By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo "laughed their assess off" when Microsoft tried to acquire the company in 2000

I much prefer Nintendo doing their own business.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

1.Nintendo must accept their proposal first, which is never.

2.Even if Nintendo agree, Japan law will prevent MS from doing that.

It's impossible, unless you can order the Japan goverment to change their law.

What law exactly?

I've heard it's difficult, but never impossible. Plus having publicly traded companies that can't be bought by the public sounds a bit much. So yeah, which law exactly?

Considering Nissan, Mitsubishi and several other major Japanese companies were "merged" (bought) by oversea companies and Sony had massive share holders outside of Japan I doubt there is any law that would prevent Nintendo from selling if they wanted, I would guess MS lawyers would know the law. And if such a law existed then MS wouldn't even be able to open a company over there as they do or open a studio there as they intend.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Cerebralbore101 said:
Dulfite said:

A decade later, the former chief Xbox officer revisits his critical decisions | VentureBeat

"Microsoft lost $5 billion to $7 billion on the original Xbox, launched in 2001."

Nintendo, Gamecube and profit. - System Wars - GameSpot

"With the exception of the small period of time when Nintendo cut the price to $99, Nintendo sold the Gamecube with profit on every unit. Sony did not do the same with the PS2."

Nintendo vary much had the "last laugh" that generation, and the next one, and the next one.

Profit should be what we are tracking here, not operating income. Just saying.

I would say the biggest issue on this is mixing console and handheld and probably also SW. Don't remember neither company really talking specifically about profit or loss on HW sum per year. Worse yet this graph is also cumulative.

I would sau

Cerebralbore101 said:
Dulfite said:

A decade later, the former chief Xbox officer revisits his critical decisions | VentureBeat

"Microsoft lost $5 billion to $7 billion on the original Xbox, launched in 2001."

"With the exception of the small period of time when Nintendo cut the price to $99, Nintendo sold the Gamecube with profit on every unit. Sony did not do the same with the PS2."

Nintendo vary much had the "last laugh" that generation, and the next one, and the next one.

Profit should be what we are tracking here, not operating income. Just saying.

Microsoft's is "lost" which means despite operating income they lost that much money on the first Xbox. Nintendo's is clearly profit. As to the chart, I don't know 100% what that is (on my phone at the moment) but Nintendo has been good on profit for decades looking at past data.

COKTOE said:
Leynos said:

SEGA should still be making consoles instead of them TBH. They filled in where SEGA left and feel they never lived up to the greatness of SEGA. I think they tried to buy SEGA as well. Actually tbh. SEGA tried to court Sony into making the hardware for Saturn. It didn't work out but since MS made the OS for Dreamcast being based on Windows CE. Should have just let MS make the hardware in a licensing deal with the SEGA branding on the box with SEGA's first-party games. That would have been the best outcome. SEGANet might have taken off like XBL. EA might have been on board. Zone of the Enders would be on it instead of PS2 (ZOE was originally in development for DC) ..man but looking at the world and the gaming industry the shit shape it's in. We live in the darkest timeline.

It was in the machine, and the logo was on the console, but it wasn't the OS. Only around 11-12% of all Dreamcast games used it, and it was inferior to Sega's own proprietary OS. If you look at the games that used it, it's a small, unimpressive list, aside from the 4 Hello Kitty games.

That's because a complain by third parties was that the Saturn was hard to develop for. Sega took measures to make the Dreamcast easier to program and one of those was getting Microsoft to port windows ce to it for any developer that found that easier. It was just another option to make it easier on developers it wasn't required.

Around the Network

Xbox wasn't out or popular when this happened and Nintendo didn't think the GC would flop. Of course they laughed at them. They made computers, not game consoles.

This is like the "Musk offered to sell off to Apple" article.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was true, pretty laughable to even think MS could buy out Nintendo without a few raised eyebrows from execs from Nintendo.

Reminds me when Apple bought out Beats. Except, Beats went through with it and Apple trashed them from within - gutting them out in the process. When you can't beat them, try to buy them out xD

Wman1996 said:

Classic Nintendo arrogance. There haughtiness is even more pathetic when you realize...

The Nintendo 64 underperformed
The GameCube was their worst-selling home console to date, and apparently barely broke even.
The Wii U tanked and the 3DS sold only about half of the units of the DS and even fell short of the GBA. All this after the titanic double threat of the DS and Wii.

Nintendo would laugh even if their hardware was failing and the same proposition was made. As long as they have billions in the banks and keep their executives rich, that's all that matters to them. I don't think Nintendo will be bought out. I just think they'll eventually stop making hardware in the 2030s or 2040s and move over to PCs and smart devices.

You conveniently leave out their successes; NES, SNES, Gameboy, GBA, DS, Wii, Switch. There's a reason Nintendo have survived far longer than any other console manufacturer and are still going strong after nearly 40 years.

Their pride in themselves is well earned.

Dulfite said:
sales2099 said:

Well I’d say MS got the last laugh that gen as the original Xbox outsold the GameCube. Speaking as someone here who only had a GameCube back in the day.

MS being a far richer company makes this not really matter. Point being gamers played Xbox more then the GameCube. Again speaking as a sole GameCube owner of that gen. No disrespect intended. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Wman1996 said:

Classic Nintendo arrogance. There haughtiness is even more pathetic when you realize...

The Nintendo 64 underperformed
The GameCube was their worst-selling home console to date, and apparently barely broke even.
The Wii U tanked and the 3DS sold only about half of the units of the DS and even fell short of the GBA. All this after the titanic double threat of the DS and Wii.

Nintendo would laugh even if their hardware was failing and the same proposition was made. As long as they have billions in the banks and keep their executives rich, that's all that matters to them. I don't think Nintendo will be bought out. I just think they'll eventually stop making hardware in the 2030s or 2040s and move over to PCs and smart devices.

So much wrong in this post. First, you leave out their successes. Also, Gamecube made a lot of profit. It didn't sell a lot but it made a good profit every single year it was on sale.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!