By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the best controllers for gaming?

Xbox been consistently my go to, even tho the D-pad is kinda meh. Series D-pad is pretty nice so I'd go with that as my current favorite. Gamecube and Xbox controller S (original xbox) are the first comfortable controllers. period! Grew up playing Snes and Genesis but never again with those controllers.

Around the Network

My personal fave is probably the gamecube controller - always loved it's shape and design but I will admit it has its flaws. Objectively speaking though I think these are probably the top 5 in terms of function and innovation:

NES - Not a big fan of its shape but the D-pad was such a step up from digital joysticks & dial pads that came before it.
SNES - Epic controller for its time and still brilliant for retro gaming (I use this on my raspberry pi)
PS1 - Dualshock was the first to have twin analog sticks which is necessary for 3D gaming (that and built-in rumble was cool).
360 - Easily the best pad of its generation. PS3 was still stuck on old dualshock design and the Wiimote was...different I guess.
Wii U - Very underrated imo. Gamepad is genuinely comfortable with built in screen allowing user to play without TV (very useful feature in my house!).

EDIT: Thought I should give mention to the Saturn pad. Not really innovative but it is great for retro gaming especially on old school fighters which the Saturn excelled at.

DS3 for Rocket League. Xbox elite for everything else.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

For 2D gaming I really like using an arcade stick. The more the controller feels like arcade controls, the better.

For 3D gaming I don't really care too much. All of the standard ones feel more or less the same to me. I guess if I had my choice, I would want all of the controls to support Wiimote + nunchuck, but overall there really aren't that many 3D action games that I care enough about.

Ds3, Ds4 and Xbox360's are the best controls I have ever used and my personal favorites.
When it comes to nintendo, I've always have had to "get used" to whatever weird design they are using for every new console, they always have a bad first impression for me.

That said, I consider this topic not very important, because again, you always get used to whatever controller the console uses. Even that abomination the N64 had.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:

Ds3, Ds4 and Xbox360's are the best controls I have ever used and my personal favorites.
When it comes to nintendo, I've always have had to "get used" to whatever weird design they are using for every new console, they always have a bad first impression for me.

That said, I consider this topic not very important, because again, you always get used to whatever controller the console uses. Even that abomination the N64 had.

I don't remember if I ever touched a N64 controller. Maybe when I was very young.

Switch Pro controller. Best controller I've ever had (and I got the SNES, DS1, DS3, Game Cube, Xbox 360, Wiimote and DS4

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

GameCube Controller: A classic. I love the feel of it.
Xbox 360 Controller: Barely used the Xbox One controller, but it didn't feel quite as comfy as the 360 controller. I don't know how the Series controller is.
DualShock 4: Battery life is bleh, but it's a comfy enough controller. I like the features a lot too, though the light bar is too big.
Switch Pro Controller: Just about the only flaw is the lack of analog triggers.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Jpcc86 said:

This is actually a positive thing for me, at least most of the time, as having a new controller helps a system to feel more fresh to me. Xbox/PS would appeal to me more I think if they were more innovative with their controllers instead of using the same basic design repeatedly.

I mean, I love the 360 pad for example but I still would like it if for example you had the option to split it, added gyro/IR, etc.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Anyone remember the Wii U Pro Controller? It is godlike. Felt perfect and had a huge battery. Only bad thing about it was that it is glossy, so it could eventually become sticky from your fingerprints. But it was great nonetheless, and I appreciated a lot that it had the two sticks on the top side.

The Switch Pro Controller is probably better, though, the materials feel premium, it's quite heavy and in general it's great on the hands. I'd also make a shout-out to the Wii U Gamepad just for what it is.