By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo "laughed their assess off" when Microsoft tried to acquire the company in 2000

Azzanation said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This story makes me laugh my ass off. It gets better when you read the details. "We (Microsoft) will handle the hardware and you (Nintendo) make the software." LOL, I would rather buy hardware from Nintendo every single time. RROD anyone?

Microsoft had nothing to offer Nintendo except an unrealistically inflated ego.

I dunno about that. Remember the WiiU or Virtual Boy? I mean anyone can pull 1 bad system out of the history books of a company. Also the 360 was a great console.

I am glad that Nintendo isn't owned by any one. Nintendo are such a great company.

I have no idea what you just said.  "Anyone can pull 1 bad system...."  Do you think the 360 was a bad system or a great one?  Does this mean all other Xboxes where better than the 360?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Azzanation said:

I dunno about that. Remember the WiiU or Virtual Boy? I mean anyone can pull 1 bad system out of the history books of a company. Also the 360 was a great console.

I am glad that Nintendo isn't owned by any one. Nintendo are such a great company.

I have no idea what you just said.  "Anyone can pull 1 bad system...."  Do you think the 360 was a bad system or a great one?  Does this mean all other Xboxes where better than the 360?

It means, i can find a bad product or a troubled product from almost any brand and stat they make mistakes. They all do it.

My term bad is how you used the 360 in a bad or negative way over a temporary issue. However i personally felt the 360 is a great console. RROD has been none existent with all Xboxes except the launch 360s.

Azzanation said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It means, i can find a bad product or a troubled product from almost any brand and stat they make mistakes. They all do it.

My term bad is how you used the 360 in a bad or negative way over a temporary issue. However i personally felt the 360 is a great console. RROD has been none existent with all Xboxes except the launch 360s.

Nintendo has never made poor quality hardware.  Even on their systems that sold poorly, their hardware is built to last.  There are a lot of NES systems out there that still function just fine today.

Contrast this with the 360.  RROD lasted for years.  It wasn't a small issue.  I was present when a friend's console got the RROD.  This stuff was happened all the time.  If you were a gamer in the US then you either had a 360 with the RROD or knew someone who did.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Ka-pi96 said:

What law exactly?

I've heard it's difficult, but never impossible. Plus having publicly traded companies that can't be bought by the public sounds a bit much. So yeah, which law exactly?

Japanese Gov is notoriously unwelcoming toward foreign entities owning anything japanese and corporate.

Wman1996 said:

Classic Nintendo arrogance. There haughtiness is even more pathetic when you realize...

The Nintendo 64 underperformed
The GameCube was their worst-selling home console to date, and apparently barely broke even.
The Wii U tanked and the 3DS sold only about half of the units of the DS and even fell short of the GBA. All this after the titanic double threat of the DS and Wii.

Nintendo would laugh even if their hardware was failing and the same proposition was made. As long as they have billions in the banks and keep their executives rich, that's all that matters to them. I don't think Nintendo will be bought out. I just think they'll eventually stop making hardware in the 2030s or 2040s and move over to PCs and smart devices.

Where are NES,SNES,GB,GBA,Switch?

Also, PS3 + PSP > PS4 + Vita, your point now?

Cerebralbore101 said:

Profit should be what we are tracking here, not operating income. Just saying.

Xbox is about to bleed even more money, thanks to the Shitshow that is Game Pass & Xbox all access.

like its too big to fail at this point, and I honestly dont know how much they paid all these 3rd parties to bring their games for a service that costs 1$ for 3 Months !!!!

Last edited by B6a6es - on 08 January 2021

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Azzanation said:

Nintendo has never made poor quality hardware.  Even on their systems that sold poorly, their hardware is built to last.  There are a lot of NES systems out there that still function just fine today.

Contrast this with the 360.  RROD lasted for years.  It wasn't a small issue.  I was present when a friend's console got the RROD.  This stuff was happened all the time.  If you were a gamer in the US then you either had a 360 with the RROD or knew someone who did.

Id agree, Nintendo make good quality products and have a good track record. I own all Nintendo systems and they all work except the SNES as its CPU failed but the console was abused over the many years of my child hood. My NES still works to this day.

I never had the RROD, mainly due to me buying the 360 late in its life when the Slim model was out. In saying that, the other Xboxes are built really well. If you watch people dismantled them, especially the XB1X and Series X, they are engineering feats. 

