By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo "laughed their assess off" when Microsoft tried to acquire the company in 2000

Mandalore76 said:
Wman1996 said:

Classic Nintendo arrogance. There haughtiness is even more pathetic when you realize...

The Nintendo 64 underperformed
The GameCube was their worst-selling home console to date, and apparently barely broke even.
The Wii U tanked and the 3DS sold only about half of the units of the DS and even fell short of the GBA. All this after the titanic double threat of the DS and Wii.

Nintendo would laugh even if their hardware was failing and the same proposition was made. As long as they have billions in the banks and keep their executives rich, that's all that matters to them. I don't think Nintendo will be bought out. I just think they'll eventually stop making hardware in the 2030s or 2040s and move over to PCs and smart devices.

They must be doing something right to have those billions in the bank.  They are the only video game company to have survived in the hardware space continuously since 1983.  Besides the Wii U, Nintendo has always managed to make a profit of their hardware regardless of whether it sells 20 million or 100 million units.  Look at the PS3 which sold over 80 million units, but initially wiped out all of the profit made from the PlayStation and PS2 combined.  Why wouldn't Nintendo be more interested in their bottom line than anything else?

Gamecube also lost Nintendo a lot of money. But Nintendo could still turn a small profit thanks in part to the booming handheld business from Gameboy, GBA, GBA SP, and DS during that time.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
COKTOE said:

a) Ah, yes, the Switch Lite doesn't use joy-cons. I know this. Don't know why I phrased things so poorly.

b) You said Nintendo has never made poor quality hardware. I made a point to bold it, and then ask you how you would rate the Switch's build quality. Why am I comparing it to RROD?  You were the one doing that. Where did you see me doing it?

- "The guy I replied to say the RROD was a "small issue".  I say it wasn't" - Yes RROD was bad, very bad, for the time it was a problem. So is the analog stick problem on the Switch. By this point in the 360's life cycle, RROD was solved. The sticks on the Switch? Nah.

- "Now you seen to be equating an out of alignment analogue stick with an entire system that breaks down" - Why don't we do that then? When the analog sticks on the Switch Lite are not working, the system is not working. When the sticks on the joy-cons don't work, the Switch can't be used in portable mode until they are fixed or replaced. This eliminates....yes, let me check my calculations....fully one-half of it's functionality. And according to my research...*looks around*...the portable mode seems kinda popular on the Switch. Yes. Severity matters. Of course it does. You seemingly don't have any problems with the Switch or Switch Lite build quality, which is all I wanted to know. Thank you.

"You said Nintendo has never made poor quality hardware."
I should have clarified that I meant the system itself.

"When the sticks on the joy-cons don't work, the Switch can't be used in portable mode until they are fixed or replaced."
This is untrue.  I have a pair of joy-cons that drift.  I've used them plenty of times.  It's definitely irritating, but they still technically work.  It's a lot like driving a car that is out of alignment.  I can get from point A to point B with my car out of alignment, but it's irritating.  I'd rather my car not have that issue, but it still works.  Joy-Con drift is the same type of issue.

Why would you play games with Joycon drift when you can fix it in 2 minutes with some contact cleaner?

But the other guy is worse, replacing his joycons instead of cleaning them is just ridiculous. That's like the most Baby boomer thing I've ever heard.

Jumpin said:
Mandalore76 said:

They must be doing something right to have those billions in the bank.  They are the only video game company to have survived in the hardware space continuously since 1983.  Besides the Wii U, Nintendo has always managed to make a profit of their hardware regardless of whether it sells 20 million or 100 million units.  Look at the PS3 which sold over 80 million units, but initially wiped out all of the profit made from the PlayStation and PS2 combined.  Why wouldn't Nintendo be more interested in their bottom line than anything else?

Gamecube also lost Nintendo a lot of money. But Nintendo could still turn a small profit thanks in part to the booming handheld business from Gameboy, GBA, GBA SP, and DS during that time.

Gamecube made profit.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Jumpin said:

Gamecube made profit.

No it didn't. If Gamecube made a profit, Nintendo would have made significantly more money than it did. The home console business cut heavily into the profits turned by the handheld division.

Jumpin said:
Leynos said:

Gamecube made profit.

No it didn't. If Gamecube made a profit, Nintendo would have made significantly more money than it did. The home console business cut heavily into the profits turned by the handheld division.

Yes it did. Been proven time and time again. They originally planned to extend its life than make a successor. Then again a Wii is a Gamecube. So mission accomplished.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Jumpin said:

Yes it did. Been proven time and time again. They originally planned to extend its life than make a successor. Then again a Wii is a Gamecube. So mission accomplished.

Saying the Wii is a Gamecube is a silly argument. Where's your real proof?

GProgrammer said:
sethnintendo said:

Japanese government would step in and prevent any takeover of their most prized company.

wait when did nintendo become the japanese governments most prized company

When they featured Mario in the china olympics to next passing over.  I believe Mario came out of a pipe.   What else does japan have?   Cars?  Sure I love Hondas and have 2019 Civic Si but Nintendo is one of top Japanese companies.   Mario is about as recognized as Ronald McDonald.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 10 January 2021

Metallox said:
Leynos said:

Bayonetta never would have gotten a sequel. Xenoblade series would not exist. A lot of games they published never would have happened. I don't think BOTW would be what it is. MS likes their games samey. Gears have barely changed at all. Forza barely changed. Halo has but not for the better. What likely would have happened under MS. MS just has a history of poorly managing studios. They still manage them poorly.

Gears games have substantially changed, bud, and for the worse. 

Your Melia avatar would have never been existed if MS really got Nin at that time, you know.

Jumpin said:
Mandalore76 said:

Jumpin said:
Leynos said:

Gamecube made profit.

Bold 1 & 2: GC helped Nin making more profit than Sony in 6th gen.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold 1 & 2: GC helped Nin making more profit than Sony in 6th gen.

Those numbers always confuse me. How did Sony manage to earn less money than Nintendo when the PS2 sold more than the GBA and the GC combined by so much? Hell, it's not even a small margin, between 2004 and 2006 there's a significant difference in profits. I get that Nintendo's 1st party titles sell really well and are very profitable, but by that much?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

This story makes me laugh my ass off. It gets better when you read the details. "We (Microsoft) will handle the hardware and you (Nintendo) make the software." LOL, I would rather buy hardware from Nintendo every single time. RROD anyone?

Microsoft had nothing to offer Nintendo except an unrealistically inflated ego.

And as much unrealistically, MS thinks it could become again bigger than Apple and as much control freak on users keeping on being as sloppy as it is, because the bloody specifications mess it uses to keep monopoly on PC OS and office suite can't be defined anything else than sloppy, lazy and cowardly (luckily at least OS monopoly has been broken by marginalization of PC outside of office and power gaming market and the rise amongst casual users of mobile market with the Apple-Android duopoly).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!