By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Acquire Next Level Games

As much as I would love to see Nintendo buy Platinum (and give them a kick in the arse to stop fucking around and actually make Bayonetta 3) I can't see it happening as they seem pretty insistent on being free to hop into bed with multiple parties. (Nintendo, Square, Sega, MS, Activision, and Cygames, and Konami all at various points)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 January 2021

Around the Network

RIP Alphadream though, thats another company nintendo should have bought...

TheBraveGallade said:

They doomed themselves with focusing too much on ports of old games in the waning years of the 3DS (when people weren't buying as many games for it). I hope M&L lives as I love the series, but that was poor management by a company that should have been focused on new content for 3DS and Switch.

DonFerrari said:
Nautilus said:

Yes. They are actively trying to become a publisher now, with buying back Wonderful 101 from Nintendo and publishing themselves and that GAAS game about giant robots being their first Big Games as a publisher.

So, as of now, Platinum is a big no no for acquisition from anyone, really.

Or they going publisher route could backfire on them and make they in need for cash and make opening to be bought by nintendo.

This is what I'm thinking. They haven't had a lot of successes outside of Nier. Definitely not to sustain self publishing. I think they'll realize how much it cost to make a game without a publisher and still market it.

TheBraveGallade said:

The problem with Alpha Dream is they had a lot of outstanding debt, so Nintendo would have had to pay that off to get them. Their only claim to fame was a Mario spin off that wasn't doing too well. Nintendo did post job ads soon after, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to poach the talent at least. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Eagle367 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

hey I was gonna say they should get platinum next ;_;

Spoiler!
/s
Spoiler!
maybe

I would love Platinum to be under the Ninty banner and I'm not joking. I want Ninty to lock them in for games like Bayonetta and Astral Chain. Maybe even something like Scalebound down the line.

PG doesn't own Bayonetta. SEGA does. Scalebound while originally developed as a Wii game, is a Microsoft-owned IP now.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Eagle367 said:

I would love Platinum to be under the Ninty banner and I'm not joking. I want Ninty to lock them in for games like Bayonetta and Astral Chain. Maybe even something like Scalebound down the line.

PG doesn't own Bayonetta. SEGA does. Scalebound while originally developed as a Wii game, is a Microsoft-owned IP now.

I said something like Scalebound, not Scalebound itself. And regarding Bayonetta, Sega is content with letting Platinum do the work for them so I don't think that partnership between Sega, Nintendo and Platinum will be jeopardized. Plus Nintendo could always offer to buy Bayonetta off of Sega.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

VideoGameAccountant said:
DonFerrari said:

Or they going publisher route could backfire on them and make they in need for cash and make opening to be bought by nintendo.

This is what I'm thinking. They haven't had a lot of successes outside of Nier. Definitely not to sustain self publishing. I think they'll realize how much it cost to make a game without a publisher and still market it.

TheBraveGallade said:

The problem with Alpha Dream is they had a lot of outstanding debt, so Nintendo would have had to pay that off to get them. Their only claim to fame was a Mario spin off that wasn't doing too well. Nintendo did post job ads soon after, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to poach the talent at least. 

yeah letting them bankrupt and hiring all the people and maybe making a new team might be the better option

Thank you! You’re a star!

VideoGameAccountant said:
DonFerrari said:

TheBraveGallade said:

Don't think it would be impossible for Nintendo to buy the company for 0 dollars but freeing the current owners of all debt, but since I didn't look at the numbers even that may be to much money to be worth.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Eagle367 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

hey I was gonna say they should get platinum next ;_;

Spoiler!
/s
Spoiler!
maybe

Nintendo already owns the Astral Chain IP in full, so they have to work with them again to get a sequel anyway. (It seems like it was the last Platinum game before they went all in on attempting to self publish everything) Plus given their ongoing partnership with the Bayonetta series, I figure that's a similar situation. I wouldn't mind seeing them bought out in the future either though personally, my favorite games from them have almost all been their Nintendo partnerships.