By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry- Hitman 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series

Clean looking game. Glad that developers are getting better with utilizing the Series X.

Around the Network

Finally seeing the extra horsepower being used. Good stuff.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Looks like the Series X pulls out a slim victory. Good to see near parity for PS5/Series X multiplats.

I'm assuming this is running in BC mode? Otherwise, why is there no RT?

Feels like the first big-ish win for Series X? Medium size win? win? of a size?

Anyways this is one of the few cross-gen games where I feel it really really important that I experience this on a next-gen platform. Whether an upgraded PC or otherwise. So wait I will : (

PotentHerbs said:

Looks like the Series X pulls out a slim victory. Good to see near parity for PS5/Series X multiplats.

I'm assuming this is running in BC mode? Otherwise, why is there no RT?

No, these are the optimized version for XSX and PS5. 

Around the Network

Native 4k with a mostly solid 60 fps and a higher setting for the shadows seems like a pretty clear cut victory for the XSX here. Even the load times are damn near identical, despite the SSD boasting. This kind of difference between multiplats is what I expect to be the norm moving forward as more devs get time with the delayed devkits for the Series consoles. Not a huge difference, but a notable one. Looks and runs great on both overall though.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Why are people calling this a victory? These are locked resolutions. They are not even allowed to go head to head.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

Why are people calling this a victory? These are locked resolutions. They are not even allowed to go head to head.

They locked the resolutions at what the developers felt each console ran the game best at, even lowered the shadows on PS5.  Do you not know what a head 2 head comparison actually is?

This is not a game running via BC, this is a gen 9 optimized cross gen game.  By your logic, any PS5 slim victory in the past could be discarded because they don't run on the same settings for dynamic resolution.

Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

They locked the resolutions at what the developers felt each console ran the game best at, even lowered the shadows on PS5.  Do you not know what a head 2 head comparison actually is?

This is not a game running via BC, this is a gen 9 optimized cross gen game.  By your logic, any PS5 slim victory in the past could be discarded because they don't run on the same settings for dynamic resolution.

The mistake with your comparison is that dynamic resolution is the result of the console strugling and droping resolution. A locked resolution is dev made. As in it could be higjer but devs dont allow it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

The mistake with your comparison is that dynamic resolution is the result of the console strugling and droping resolution. A locked resolution is dev made. As in it could be higjer but devs dont allow it.

Incorrect, as the range for the dynamic resolution differs from console to console.  See AC Valhalla where the developer lowered the minimum scalable resolution on the XSX version.  This was a dev made condition, and the reason it can hit lower than the PS5 (as confirmed by DF).  Now they did that to help the screen tearing and frame rate problem, but as we know Valhalla was a buggy game that lacked a lot of optimization to begin with.

Anyway that is another discussion entirely, but it is one example of how you are making false claims.  Dynamic resolution ranges are set by the developer, just like locked resolutions.  Just because you want to believe things work a certain way, doesn't mean it does.