By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry- Hitman 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

Why are people calling this a victory? These are locked resolutions. They are not even allowed to go head to head.

PS5 resolution is 3200 x 1800, or 5.76m pixels. Xbox Series X is 3840 x 2160, or 8.29m pixels. In other words, Xbox Series X is pushing about 43% more pixels than PS5. On top of that, Xbox Series X has the high setting shadows from the PC version while PS5 has the medium setting shadows from the PC version. PS5 does have a framerate advantage, but only on a single area of a single level pretty much, the rest of the time they are both 60 fps. Seems like a victory for Series X overall to me.

That isn't what he is disputing.  He seems to think that if the resolutions were left dynamic, the power of the PS5 would magically push it to 4k without any other optimization, and somehow raise the shadow setting as well.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
shikamaru317 said:

PS5 resolution is 3200 x 1800, or 5.76m pixels. Xbox Series X is 3840 x 2160, or 8.29m pixels. In other words, Xbox Series X is pushing about 43% more pixels than PS5. On top of that, Xbox Series X has the high setting shadows from the PC version while PS5 has the medium setting shadows from the PC version. PS5 does have a framerate advantage, but only on a single area of a single level pretty much, the rest of the time they are both 60 fps. Seems like a victory for Series X overall to me.

That isn't what he is disputing.  He seems to think that if the resolutions were left dynamic, the power of the PS5 would magically push it to 4k without any other optimization, and somehow raise the shadow setting as well.

When did I say that? I'm basicly asking why lock the ps5 resolution at 1800p? The Xbox is allowed to drop in framerate why not allow the ps5 to do the same?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

When did I say that? I'm basicly asking why lock the ps5 resolution at 1800p? The Xbox is allowed to drop in framerate why not allow the ps5 to do the same?

Because perhaps the the developer saw a bigger drop in frames with the PS5 than they were willing to allow, and perhaps a lot more frequently than an isolated spot in a single level.

Shikamaru317 added a nice explanation of that in his edit to his last reply to you.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

They locked the resolutions at what the developers felt each console ran the game best at, even lowered the shadows on PS5.  Do you not know what a head 2 head comparison actually is?

This is not a game running via BC, this is a gen 9 optimized cross gen game.  By your logic, any PS5 slim victory in the past could be discarded because they don't run on the same settings for dynamic resolution.

The mistake with your comparison is that dynamic resolution is the result of the console strugling and droping resolution. A locked resolution is dev made. As in it could be higjer but devs dont allow it.

And you don't have any guesses as to why that is? Or do you think they did it just because they liked that number?

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

Why are people calling this a victory? These are locked resolutions. They are not even allowed to go head to head.

I suppose they could implement an optional resolution mode on PS5 that is full 4K, so we could get a like for like comparison with Series X, but based on the fact that it seemingly took a 43% pixel count reduction and a shadow quality reduction for them to hit locked 60 fps on PS5, I suspect that if PS5 did have a native 4K resolution mode, the framerate on it would drop much lower than the 50 fps that Series X drops to at the lowest on the outdoor flower section on the single level. 

But again. The ps5 has a locked framerate so it means the ps5 could push avive that and like the xbox drop in certain areas. It seems very suspicious to me that the game is locked at a lower resolution while the framerate seems to indicate it can go higher.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
eva01beserk said:

The mistake with your comparison is that dynamic resolution is the result of the console strugling and droping resolution. A locked resolution is dev made. As in it could be higjer but devs dont allow it.

And you don't have any guesses as to why that is? Or do you think they did it just because they liked that number?

Like I said before. I find it very suspicious that one console is allowed to strugle in areas while the other is not.

more like policy then anything else this could have been a ps4 pro vs one x debate

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

Hard to say, only IO devs know for sure, but my suspicion would be that they tried native 4K on PS5 and the framerate drops were lower than they are on Series X at 4K, low enough that they felt that people would complain about the game being stuttery. Maybe they had drops on more levels than just one on PS5 at 4K as well, Series X only drops below 60 fps on that single level according to DF, and the game has 20+ levels if you import all of the Hitman 1 and 2 levels and their DLC levels. Also worth noting that Series X already has variable refresh rate support while PS5 does not, VRR can make that 50 fps area on Series X look much better if your tv or monitor supports it. 

But are you telling me that it could be so bad that it would nesesitate a 43% quality drop to achive this stability? Not even the paper spec of these 2 machines will get you anywhere near that big of a drop. Not to mention up untill now we can basicly agree to near parity with most games but sudenly a 43% performance drop is logical? And its behind a locked quality setting to not allow is to see the real diference. 

Highly doubt vrr tvs where any consideration. They are not really the standard yet.

Sorry but this is just to fishy for me.

yes microsoft paid them off

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

yes microsoft paid them off

You have a source for that?