By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Acquire Next Level Games

Azzanation said:
curl-6 said:

Well, as a Nintendo fan obviously I'd rather they be under my preferred company's umbrella haha.

Retro can't seem to make a damn thing these days and they're already tasked with Metroid Prime 4.

It would also make sense to fall under Nintendo however i just don't think Nintendo have anything for them to work on outside DKC. Microsoft house all their IPs and it would be only fitting to see the OG Devs retire making one more Banjo or Conker game. I am wishful thinking here. Either way, it would be a good outcome for Playtonic.

The first Yooka Laylee I thought was decent but uneven, so I'm not super sold on them doing a new Banjo or Conker, but Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair was superb, and very similar to DKC, which is why I'd feel more confident in them handling that.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

The first Yooka Laylee I thought was decent but uneven, so I'm not super sold on them doing a new Banjo or Conker, but Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair was superb, and very similar to DKC, which is why I'd feel more confident in them handling that.

It might be the only chance of the Kremlings being the main villains again.

I can see a Banjo Kazooie styled DK game, i think that would be awesome and adds another dimension to the IP.

Azzanation said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It might be the only chance of the Kremlings being the main villains again.

I can see a Banjo Kazooie styled DK game, i think that would be awesome and adds another dimension to the IP.

Yes! I loved DK64 and have always wanted a sequel to it! But with more of a budget than Yooka Laylee got.

Dulfite said:
Azzanation said:

Yes! I loved DK64 and have always wanted a sequel to it! But with more of a budget than Yooka Laylee got.

That would be great, how would you feel if they made a new Banjo Kazooie game that plays like DKC?

Azzanation said:
Dulfite said:

That would be great, how would you feel if they made a new Banjo Kazooie game that plays like DKC?

I'd love that too! I just love the silly nature of the games with the fantastic music. Retro Studio's Tropical Freeze had amazing music as well.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Azzanation said:

While taking cues from Super Mario Odyssey of course. Odyssey set a new standard for open world 3D platformers. :)

What makes you think Odyssey was an open world? It was purely level-based. There has never been an open-world Mario game. (Bowsers Fury might be the first) 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are hub worlds. Odyssey is the linear level base. The levels are large like 64 or Sunshine but not in any way open world. The open-world refers to BOTW. Xenoblade X. GTA. AC Odyssey and such.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

CaptainExplosion said:
Leynos said:

What makes you think Odyssey was an open world? It was purely level-based.

Uh huh, yeah, sure. A game where you can take Mario anywhere across each map and do almost every objective in any order you please without being restricted by the usual Mario countdown. Totally "level-based".

You really have no clue in game design, do you? You literally select a level and the ship cutscene is a load screen. Do you think Mega Man on NES is open-world as well?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

CaptainExplosion said:
Leynos said:

What makes you think Odyssey was an open world? It was purely level-based.

Uh huh, yeah, sure. A game where you can take Mario anywhere across each map and do almost every objective in any order you please without being restricted by the usual Mario countdown. Totally "level-based".

Uhmmm.....what?

Open world doesn't mean "open level design". Open world means that all the games content (or nearly all of it) is inter-connected. What, do you think Monster Hunter World or Rise are open world games because they feature big environments that are seamless? Mario Odyssey literally has a level select screen. Lol. The fact that you even have to specify "each map" is an indicator that it's not an open world game!  

Looking at their track record, Next Level Games are certainly prolific, having made 14 games in their 18 year history, and now they're officially a first party studio Nintendo will hopefully invest in growing them as they have with Monolith Soft so that they can work on multiple projects at once and help support EPD games.

Leynos said:
CaptainExplosion said:

While taking cues from Super Mario Odyssey of course. Odyssey set a new standard for open world 3D platformers. :)

What makes you think Odyssey was an open world? It was purely level-based. There has never been an open-world Mario game. (Bowsers Fury might be the first) 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are hub worlds. Odyssey is the linear level base. The levels are large like 64 or Sunshine but not in any way open world. The open-world refers to BOTW. Xenoblade X. GTA. AC Odyssey and such.

Well, I think there is some confusion here. By Open World, he meant the freedom to approach anything however you want thanks to the tools the game provides you.

It might not the "open world" like the ones you mentioned, that you can go to the end of the game as soon as you start it, but it certainly it~s levels are designed with open ended mentality.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1