By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo "laughed their assess off" when Microsoft tried to acquire the company in 2000

sales2099 said:
Dulfite said:

A decade later, the former chief Xbox officer revisits his critical decisions | VentureBeat

"Microsoft lost $5 billion to $7 billion on the original Xbox, launched in 2001."

Nintendo, Gamecube and profit. - System Wars - GameSpot

"With the exception of the small period of time when Nintendo cut the price to $99, Nintendo sold the Gamecube with profit on every unit. Sony did not do the same with the PS2."

Nintendo vary much had the "last laugh" that generation, and the next one, and the next one.

MS being a far richer company makes this not really matter. Point being gamers played Xbox more then the GameCube. Again speaking as a sole GameCube owner of that gen. No disrespect intended. 

If more gamers play Xbox because they sold the device at a loss and took massive losses for years, that isn't really winning is my point. I could come out with a console that is the power of Xbox Series X and sell it for $1 and it could sell billions, but would you consider me and my company winning compared to the others? No, that would be silly. Profits are all that matters.

Also, it isn't Nintendo vs. Sony vs. Microsoft. It's Nintendo vs. Xbox Studios vs. PlayStation. If Xbox was a standalone division, the original Xbox would have ended their company. If PlayStation was a standalone company, the first few years of PS3 and Vita may have ended their company. Xbox was saved by Microsoft's massive money from windows/office products (amongst other things) and PlayStation was saved by TV/Entertainment center sales. I'm very glad both Xbox and PlayStation are still going and thriving in their own unique ways, by the way, as I want a healthy gaming market. Nintendo either dies or succeeds on video game hardware/software alone. They don't have a sugar daddy in some massive industry (windows, TV sales) to bail them out if they bomb like the other two companies do. Because of that fact, I think the only fair way to compare the three of them is based on profits for their gaming divisions and Nintendo easily wins that battle.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Profit should be what we are tracking here, not operating income. Just saying.

Microsoft's is "lost" which means despite operating income they lost that much money on the first Xbox. Nintendo's is clearly profit. As to the chart, I don't know 100% what that is (on my phone at the moment) but Nintendo has been good on profit for decades looking at past data.

I see. Didn't notice that the chart could go into the negative like that. I thought operating income was the money that comes in from operating your business. Profit would be operating income minus expenses. But I see investopedia defines it differently, so your graph was perfectly right all along.

Dulfite said:
sales2099 said:

MS being a far richer company makes this not really matter. Point being gamers played Xbox more then the GameCube. Again speaking as a sole GameCube owner of that gen. No disrespect intended. 

If more gamers play Xbox because they sold the device at a loss and took massive losses for years, that isn't really winning is my point. I could come out with a console that is the power of Xbox Series X and sell it for $1 and it could sell billions, but would you consider me and my company winning compared to the others? No, that would be silly. Profits are all that matters.

Also, it isn't Nintendo vs. Sony vs. Microsoft. It's Nintendo vs. Xbox Studios vs. PlayStation. If Xbox was a standalone division, the original Xbox would have ended their company. If PlayStation was a standalone company, the first few years of PS3 and Vita may have ended their company. Xbox was saved by Microsoft's massive money from windows/office products (amongst other things) and PlayStation was saved by TV/Entertainment center sales. I'm very glad both Xbox and PlayStation are still going and thriving in their own unique ways, by the way, as I want a healthy gaming market. Nintendo either dies or succeeds on video game hardware/software alone. They don't have a sugar daddy in some massive industry (windows, TV sales) to bail them out if they bomb like the other two companies do. Because of that fact, I think the only fair way to compare the three of them is based on profits for their gaming divisions and Nintendo easily wins that battle.

Ok. Profits is logical. Just saying gamers chose the newcomer over Nintendo, despite what you said. Not completely one sided. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Ka-pi96 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

1.Nintendo must accept their proposal first, which is never.

2.Even if Nintendo agree, Japan law will prevent MS from doing that.

It's impossible, unless you can order the Japan goverment to change their law.

What law exactly?

I've heard it's difficult, but never impossible. Plus having publicly traded companies that can't be bought by the public sounds a bit much. So yeah, which law exactly?

Japanese Gov is notoriously unwelcoming toward foreign entities owning anything japanese and corporate.

Wman1996 said:

Classic Nintendo arrogance. There haughtiness is even more pathetic when you realize...

The Nintendo 64 underperformed
The GameCube was their worst-selling home console to date, and apparently barely broke even.
The Wii U tanked and the 3DS sold only about half of the units of the DS and even fell short of the GBA. All this after the titanic double threat of the DS and Wii.

