By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official GOTY Awards - Results Thread

mZuzek said:
Jaicee said:

What I'd ideally like to see from you is an actual case for why, in your view, Ori deserved to win over TLOU2 rather than just an endless, directionless trashing of the community choice.

Because Ori and the Will of the Wisps is a fucking amazing game.

It is! But TLOU2 is an even more fucking amazing game!

(I can say that on this thread without breaking the internet.)

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Sure enough, but I feel the people massively downvoting positive comments wouldn't be the well thought out ones.

Hence why I said the people outside the site. But at the same time we have not well thought out smug responses seen on this site as well, regardless of what it won or not.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Jaicee said:

What I'd ideally like to see from you is an actual case for why, in your view, Ori deserved to win over TLOU2 rather than just an endless, directionless trashing of the community choice.

You're not going to get an answer or a case stuy, if you're going to come back at me like that, because in your view, you've already pre-determined not only your view on what I can say as being what is bolded, but also what your own answer would be.

You also excused TLOU2, a game with a far higher budget than any small studio could dream of (and trust me, a lot actually do), yet you didn't really put much out for Ori, and even stripped it down to being a basic "cosmetic expansion", completely ignoring what it had too offer, it's art direction etc. 

You and others seem to be forever stuck into this weird, company warped mentality that a smaller game can never be better than one with a bigger budget and hype marketing, and "haterz" rallying against it. I find it a bit remorseful that some cannot look past it, no matter what is said.

A game like Night in the Woods helped me accept and deal with the fact that my mother was gone forever, back in 2017, and no other big budget game made me realise this, because most high budget games are designed for a casual crowd, not poaching questions on life and death, hell, even spiritfarer brings me back to the view of life and death and passing on, yet I still see no massive insane budgeted title delving into those aspects of life. There's still no game that evokes such power and questions in the AAA space, with an anime like Evangelion for example.

All you get with TLOU II is quite literally a culmination of borrowed ideas and concepts from other existing medias that deal with outbreaks and apocalypse scenarios, yet it again gets a pass, because it's somehow incredibly unique? (While we all conveniently ignore The walking dead, Night of the living dead, day of the dead, TTG The Walking dead etc, all dealing with outbreaks and apocalypse scenarios with drama involved).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

This thread is like:

Person A - TLOU2 should have won! Hurray!

Person B - Well I wish another game would have won.

Person A - No one can have logical reasons for voting against TLOU2. Anyone who does is cancelled!

Dulfite said:

This thread is like:

Person A - No one can have logical reasons for voting against TLOU2. Anyone who does is cancelled!

Really? Because here's an approximation of what the GOTY main page looks like to me:

HATER 1: Boo! +1

FAN: I liked this game. -20

HATER 2: Stop persecuting me! People have legitimate reasons for not liking this game, you know?! +15

STAFFER: I agree with the haters. +267

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Jaicee said:

You're not going to get an answer or a case stuy, if you're going to come back at me like that, because in your view, you've already pre-determined not only your view on what I can say as being what is bolded, but also what your own answer would be.

You also excused TLOU2, a game with a far higher budget than any small studio could dream of (and trust me, a lot actually do), yet you didn't really put much out for Ori, and even stripped it down to being a basic "cosmetic expansion", completely ignoring what it had too offer, it's art direction etc. 

You and others seem to be forever stuck into this weird, company warped mentality that a smaller game can never be better than one with a bigger budget and hype marketing, and "haterz" rallying against it. I find it a bit remorseful that some cannot look past it, no matter what is said.

A game like Night in the Woods helped me accept and deal with the fact that my mother was gone forever, back in 2017, and no other big budget game made me realise this, because most high budget games are designed for a casual crowd, not poaching questions on life and death, hell, even spiritfarer brings me back to the view of life and death and passing on, yet I still see no massive insane budgeted title delving into those aspects of life. There's still no game that evokes such power and questions in the AAA space, with an anime like Evangelion for example.

All you get with TLOU II is quite literally a culmination of borrowed ideas and concepts from other existing medias that deal with outbreaks and apocalypse scenarios, yet it again gets a pass, because it's somehow incredibly unique? (While we all conveniently ignore The walking dead, Night of the living dead, day of the dead, TTG The Walking dead etc, all dealing with outbreaks and apocalypse scenarios with drama involved).

Okay, some things:

First of all, I've been a fucking peach to you so far and even sought to befriend you just a few posts ago because it seemed to me like we were of strikingly similar tastes and attitudes. I don't think I've earned this asshole tone so change it or you'll get no further replies from me.

Secondly, the comparison I requested was based on your direct suggestion that Ori and Will of the Wisps should've won for Game of the Year. I don't think it was out of line for me to ask why it was you felt that way. Instead I get an explanation of why Night in the Woods was better...? *shrugs* Well whatevs.

Anyway, Night in the Woods reminded me a LOT of the town where I live actually and the sorta scene I used to hang around back in the day. And also cats. And rhythm games. And Demon Tower. Loved it! If you're looking for me to say something bad about that game, you've come to the wrong place! It speaks the fucking truth. We NEED some more goddamn economic justice in this world!

