By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry- Hitman 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series

Shinobi-san said:
Pemalite said:

Drops below a locked framerate shouldn't be a big deal anymore, variable refresh rate displays are a thing...

I definitely can't tell when I drop from 144hz to 100hz because of it. (Although when that happens I upgrade my PC)

shikamaru317 said:

If we do see benefits from SSD's beyond reduced load times, they will certainly be on fully current-gen games. I can see some ways where an SSD might speed up some things like texture loads, but I personally don't think we'll see much in the way of SSD secret sauce techniques on PS5, like not rendering assets behind the player to boost graphics in front of the player, by utilizing the SSD and RAM to quickly reload what is off-screen before the player can turn and see that it was missing. While it works in theory, I can't see many devs, especially multiplat devs, taking the extra time to do anything with PS5's SSD that wouldn't also be possible on the Series S/X SSD and slower PC SSD's.

PC has been SSD for years.

Keep in mind the Xbox Series X also has an SSD and can also do all those same things, just the PS5 is better at it.
The Original Xbox was doing that stuff as well... On a mechanical hard drive.

The faster the drive, the higher quality the assets you can swap in, no new wheels are being invented here, it's a refinement of 30~ year old technology.

Honestly, the shadows aren't even a big deal.

But yeah, I don't see why it isn't native 4k. The performance gap between the two machines isn't that great, unless the PS5 is extremely ROP bound in this game.

Shinobi-san said:

In a way I'm kinda sad all the hype has died down around console parity between Series X and PS5. I doubt we will be seeing much complaints about the PS5 version, when in reality I'm sure with a bit more time and optimization we could probably get to 4k60fps.

The fact that we put so much emphasis into these early gen comparisons is really crazy, Gamers Nexus has a serious video about how the PS5 is equivalent to a GTX1060 claiming that its impossible for a $399 machine to perform at the same level as a mid-high end gaming machine of 2020. This was done using DMC as a benchmark.

A mid-high-end PC is definitely faster than the next-gen consoles.
Not that it says allot, supply/demand has been bullshit lately as PC hardware is selling like gangbusters, so no one can buy anything.

I would also argue the Series X isn't a full RDNA2 experience either as it lacks the Infinity Cache... Although the Series X/Playstation 5's level of performance means hey generally don't need it.

The average mid-high end gaming pc of 2020 would be rocking a RTX2060-RTX2070 gpu and most likely a 6-8 core cpu. Roughly speaking id say this lands in the ballpark of next gen consoles. I mean I cant see any reason why it wouldn't.

To equate one of the next gen consoles to a gtx1060 is laughable.

As a side note, mid-high end in the PC market has truly taken on a whole new price tag in 2020 and it looks to be getting even worse in 2021. And if you are not living in the US, which is most of the world, a RTX3060ti is coming in at what typically would be high end gpu prices. 

I would say that had prices remained even remotely "normal" the statement would be true post the 3000 series launch, given how fast a RTX3060ti is.

The 3000 and RX 6000 series dropped in 2020 remember.

Prices are certainly out of control... Allot of that has to do with Trumps taxes on imports... And a lack of supply, meaning retailers can justify a higher price as miners are picking up every single GPU they can.
And COVID possibly impacting manufacturing and distribution and other logistical items.

Ram:
4GB - Extreme budget/netbooks.
8GB - Low End.
16GB - Mid Range. (Consoles)
32GB - High End.
64GB - Enthusiast/workstations.

As for CPU's.
Low-end is 2-4 Cores.
Mid-range is 6-8 cores. (Consoles)
High-end is 12-16 cores.
Enthusiast is 24-64 cores.