Nintendo would laugh even if their hardware was failing and the same proposition was made. As long as they have billions in the banks and keep their executives rich, that's all that matters to them. I don't think Nintendo will be bought out. I just think they'll eventually stop making hardware in the 2030s or 2040s and move over to PCs and smart devices.

Where are NES,SNES,GB,GBA,Switch?

Also, PS3 + PSP > PS4 + Vita, your point now?

Cerebralbore101 said:
Dulfite said:

A decade later, the former chief Xbox officer revisits his critical decisions | VentureBeat

"Microsoft lost $5 billion to $7 billion on the original Xbox, launched in 2001."

Nintendo, Gamecube and profit. - System Wars - GameSpot

"With the exception of the small period of time when Nintendo cut the price to $99, Nintendo sold the Gamecube with profit on every unit. Sony did not do the same with the PS2."

Nintendo vary much had the "last laugh" that generation, and the next one, and the next one.

Profit should be what we are tracking here, not operating income. Just saying.

sales2099 said:
Dulfite said:

Ok. Profits is logical. Just saying gamers chose the newcomer over Nintendo, despite what you said. Not completely one sided. 

True, but one of the ramifications of my point is I'm sure many gamers chose the Xbox because it was priced at a loss. If it was priced at a profit like the GameCube was, it is a certainty it would have sold less than it did, perhaps even less than the GameCube. 

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
sales2099 said:

True, but one of the ramifications of my point is I'm sure many gamers chose the Xbox because it was priced at a loss. If it was priced at a profit like the GameCube was, it is a certainty it would have sold less than it did, perhaps even less than the GameCube. 

I would not say many gamers. Xbox barely sold more than GC and I remember a part of that Xbox audience were SEGA fans flocking over from Dreamcast. They were not a fan of Sony and esp did not like Nintendo. Xbox was a blank slate and had sp,e SEGA exclusives.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering Nissan, Mitsubishi and several other major Japanese companies were "merged" (bought) by oversea companies and Sony had massive share holders outside of Japan I doubt there is any law that would prevent Nintendo from selling if they wanted, I would guess MS lawyers would know the law. And if such a law existed then MS wouldn't even be able to open a company over there as they do or open a studio there as they intend.

Yeah, I assumed they were just spouting bullshit. Pretty sure I've actually called them out on that before and they refused to answer that time too.

Somebody posted something about Japan tightening laws on foreign ownership earlier, but that's literally just a law that requires vetting before the purchase can go through to protect national security. ie. no selling to suspicious Chinese companies. It certainly isn't a "no foreigners allowed" law.

I believe I read about a law that protects Japanese companies from hostile takeovers but if Ninty wanted it to happen, I don't think japan would stop it. The laws I know about are against what was about to happen to Ubisoft before it stopped.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah, I assumed they were just spouting bullshit. Pretty sure I've actually called them out on that before and they refused to answer that time too.

Somebody posted something about Japan tightening laws on foreign ownership earlier, but that's literally just a law that requires vetting before the purchase can go through to protect national security. ie. no selling to suspicious Chinese companies. It certainly isn't a "no foreigners allowed" law.

I believe I read about a law that protects Japanese companies from hostile takeovers but if Ninty wanted it to happen, I don't think japan would stop it. The laws I know about are against what was about to happen to Ubisoft before it stopped.

Japan has corporate protections against "predatory conduct" to prevent large zaibatsus and keiretsus from taking over smaller businesses against their will and these apply to foreign conglomerates as well, but that's it. 

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering Nissan, Mitsubishi and several other major Japanese companies were "merged" (bought) by oversea companies and Sony had massive share holders outside of Japan I doubt there is any law that would prevent Nintendo from selling if they wanted, I would guess MS lawyers would know the law. And if such a law existed then MS wouldn't even be able to open a company over there as they do or open a studio there as they intend.

I now I have heard and perhaps even seem things against hostile takeover not being something outsiders can do in Japan. But haven't seem laws forbidding to buy in mutual agreement.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The_Liquid_Laser said:

This story makes me laugh my ass off. It gets better when you read the details. "We (Microsoft) will handle the hardware and you (Nintendo) make the software." LOL, I would rather buy hardware from Nintendo every single time. RROD anyone?

Microsoft had nothing to offer Nintendo except an unrealistically inflated ego.

I dunno about that. Remember the WiiU or Virtual Boy? I mean anyone can pull 1 bad system out of the history books of a company. Also the 360 was a great console.

I am glad that Nintendo isn't owned by any one. Nintendo are such a great company.