By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo "laughed their assess off" when Microsoft tried to acquire the company in 2000

Funny thing is, had Yamauchi not laughed at Microsoft, I'd probably wouldn't be gaming much anymore. At least not on console.

Around the Network

Even leaving aside the question of whether Nintendo would've retained their brilliance in software under MS management, the thought of not getting to play games like Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Skyward Sword, Sin & Punishment 2, Splatoon 1 & 2, BOTW, Doom 2016/Eternal, etc with motion/IR controls seems a terrible loss, not to mention just how much less interesting the industry would be to watch and discuss if it was just Xbox and Playstation and none of Nintendo's creative wildcards.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Azzanation said:

It means, i can find a bad product or a troubled product from almost any brand and stat they make mistakes. They all do it.

My term bad is how you used the 360 in a bad or negative way over a temporary issue. However i personally felt the 360 is a great console. RROD has been none existent with all Xboxes except the launch 360s.

Nintendo has never made poor quality hardware.  Even on their systems that sold poorly, their hardware is built to last.  There are a lot of NES systems out there that still function just fine today.

Contrast this with the 360.  RROD lasted for years.  It wasn't a small issue.  I was present when a friend's console got the RROD.  This stuff was happened all the time.  If you were a gamer in the US then you either had a 360 with the RROD or knew someone who did.

How would you rate the build quality of the Switch and Switch Lite as it concerns the joy-cons? It doesn't look particularly good.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Bayonetta never would have gotten a sequel. Xenoblade series would not exist. A lot of games they published never would have happened. I don't think BOTW would be what it is. MS likes their games samey. Gears have barely changed at all. Forza barely changed. Halo has but not for the better. What likely would have happened under MS. MS just has a history of poorly managing studios. They still manage them poorly.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

COKTOE said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Nintendo has never made poor quality hardware.  Even on their systems that sold poorly, their hardware is built to last.  There are a lot of NES systems out there that still function just fine today.

Contrast this with the 360.  RROD lasted for years.  It wasn't a small issue.  I was present when a friend's console got the RROD.  This stuff was happened all the time.  If you were a gamer in the US then you either had a 360 with the RROD or knew someone who did.

How would you rate the build quality of the Switch and Switch Lite as it concerns the joy-cons? It doesn't look particularly good.

a) The Switch Lite doesn't use joy-cons.

b) Why are you comparing this to the RROD?  The guy I replied to say the RROD was a "small issue".  I say it wasn't.  Now you seen to be equating an out of alignment analogue stick with an entire system that breaks down.  Severity does matter.  A broken console is a lot more severe than an out of alignment analogue stick.  Wouldn't you agree?

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:

I like the XBox's, but I have personally experienced issues with all 3 previous generations.  On my Original XBox, the power button stopped working after a few years.  I Googled it years ago and found numerous instances of other original XBox owners experiencing the same exact issue.  As for the 360, my brother and I both experienced the RROD on our consoles, along with friends and co-workers.  It's well known how widespread that issue was.  I do agree that the Slim was a much better built system though.  I upgraded to the Slim when it released in 2010 and it still runs today.  However, I got an XBox One in 2014, and a couple of years later, like the original XBox, it stopped powering up.  This appeared to be an issue related directly to the power supply that came with the system.  After doing some more Googling, I saw other people experiencing the same issue.  And, I found what appears to be an entire "cottage industry" on Amazon of sellers offering 3rd Party power bricks as replacements.  The power issues with the original XBox and XBox One might not have been anywhere near as widespread an issue as the RROD.  But, in the XBox One's case especially, it was common enough that there are over 100 listings for 3rd party XBox One power bricks on Amazon.  They are obviously a popular item, because many of the sellers have over 2,000 ratings each, and a couple of them have close to 10,000 ratings.  And that's just from the people who actually post a rating after they buy.  As I said, I had to buy one for my own console, and it does indeed work again now.

So, while I do like the games in the XBox ecosystem (Gears, Halo, Fable), I can honestly say that I have been burned by their hardware in 3 consecutive generations.  I do think they have the worst track record for making reliable hardware among the big 3, and that's coming from someone who has continued to buy their hardware and software over the years.