Zen3 is also 15-20% faster at the same clock as the console CPU's as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

the real question is why didn't jrpgfan make this thread

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

So DF released their Console vs PC comparison and the theory that Alex has is that it's a memory bandwidth issue on the ps5 which is the main reason why it's under-performing so heavily in this game where as the Series X is performing as normal.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Pemalite said:
Shinobi-san said:

The average mid-high end gaming pc of 2020 would be rocking a RTX2060-RTX2070 gpu and most likely a 6-8 core cpu. Roughly speaking id say this lands in the ballpark of next gen consoles. I mean I cant see any reason why it wouldn't.

To equate one of the next gen consoles to a gtx1060 is laughable.

As a side note, mid-high end in the PC market has truly taken on a whole new price tag in 2020 and it looks to be getting even worse in 2021. And if you are not living in the US, which is most of the world, a RTX3060ti is coming in at what typically would be high end gpu prices. 

I would say that had prices remained even remotely "normal" the statement would be true post the 3000 series launch, given how fast a RTX3060ti is.

The 3000 and RX 6000 series dropped in 2020 remember.

Prices are certainly out of control... Allot of that has to do with Trumps taxes on imports... And a lack of supply, meaning retailers can justify a higher price as miners are picking up every single GPU they can.
And COVID possibly impacting manufacturing and distribution and other logistical items.

Ram:
4GB - Extreme budget/netbooks.
8GB - Low End.
16GB - Mid Range. (Consoles)
32GB - High End.
64GB - Enthusiast/workstations.

As for CPU's.
Low-end is 2-4 Cores.
Mid-range is 6-8 cores. (Consoles)
High-end is 12-16 cores.
Enthusiast is 24-64 cores.

Zen3 is also 15-20% faster at the same clock as the console CPU's as well.

@bolded yep that is why i specifically stated the average mid-high end gaming pc of 2020. There is no possible way given the supply issues, that the new gpus have become average.

Not actually sure what is the argument here? All I said in my initial post is that to equate a new console to a gtx1060 is incorrect. And even given your loose definition of what is mid and high in 2020...its roughly in that ballpark. Not controversial stuff here.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Captain_Yuri said:

So DF released their Console vs PC comparison and the theory that Alex has is that it's a memory bandwidth issue on the ps5 which is the main reason why it's under-performing so heavily in this game where as the Series X is performing as normal.

Bandwidth likely holding back fillrates at 4k.

It's only an edge case, once we get a few dozen more games out on the market we should start to see trends on where roughly the hardware lays.

Shinobi-san said:

@bolded yep that is why i specifically stated the average mid-high end gaming pc of 2020. There is no possible way given the supply issues, that the new gpus have become average.

Not actually sure what is the argument here? All I said in my initial post is that to equate a new console to a gtx1060 is incorrect. And even given your loose definition of what is mid and high in 2020...its roughly in that ballpark. Not controversial stuff here.

Not actually disagreeing with you at all, just thought I would elaborate on a few key points.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

the real question is why didn't jrpgfan make this thread

I was thinking the same, usually so prompt!

Nice to see SX not being held back and they've taken advantage of the power.

i wish they had updated the engine and only foccused on next gen systems. I've seen better looking games on base ps4

Captain_Yuri said:

For those who don't want to see the whole video:

shikamaru317 said:
Conina said:

For those who don't want to see the whole video:

Kind of strange how both Series X and PS5 are punching below their weight class. Before release we had speculation based on on-paper specs that Series X would be about 2080 tier and PS5 about 2070 Super tier (in non-raytraced tasks), but yet here in Hitman 3, PS5 falls in below 2060 super and Series X falls in between 2060 super and 2070 super. And it's been a similar story in other cross-gen games that have released so far.

Just goes to show that you can't really trust on-paper specs for a console before release.

Maybe the game is CPU heavy? You guys keep forgetting that there is a lot more to these systems than just the GPU. Besides, I'm sure that this is because the developers are still unfamiliar with the consoles and are not able to squeeze all the performance out of them yet.

KratosLives said:

i wish they had updated the engine and only foccused on next gen systems. I've seen better looking games on base ps4

Running with the same resolution and at the same frame rate?