By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Acquire Next Level Games

Darwinianevolution said:
Leynos said:

I was talking purely from a technical perspective. Jett and Fast Racing on Wii are more impressive considering both the hardware and size limit if only 40MB.

How they fit these in with 40MB is just insane. Just to give perspective even a Neo Geo game on PS1 or Saturn is still over 100MB and that is 2D.

That's an absurdly efficient level of optimization. If companies put half the efford in optimizing like they did, we wouldn't fill multiple terabyte memories with only a handful of games,

Yeah even FAST RMX on Switch is less than a gigabyte.

In both file size and graphics their optimization is godlike, they push the hardware harder than even Nintendo themselves. I'd love to see them work as the tech guys for a first party title, just imagine how good they could make a game like Metroid Prime 4 or Starfox look.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

The Wii games are their biggest success in pulling wizardry. Not just the hardware but they had a size limit of 40MB. I don't even know of a PS1 or Saturn game that small. I think even the early 90s arcade ports on those systems are 100MB at least lol.

Yeah Jett Rocket on 40MB is just insane, and it looks better than almost anything else on the platform and runs at 60fps to boot.

I remember playing the demo of FAST Racing League on Wii and being in utter disbelief that it was a WiiWare game that was less than 40MB. FAST Neo on Wii U is stunning, but the original on WiiWare is just plain black magic.

Nintendo should do 1 or 2 more acquisitions the next few years to further help bolster the software output being 3rd parties will never be fully on board

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:

Nintendo should do 1 or 2 more acquisitions the next few years to further help bolster the software output being 3rd parties will never be fully on board

Agreed wholeheartedly!! I still say buy Shinen Multimedia and finally give us a new F-Zero, then buy whoever is good at making Donkey Kong Country-style platformers and get them to do the next Donkey Kong Country while Retro's making Metroid Prime 4!! ^^

I would love to see them buy Playtonic and get them to make the next Donkey Kong Country.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I would love to see them buy Playtonic and get them to make the next Donkey Kong Country.

That'd work too! ^^ But what if it stops them from making any more Yooka-Laylee games? Unless, of course, Yooka and Laylee end up being Donkey Kong canon characters.

Luigi's Mansion is one of my favorite Nintendo series, even if Nintendo didn't buy them, i just hope they continue to make Luigi's Mansion games.

curl-6 said:

I would hope Microsoft would buy Playtonic or hire them to make future Banjo Kazooie games. 

Retro's DK games are quite good, i think they should continue making them as they now have good experience with the series.

Azzanation said:
curl-6 said:

I would hope Microsoft would buy Playtonic or hire them to make future Banjo Kazooie games. 

Retro's DK games are quite good, i think they should continue making them as they now have good experience with the series.

Well, as a Nintendo fan obviously I'd rather they be under my preferred company's umbrella haha.

Retro can't seem to make a damn thing these days and they're already tasked with Metroid Prime 4.

curl-6 said:
Azzanation said:

Well, as a Nintendo fan obviously I'd rather they be under my preferred company's umbrella haha.

Retro can't seem to make a damn thing these days and they're already tasked with Metroid Prime 4.

It would also make sense to fall under Nintendo however i just don't think Nintendo have anything for them to work on outside DKC. Microsoft house all their IPs and it would be only fitting to see the OG Devs retire making one more Banjo or Conker game. I am wishful thinking here. Either way, it would be a good outcome for Playtonic.