Fair points, i cant honestly relate as i have had no issues with my launch XB1 and i believe the issues have ironed out with the S/X and Series S/X. My sister also owns a day one OG Xbox which still works like new today. In saying that, you could probably find issues with all consoles weather its hardware or software issues similar to the power brick failures.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
COKTOE said:

b) Why are you comparing this to the RROD?  The guy I replied to say the RROD was a "small issue".  I say it wasn't.  Now you seen to be equating an out of alignment analogue stick with an entire system that breaks down.  Severity does matter.  A broken console is a lot more severe than an out of alignment analogue stick.  Wouldn't you agree?

I own a Switch, i think its a great console, however the Joy Con issue is not a small issue either, its a wide spread manufacturing issue which shouldn't be ignored. Its a build quality issue so to say one company has build quality issues because one system had an issue that has never reoccurred again and than to claim that the Joy Cons is a small issue is basically picking and choosing. Its still an issue. Nintendo have never had analog stick problems before the Switch (From my knowledge) just like Xbox has never had overheating issues since the early 360 days.

Also I am not saying RROD is a small issue, if so let me re word it. Its small as in its only ever happened once with one console type in the history of the brand. To judge a brand based on "This one time" isn't a fair judgement as its been completely addressed not only with the 360 but also in all future Xbox systems. 

But i will agree RROD affected Xbox more than any other console brand as it cost MS $1.6b to fix. Which they did. If you can find issues with the S/X and Series Consoles, that would be more valuable information since the company has changed a lot since gen 7.

Azzanation said:
Mandalore76 said:

I like the XBox's, but I have personally experienced issues with all 3 previous generations.  On my Original XBox, the power button stopped working after a few years.  I Googled it years ago and found numerous instances of other original XBox owners experiencing the same exact issue.  As for the 360, my brother and I both experienced the RROD on our consoles, along with friends and co-workers.  It's well known how widespread that issue was.  I do agree that the Slim was a much better built system though.  I upgraded to the Slim when it released in 2010 and it still runs today.  However, I got an XBox One in 2014, and a couple of years later, like the original XBox, it stopped powering up.  This appeared to be an issue related directly to the power supply that came with the system.  After doing some more Googling, I saw other people experiencing the same issue.  And, I found what appears to be an entire "cottage industry" on Amazon of sellers offering 3rd Party power bricks as replacements.  The power issues with the original XBox and XBox One might not have been anywhere near as widespread an issue as the RROD.  But, in the XBox One's case especially, it was common enough that there are over 100 listings for 3rd party XBox One power bricks on Amazon.  They are obviously a popular item, because many of the sellers have over 2,000 ratings each, and a couple of them have close to 10,000 ratings.  And that's just from the people who actually post a rating after they buy.  As I said, I had to buy one for my own console, and it does indeed work again now.

So, while I do like the games in the XBox ecosystem (Gears, Halo, Fable), I can honestly say that I have been burned by their hardware in 3 consecutive generations.  I do think they have the worst track record for making reliable hardware among the big 3, and that's coming from someone who has continued to buy their hardware and software over the years.

Fair points, i cant honestly relate as i have had no issues with my launch XB1 and i believe the issues have ironed out with the S/X and Series S/X. My sister also owns a day one OG Xbox which still works like new today. In saying that, you could probably find issues with all consoles weather its hardware or software issues similar to the power brick failures.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I own a Switch, i think its a great console, however the Joy Con issue is not a small issue either, its a wide spread manufacturing issue which shouldn't be ignored. Its a build quality issue so to say one company has build quality issues because one system had an issue that has never reoccurred again and than to claim that the Joy Cons is a small issue is basically picking and choosing. Its still an issue. Nintendo have never had analog stick problems before the Switch (From my knowledge) just like Xbox has never had overheating issues since the early 360 days.

Also I am not saying RROD is a small issue, if so let me re word it. Its small as in its only ever happened once with one console type in the history of the brand. To judge a brand based on "This one time" isn't a fair judgement as its been completely addressed not only with the 360 but also in all future Xbox systems. 

But i will agree RROD affected Xbox more than any other console brand as it cost MS $1.6b to fix. Which they did. If you can find issues with the S/X and Series Consoles, that would be more valuable information since the company has changed a lot since gen 7.

Your argument sounds like this: "Person A has killed 3 people.  Person B has 3 speeding tickets.  Since both have broken the law, they both deserve life in prison."  Severity matters.  You can't equate two things that have drastically different severity.

