By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official GOTY Awards - Results Thread

Machina said:

Best Puzzle Game of 2020

This is one where the community winner did not win the combined vote (it got runner-up). In fact in the end the top three games were all within 0.8% of one another, making this one of the closest results (but not the closest, which is still to come).

Looks like 2020 was a good year for puzzle games.  I don't have any of these games yet, but I will likely get both Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 and Clubhouse Games at some point.  Both look like good games.

Around the Network
Machina said:

Best VR Game of 2020

The most one-sided of all the awards this year. The winner claimed almost 60% of the combined vote and was 44% ahead of its nearest rival.

I think Valve shot this one out of the park. Probably a lot of games in the future will take notes.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

2020 sure sucked in terms of RTS games, at least for me. I saw more turn based tactics game in that poll than a pure RTS game.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Machina said:

Best Art Direction of 2020

This was a close fight between Ori and Ghost of Tsushima. But everyone else was a long ways off the pace when it came to the voting, struggling to surpass even 5% of the vote.

Well deserved win for Ori, it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever laid eyes on.

Looking forward to the last few categories and the overall winner.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Machina said:

Best RPG of 2020

A pretty packed line-up (there was also Xenoblade Chronicles, which narrowly missed out on a spot in the shortlist), but a fairly comfortable win in the end for the victor, which was 13% clear of its nearest rival.

Wow, you snubbed Xenoblade Chronicles again. VGC staff should be ashamed of themselves.

Perhaps you shouldn't have given a spot to Paper Mario: The Origami King on the shortlist, because that game isn't even an RPG. How did that happen in the first place? Who specifically on the team believes that it is an RPG?

I think I voted for Xenoblade Chronicles, but probably it didn't get enough votes to get to the shortlist. Most categories had more than five entries.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

RolStoppable said:
Mnementh said:

I think I voted for Xenoblade Chronicles, but probably it didn't get enough votes to get to the shortlist. Most categories had more than five entries.

Okay, so the community did its part here. But still, Paper Mario being a part of the initial vote was still decided on by the staff.

Yeah. But there is a limited number of options it could've fit into. You actually see the genre categories. Paper Mario is obviously not a fighting game, a shooter or a racing game. I am not sure if it is a strategy game. Eventually it would fit with puzzle games. Action and adventure game seem the most fitting categories.

Wow, a remake is winning more awards at this point. I thought Ori's OST as well as DOOM's was something else. We've all heard what an old game's OST is like revamped, but I would have given the award to a new game with new tunes.

I know this is user based voting, but I can't help but shake off the feeling like we're still faction based voting, and not actually voting for what strived the most, that also isn't on said console as an exclusive.

Like not being funny or anything, but I've owned and played AC NH for months and months now, and it's still felt more barebones compared to NL back in 2013. Compared to MS flight sim, which tries to base itself on realistic visuals, flight control and locations, it really strove far, and that series is far more niche than AC, and yet it's done multiple things.

Then there's Spiritfarer, a game full of beautiful colours, that holds it's own charm, as well as the fact that the game deals with moving on with life, letting go those that you've become friends with, as they pass on into the afterlife, and that obviously will touch some people's strings (myself included, because I've lost much of my family over the past 4 years). I feel like those two games have gone that bit further than the likes of NH, and I just cannot think that it got what it did, without faction base voting. I know what this site is like, it's mostly Nintendo/Sony based, and it'll only change if we want it to (which it likely will never, because our site is hardly front page anywhere).

Like at least CGI's awards changed a bit this time around, and I was glad to see some actual change in voting types and results. The results for this are just making me see Sony/Ninty games getting the majority of votes, and not indies actually trying to do stuff, let alone an MS game game or two nabbing a few more badges, y'know, a bit of a change up.

Anyway, that's just my lil gabber. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Machina said:

Not to take anything away from the quality of the remake, but I agree with you.

Regarding the faction stuff, that is the main reason we have staff voting as well as community voting to make up the overall. The community brings breadth of experience but undoubtedly factionalism too, the staff brings the opposite, and the hope is a balance is struck in the middle. 

Indies will almost always struggle in anything vote-based (with some high profile exceptions, like Hades and Ori), because they're not as widely known about or played. Unless the awards were to be solely deliberation-based I don't think that can be avoided. But deliberation-based brings a whole host of other problems, not least of which would be the community feeling left out and pissed off.

Aye, and it's why I wish a good chunk here gave indies more of a chance throughout the year, because there's quite some innovative darling titles out there. Some try something new, some try something old, but give it a new twist, and there's a  high chance it'll get ignored on here, because it's not a Sony or Ninty exclusive game (which shouldn't have to be a factor, but it ends up being one when you look at the votes and history over time).

Games like Undertale, Kyneseed have me wanting high profile games to adopt what should be the standard of having pacifist style gameplay, or in Kyneseed's case, having an RPG where you can actually age in-game, have a family/kids, die and play as the kid, because I think those two things really bring some depth to gameplay/story telling over say, some random samurai taking on a whole clan (which we've seen already multiple times in the past), and not having any of those two aspects.

Like I want those high profile exclusives to really do something incredibly special, because as I get older, I start seeing the hundred million being poured into these games as being more toward marketing than actual game advancement. Like I wanna interact with those game worlds, not climb radio towers or do basic casual level stuff you'd easily find in a mobile game, and a lot of AAA games are insanely guilty of this really old trope.

Last edited by Chazore - on 15 January 2021

Chazore said:
Machina said:

Not to take anything away from the quality of the remake, but I agree with you.

Regarding the faction stuff, that is the main reason we have staff voting as well as community voting to make up the overall. The community brings breadth of experience but undoubtedly factionalism too, the staff brings the opposite, and the hope is a balance is struck in the middle. 

Indies will almost always struggle in anything vote-based (with some high profile exceptions, like Hades and Ori), because they're not as widely known about or played. Unless the awards were to be solely deliberation-based I don't think that can be avoided. But deliberation-based brings a whole host of other problems, not least of which would be the community feeling left out and pissed off.

Aye, and it's why I wish a good chunk here gave indies more of a chance throughout the year, because there's quite some innovative darling titles out there. Some try something new, some try something old, but give it a new twist, and there's a  high chance it'll get ignored on here, because it's not a Sony or Ninty exclusive game (which shouldn't have to be a factor, but it ends up being one when you look at the votes and history over time).

Games like Undertale, Kyneseed have me wanting high profile games to adopt what should be the standard of having pacifist style gameplay, or in Kyneseed's case, having an RPG where you can actually age in-game, have a family/kids, die and play as the kid, because I think those two things really bring some depth to gameplay/story telling over say, some random samurai taking on a whole clan (which we've seen already multiple times in the past), and not having any of those two aspects.

Like I want those high profile exclusives to really do something incredibly special, because as I get older, I start seeing the hundred million being poured into these games as being more toward marketing than actual game advancement. Like I wanna interact with those game worlds, not climb radio towers or do basic casual level stuff you'd easily find in a mobile game, and a lot of AAA games are insanely guilty of this really old trope.

I would like if a some categories solely feature indies or even better: if in each category the best indie is named as well.