Spiritfarer got to me too, as you might have noticed by the fact that I've repeatedly listed it as my second-favorite game from this year and my 7th favorite game of all time.

I resent being classified as a "casual" gamer because I was so shallow as to get something out of one whole AAA game this year. Personally, I've lost every loved one who's ever been in my life in one sense or another and honestly never really felt like I had a dad in the proper sense 'cause mine...well...we won't go into that here. Point is that, ya know, a character like Joel had a special meaning and resonance to me. The Last of Us Part II ripped a band-aid off a gaping wound in my heart if I can be so sappy as to put it that way, broke me, and made me confront some of my deepest personal demons, including my own hates in life, not least of which being my contempt for myself. I mean the process was brutal, but I actually felt like I got something very important out of it, unlike with most games and it made me realize that it needed to be brutal. I'll also be 100% with you on this: the depth of my connection with Ellie as a character was a huge factor. She's not my favorite character, but definitely the one I most relate to perhaps in all of video games. TLOU2 also gave me some of what for me were the happiest scenes I've experienced in a game. Like I can only dream of getting married and starting a family and well the way that was portrayed here with it being two women and everything was something I'd not seen before in this medium and just for getting to experience a little taste of that in a virtual form by itself was adequate to make the game worth playing to me even ignoring everything else it has on offer.

Well I'm rambling now and I could go on and on about TLOU2 if I don't stop myself. Anyway, I'm calmer than I was when I started at this point but I guess that tells you something about the effect TLOU2 still has on me. It's absolutely among the most powerful gaming experiences I've ever had and I will NOT back down from supporting its win here!

BraLoD said:

It's actually the opposite.

Literally the first response after TLoU2 was nominated the GOTY was a sarcastic "of course it was TLoU2..." followed by a "it's always Sony or Nintendo...", as if those companies are to be blamed for constantly making the best or most beloved games out there...

The amount of that stuff that comes with a calling as if it's the opposite that's happening (as if TLoU2 fans can't accept another games win) is what happens the most.

As the raccoon pointed, people go waste their time downvoting others that are happy TLoU2 won, keep trying to downplay it everytime they can to put it in a bad light... yet TLoU2 keeps on winning and winning... just let it go.

You can like and dislike anything you feel like, and other people will do the same based on their own views, but let stop this nonsense spinning of the situation, what is happening is that some people can't deal with TLoU2, before it even released, during its spotlight time and even with its crowning now, that's just what this situation is, nothing else.

"Best beloved games out there", so no one else makes good and beloved games?, alright then.

It's also nice to know that while you're picking the bone with me, you've also completely ignored the real in your face smug folk on here, who kept holding that game on the highest pedestal, that they'd rub it in other's faces and auto labelling them as "haterz".

It's nice to know where your priorities lie, BraLod. I'm sure the sarcastic response will follow up, rather than admittance to ignoring the other side and forgetting to bring it up in your post above (Which yes, you did forget).

People waste time downvoting anyone else who speaks out against TLOU II, or did you also forget that as well?.

It's funny how you say some people can't "deal", when those people on the other side (yourself included, going by the 4 times you've completed the game and cried over it's conclusion) can't deal with criticism of the game in general, let alone it getting GOTY over everything else. 

Also, cite my name if you're going to include me, because that's rude as hell.

Last edited by Chazore - on 20 January 2021

Jaicee said:
Dulfite said:

This thread is like:

Really? Because here's an approximation of what the GOTY main page looks like to me:

HATER 1: Boo! +1

FAN: I liked this game. -20

HATER 2: Stop persecuting me! People have legitimate reasons for not liking this game, you know?! +15

STAFFER: I agree with the haters. +267

I said this thread, not the article.

mZuzek said:
Chazore said:

You and others seem to be forever stuck into this weird, company warped mentality that a smaller game can never be better than one with a bigger budget and hype marketing

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the rest of your post but this is something you can't say about Jaicee. Her top 50 list is dominated by indie games.

Edit: and on that note, too, I think Ori and the Will of the Wisps probably had a larger budget than pretty much any indie game out there. Not sure where the line is drawn between indie and non-indie, but wherever it is, Moon Studios isn't too far from it.

Ori was created by an Indie Studio (Moon Studios) who might have had quite a big budget from Microsoft, however Moon Studios is still an Indie company so it makes Ori an Indie title in my eyes regardless if the IP is owned by Microsoft.

In my view, I also believe Valve is an Indie studio since they are self dependent and not owned. They would be considered more a AAA Indie Studio or something along the lines if we were to make sense of the words used.

Indie use to stand for Independent however the terminology might of changed over the years referring to Indies as smaller budgeted games due to the nature of the industry. Obviously Indie studios don't have the resources as full fledged owned AAA Studios which is why we see Indies as smaller titles. However its all loose terms thrown around to categorize companies which is a grey area in the gaming business.