By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Acquire Next Level Games

DonFerrari said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

This is what I'm thinking. They haven't had a lot of successes outside of Nier. Definitely not to sustain self publishing. I think they'll realize how much it cost to make a game without a publisher and still market it.

TheBraveGallade said:

RIP Alphadream though, thats another company nintendo should have bought...

The problem with Alpha Dream is they had a lot of outstanding debt, so Nintendo would have had to pay that off to get them. Their only claim to fame was a Mario spin off that wasn't doing too well. Nintendo did post job ads soon after, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to poach the talent at least. 

Don't think it would be impossible for Nintendo to buy the company for 0 dollars but freeing the current owners of all debt, but since I didn't look at the numbers even that may be to much money to be worth.

Nintendo would still have to pay their creditors. It wasn't a massive amount of money but it was still quite a lot for not that much gain. 

At the same time, they probably weren't going to keep the Mario and Luigi games going since they were doing poorly after Dream Team. It would make more sense to absorb the employees and put them working on Mario projects (as they are familiar with the IP). 



Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Around the Network
VideoGameAccountant said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't think it would be impossible for Nintendo to buy the company for 0 dollars but freeing the current owners of all debt, but since I didn't look at the numbers even that may be to much money to be worth.

Nintendo would still have to pay their creditors. It wasn't a massive amount of money but it was still quite a lot for not that much gain. 

At the same time, they probably weren't going to keep the Mario and Luigi games going since they were doing poorly after Dream Team. It would make more sense to absorb the employees and put them working on Mario projects (as they are familiar with the IP). 

I do agree. My point was just that sometimes it can be worth to buy a company in debt, you can pay almost nothing to owners and just have to pay debts (and sure that will always depend on how much debt and potential profit in the future there is).



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

These are the guys that make Punch-Out & Luigi's Mansion right?
So they already primarily made nintendo games.

(also the ones behinde metroid federation force)



JRPGfan said:

These are the guys that make Punch-Out & Luigi's Mansion right?
So they already primarily made nintendo games.

(also the ones behinde metroid federation force)

Yep from what was said here those were the 2 main IPs they worked on, and seems like they have only made games for Nintendo for like the past 10 years.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said:

These are the guys that make Punch-Out & Luigi's Mansion right?
So they already primarily made nintendo games.

(also the ones behinde metroid federation force)

For Nintendo they made Luigi's Mansion 2 & 3, Punch Out Wii, Federation Force, (though I more blame Nintendo for that one) and Mario Strikers 1 & 2 for Gamecube and Wii respectively.

They've also made some licensed multiplatform games like NHL Hitz Pro, Spiderman Friend or Foe, and Captain America Super Soldier.

For the last several years they had made only Nintendo games, but now that they own them Nintendo can bring them under their first party umbrella in order to work more closely with them and more effectively share resources, technology, and personnel, as well as ensuring they'll never leave.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 January 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Nintendo will expand them as they have with Monolith.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I saw that Shin'en Multimedia also retweeted someone suggesting they should be acquired next

Doubt it means anything is in the cards, and I don't expect Nintendo to acquire anyone else for another long time, but perhaps means they're at least open to it?

Would be another good studio to add and another that knows how to push the hardware as well 



FloatingWaffles said:

I saw that Shin'en Multimedia also retweeted someone suggesting they should be acquired next

Doubt it means anything is in the cards, and I don't expect Nintendo to acquire anyone else for another long time, but perhaps means they're at least open to it?

Would be another good studio to add and another that knows how to push the hardware as well 

I remember Shinen saying in the past that they preferred to remain independent, but that was several years ago now, during the Wii U era. Perhaps they've changed their minds since then? Their technical expertise would be a huge asset to Nintendo.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

I saw that Shin'en Multimedia also retweeted someone suggesting they should be acquired next

Doubt it means anything is in the cards, and I don't expect Nintendo to acquire anyone else for another long time, but perhaps means they're at least open to it?

Would be another good studio to add and another that knows how to push the hardware as well 

I remember Shinen saying in the past that they preferred to remain independent, but that was several years ago now, during the Wii U era. Perhaps they've changed their minds since then? Their technical expertise would be a huge asset to Nintendo.

Yeah, I also remember them saying they wouldn't want to make an F-Zero game as well years ago, or at least not at that time, so maybe enough time has passed that they've reconsidered?  

I agree though, would be a great studio that could help push the hardware significantly, and especially if they can have full funding behind them and work with the other internal teams. Also helps that I really liked The Touryst so i'd be hyped for anything they made. 



Shin'en is a tiny studio. I think it's less than 10 people. I'd love for Nintendo to have them tho. They are wizards with Nintendo hardware.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!