By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Acquire Next Level Games

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

Very good move, secure a strong partner, doesn't take anything away from multiplatform and can also have more financing to get them to make even better games.

Indeed. Though you wouldn't think their budgets were short before this looking at LM3. Maybe they will receive more funds to expand the team or create a new team to make more games or games quicker. I hope Nintendo let's them work with other ips that no longer have yes working on them. They are a talented enough studio that I would prefer they use their time on AAA experiences rather than low budget games going forward.

Well I would say Insomniac also didn't seem to have issues to make big budget game, but still they needed Sony or in one case MS to finance their game. So perhaps with Nintendo having a direct seat on the company they can have even better financing and grow. But even if they don't need it it is good to secure the dev and avoid any purchase by competitor or similar. Also agree that it would be cool to see more dormant IPs getting a new entry than an IP that had a more recent one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

This is excellent news. It was the one of few studious that had a realistic chance of being bought by Nintendo.

The safe conclusion that we can draw from this are two:

1 - The reason that Next Level was bought by Nintendo, and mostly the reason why they are known, are because of their succes with the Luigi Mansion franchise. So whatever they make next, one of their projects will absolutely be Luigi Mansion related.

2 - While this can certainly be seen as a move to solidify the talent behind Luigi Mansion( the third game will be a 10+ million seller, and honestly has a shot at 15 million), I think that Nintendo also sees this ass a opportunity to expand their western development prowess by expanding Next Level Games. So in short, I believe that, alongside Luigi Mansion, they will work on another game/series. So they will constantly be working on 2 projects. Now wether that other game is a new IP or and estabilished Nintendo IPs, that's for them to know.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

noname2200 said:
Ninten78 said:

Wonderful news...buy Platinum now

I get the impression Platinum would much prefer to stay independent, to the point where they reacquired and published a Nintendo IP, even if their financial stability is questionable. At the very least, Platinum currently has of contracts and commitments with other companies, no?

Yes. They are actively trying to become a publisher now, with buying back Wonderful 101 from Nintendo and publishing themselves and that GAAS game about giant robots being their first Big Games as a publisher.

So, as of now, Platinum is a big no no for acquisition from anyone, really.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Yep i agree New Mario Strikers and Punch Out with potential ARMS Collab and vice e versa.

Having a Western studio that actually makes games should also help bring some diversity in development style in their output; Luigi's Mansion 3 for example while it does fit well into the Mario universe had its own style distinct from Japanese developed games in said universe, and that's a good thing. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 January 2021

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

Except for Tencent

noname2200 said:
Ninten78 said:

I get the impression Platinum would much prefer to stay independent, to the point where they reacquired and published a Nintendo IP, even if their financial stability is questionable. At the very least, Platinum currently has of contracts and commitments with other companies, no?

They do. I would not mind if Nintendo bought a stake in PG but they still remained able to release games as they have been. Just to give PG a little extra financial security. I do kinda wish Nintendo could buy outright or 50% of the Bayonetta IP from SEGA.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

This is a very interesting move for a few reasons. I had an article sitting unfinished that was going to tackle the game's industry acquisitions but the thing I expected Nintendo (and Sony) to do is make defensive acquisitions. Insomnica was one of these as, like Next Level Games, they had no problem working with Sony and being independent. But Sony bought them up. Right now, you have a lot of big fish looking at video game companies. Microsoft has been pretty direct with this and has also purchased a studio away from Nintendo. With Luigi's Mansion doing so well, they expected they they couldn't afford to lose them.

On the "Nintendo being conservative" part, that was more of an Iwata thing. Yamauchi had no reservations about buying up companies. That's how we got Retro Studios. They also purchased stakes in Rare, Factor 5 and Silicon Knights. They also owned Brownie Brown (now 1-Up Studios). They also purchased HAL for a while (which is how Iwata came on board). Nintendo's acquisitions slowed when Iwata took over. Monolith was only acquired as part of a failed deal to merge with Bandai Namco. The new president has only been around for less than 3 years (started in 2018). Nintendo is also cash rich right now, and they may make other moves. 

noname2200 said:
Ninten78 said:

That's kind of Platinum's problem: they need to be bought out but what to play make-believe. On the issue of contract, the only companies that will work with them are Nintendo and Square. Everyone else dropped them (Activision, Cygames, Konami, Sega). This self-publish ploy probably wont work since they have no experience doing it and their games don't do that well. Wonderful 101 is a good reason why it wont work. It doesn't help they are clearly having development problems (remember Babylon Fall that was suppose to come out in 2019 OPPS I mean 2020 OPPPPS I mean 2021). They would be perfect for Nintendo since, despite low sales, Nintendo will take the lower profits to help build the system's profile. Mature games and action games are not in Nintendo's wheel house.

I could see a Nintendo purchase in the future, but this would be after the self publishing goes bust. I don't have any faith in Kamiya's new game. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

B6a6es said:
Nautilus said:

Except for Tencent

I explored the psychic ether and found traces of some sort of connection with MS, so they should buy them and then ask is there any canceled MS IPs they would like to do.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I looked it up and their last game on a non-Nintendo platform was a PS3/360 game in 2011.

In 2014 they announced they would be a Nintendo exclusive studio, but apparently “a number of owner-directors [of Next Level] recently determined that the time is right for them to sell their shares"* and Nintendo didn't want to risk losing them as a partner so bought said shares.

*https://www.polygon.com/2021/1/5/22215014/nintendo-buys-next-level-games-luigis-mansion