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Id agree, Nintendo make good quality products and have a good track record. I own all Nintendo systems and they all work except the SNES as its CPU failed but the console was abused over the many years of my child hood. My NES still works to this day.

I never had the RROD, mainly due to me buying the 360 late in its life when the Slim model was out. In saying that, the other Xboxes are built really well. If you watch people dismantled them, especially the XB1X and Series X, they are engineering feats. 

I like the XBox's, but I have personally experienced issues with all 3 previous generations.  On my Original XBox, the power button stopped working after a few years.  I Googled it years ago and found numerous instances of other original XBox owners experiencing the same exact issue.  As for the 360, my brother and I both experienced the RROD on our consoles, along with friends and co-workers.  It's well known how widespread that issue was.  I do agree that the Slim was a much better built system though.  I upgraded to the Slim when it released in 2010 and it still runs today.  However, I got an XBox One in 2014, and a couple of years later, like the original XBox, it stopped powering up.  This appeared to be an issue related directly to the power supply that came with the system.  After doing some more Googling, I saw other people experiencing the same issue.  And, I found what appears to be an entire "cottage industry" on Amazon of sellers offering 3rd Party power bricks as replacements.  The power issues with the original XBox and XBox One might not have been anywhere near as widespread an issue as the RROD.  But, in the XBox One's case especially, it was common enough that there are over 100 listings for 3rd party XBox One power bricks on Amazon.  They are obviously a popular item, because many of the sellers have over 2,000 ratings each, and a couple of them have close to 10,000 ratings.  And that's just from the people who actually post a rating after they buy.  As I said, I had to buy one for my own console, and it does indeed work again now.

So, while I do like the games in the XBox ecosystem (Gears, Halo, Fable), I can honestly say that I have been burned by their hardware in 3 consecutive generations.  I do think they have the worst track record for making reliable hardware among the big 3, and that's coming from someone who has continued to buy their hardware and software over the years.

Dulfite said:
sales2099 said:

Ok. Profits is logical. Just saying gamers chose the newcomer over Nintendo, despite what you said. Not completely one sided. 

True, but one of the ramifications of my point is I'm sure many gamers chose the Xbox because it was priced at a loss. If it was priced at a profit like the GameCube was, it is a certainty it would have sold less than it did, perhaps even less than the GameCube. 

See I just realized something. This criteria isn’t universal. Like most people will look at Ps3 and 360 and say the PS3 won out in the end right? But going by your criteria 360 was considerably more profitable. I wish I could apply your standard elsewhere but thing is people have their own criteria. Point being many of us see through the lens of the gamer and not that if the business.  

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Dulfite said:

True, but one of the ramifications of my point is I'm sure many gamers chose the Xbox because it was priced at a loss. If it was priced at a profit like the GameCube was, it is a certainty it would have sold less than it did, perhaps even less than the GameCube. 

See I just realized something. This criteria isn’t universal. Like most people will look at Ps3 and 360 and say the PS3 won out in the end right? But going by your criteria 360 was considerably more profitable. I wish I could apply your standard elsewhere but thing is people have their own criteria. Point being many of us see through the lens of the gamer and not that if the business.  

Seeing through the lens of a gamer is valid, nothing wrong with that! But these are businesses and at the end of the day the only thing any mega corporation really cares about is $$$ and having more of it in the bank than you did when you started a venture.

sales2099 said:
Dulfite said:

I have to point out here that the gap between the PS3 and 360 is not that significant (2m) to the point that it changes views through the eyes of a gamer as you put it, through out that whole gen 360 through a gamers point of view was the better platform especially with its breaking of Sony's hold on third parties, exclusive deals, competent first party to compliment the library and the evolution of live, even the gap between the GC and Xbox is not that significant either (3m). Compare this to like the SNES and MD where the is a significant 20m gap where you can apply that argument to.

Ka-pi96 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Japanese Gov is notoriously unwelcoming toward foreign entities owning anything japanese and corporate.

That's not a law. Not wanting something to happen and not allowing it to happen are two entirely different things. There are already Japanese companies owned by foreigners, some even with a majority of shares owned by foreigners. So unless you can provide clear evidence that they not only have the power to prevent any/all foreign ownership but also that they can and have used that power in the past at every single opportunity with 100% success then your claim that it can't happen due to Japanese laws is blatantly false.

JP Government are against hostile takeover, Nintendo also never agree to this deal, MS stand no chance.