variable left. 

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

You gotta keep in mind that those numbers are the average. I bet the RTX 2070 falls below 60fps with a lot more frequency than the PS5.

eva01beserk said:
chakkra said:

And you don't have any guesses as to why that is? Or do you think they did it just because they liked that number?

Like I said before. I find it very suspicious that one console is allowed to strugle in areas while the other is not.

Did you find it suspicious in the other games where the PS5 outperformed the XSX? Or did you think that it was logical back then?

Look, the PS5 and XSX are vastly different. I think at this point should be very clear that some games will favor one architecture over the other depending on how they were developed. Games that need huge amounts of data to be streamed through the SSD will favor the PS5, while the games that put more strain on the GPU/CPU side of things will favor the XSX.

eva01beserk said:

Why are people calling this a victory? These are locked resolutions. They are not even allowed to go head to head.

And why do you think the developers chose those numbers? Lol. 

shikamaru317 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Guru3D benchmarks are average framerates though. A GPU can average 60 fps but still drop into the 50's or even 40's at times, much like Series X is locked 60 almost all the time, but falls into the 50's on the demanding outdoor section on that one single level. Hitman 3 can have some some pretty big drops at times it seems, I saw one video where somebody ran the in-game benchmarking tool on a 2070 and it had a minimum framerate of 42 fps compared to an average of 60 fps, considerably below the lowest drop that DF recorded on Series X. If IO wanted a completely locked 60 fps on PS5, I can see why they had to drop all the way to 1800p. 

It is kind of strange that none of the 3 consoles got Ultra shadows though, they range from low on Series S, to medium on PS5, to high on Series X. The PC benchmarks suggest that all 3 should be able to run ultra shadows at their respective resolutions. For instance Series S only has low shadows, even though you can run the game at 1080p all ultra settings at well over 60 fps average on a comparable PC GPU like the RX 470. Series S also has high textures instead of ultra, though that may be due to not having enough memory rather than a GPU issue. Maybe they just didn't optimize the console versions quite enough, I definitely feel like all 3 would be capable of ultra shadows with more optimization.

chakkra said:
Captain_Yuri said:

You gotta keep in mind that those numbers are the average. I bet the RTX 2070 falls below 60fps with a lot more frequency than the PS5.

They are average yea but in order to have an average, the fps also needs to go higher than 60fps and maintain a 60fps or above more often than not for it to be a 60fps average otherwise it will be less. Not to mention the Series X also went below that 60fps as well quite a few times during one of the levels but the devs still kept the resolution throughout the game which I am assuming is because throughout the rest of the game, it was fine.

So for the ps5 to be 1800p and medium shadows, for whatever reason, it needed to be consistently under 60fps at 4k for more than one level if we go by the "Criteria" the devs have for dropping settings/resolution.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

chakkra said:
eva01beserk said:

Like I said before. I find it very suspicious that one console is allowed to strugle in areas while the other is not.

Did you find it suspicious in the other games where the PS5 outperformed the XSX? Or did you think that it was logical back then?

Look, the PS5 and XSX are vastly different. I think at this point should be very clear that some games will favor one architecture over the other depending on how they were developed. Games that need huge amounts of data to be streamed through the SSD will favor the PS5, while the games that put more strain on the GPU/CPU side of things will favor the XSX.

What would be suspicious then? They both ran the same settings. So all things the same and one ran better than the other in some games and the other outperformed in other games. And in certain games that had diferent modes one console performed better in a mode and the other outperformed in a diferent mode.

This is the problem. We are no longer seing the same settings to say one is better than the other. But we can see one strugling and one not..so tje strugling one could have had its quality drop a bit and the other one could have its quality increase a bit. How much I don't know. But its ovniious that it's not a 2160 vs 1800 diference.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.