To be fair, I am annoyed by Joy-Con drift.  In spite of that, my experiences with Nintendo hardware have been better than my experiences with Sony software (but Sony is still really good), and I haven't owned an XBox yet, because I consider it much worse in quality than either Sony or Nintendo.  A console that breaks down after a couple of years is totally unacceptable.  An analogue stick that is out of alignment is kind of like a car that is out of alignment.  It's annoying, but I can live with it.  I can't live with a console that breaks down after a couple of years.  Those are not even remotely in the same category.

sales2099 said:
Dulfite said:

True, but one of the ramifications of my point is I'm sure many gamers chose the Xbox because it was priced at a loss. If it was priced at a profit like the GameCube was, it is a certainty it would have sold less than it did, perhaps even less than the GameCube. 

See I just realized something. This criteria isn’t universal. Like most people will look at Ps3 and 360 and say the PS3 won out in the end right? But going by your criteria 360 was considerably more profitable. I wish I could apply your standard elsewhere but thing is people have their own criteria. Point being many of us see through the lens of the gamer and not that if the business.  

The criteria also fails to take into account the next gen started while the X360 was still in the lead, so people going by the "it sold more in the end" metric are not taking gens into account... or the fact the 360 went out of the spotlight earlier by MSFTs own deeds. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Your argument sounds like this: "Person A has killed 3 people.  Person B has 3 speeding tickets.  Since both have broken the law, they both deserve life in prison."  Severity matters.  You can't equate two things that have drastically different severity.

To be fair, I am annoyed by Joy-Con drift.  In spite of that, my experiences with Nintendo hardware have been better than my experiences with Sony software (but Sony is still really good), and I haven't owned an XBox yet, because I consider it much worse in quality than either Sony or Nintendo.  A console that breaks down after a couple of years is totally unacceptable.  An analogue stick that is out of alignment is kind of like a car that is out of alignment.  It's annoying, but I can live with it.  I can't live with a console that breaks down after a couple of years.  Those are not even remotely in the same category.

I agreed that the difference in severity is night and day, however its still an issue which all platform holders have. RROD was a thing in the past. Its like you saying, you would never jump on a brand new Cruise Ship because it was made by the same brand who made the Titanic 100 years ago. 

Also keep in mind, Xbox create extremely powerful systems compared to modern Nintendo systems. Basically saying, Xbox build race cars while Nintendo build Eco friendly cars. Of course more things will go wrong when you have to push the limits of power. In saying that, RROD has been absent for over a decade, its none existent now. They have made 7 more consoles since the RROD machines and this issue has never occurred again, in saying that, Xboxes now have some of the best cooling methods in the industry today.

Imagine if i said, i would never buy a Nintendo console because SNES had CPU failures or i would never buy a PS because PS1s had disk tray problems. It was in the past and its not even close to the same company anymore. Like i said, i love Nintendo, i own everything they make and i agree, they are extremely reliable however they are not perfect and comparing Xboxes to Nintendo systems is comparing apples to oranges and are on different sides of the spectrum. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 09 January 2021

The_Liquid_Laser said:
COKTOE said:

a) Ah, yes, the Switch Lite doesn't use joy-cons. I know this. Don't know why I phrased things so poorly.

b) You said Nintendo has never made poor quality hardware. I made a point to bold it, and then ask you how you would rate the Switch's build quality. Why am I comparing it to RROD?  You were the one doing that. Where did you see me doing it?

- "The guy I replied to say the RROD was a "small issue".  I say it wasn't" - Yes RROD was bad, very bad, for the time it was a problem. So is the analog stick problem on the Switch. By this point in the 360's life cycle, RROD was solved. The sticks on the Switch? Nah.

- "Now you seen to be equating an out of alignment analogue stick with an entire system that breaks down" - Why don't we do that then? When the analog sticks on the Switch Lite are not working, the system is not working. When the sticks on the joy-cons don't work, the Switch can't be used in portable mode until they are fixed or replaced. This eliminates....yes, let me check my calculations....fully one-half of it's functionality. And according to my research...*looks around*...the portable mode seems kinda popular on the Switch. Yes. Severity matters. Of course it does. You seemingly don't have any problems with the Switch or Switch Lite build quality, which is all I wanted to know. Thank you.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 09 January 2021

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."