By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Acquire Next Level Games

Darwinianevolution said:

Wait, they weren't part of Nintendo already? They've been doing Mario games for more than a decade now! Huh...

Many of the studios Nintendo is famous to work with are second parties, not entirely owned by Nintendo, like Hal, Intelligent Systems and Good Feel Inc.

Next Level Games have been working exclusively for Nintendo this past generations, but they had many licensed games on PS2 and PS3, for example.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network

I think this is great. This makes them the third western software studio of Nintendo, after Retro and NST. And with these two barely producing nowadays, I think Next Level will be awesome for Nintendo Switch's library.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Great news! Hopefully they are working on something cool as we speak. Or Nintendo has given them a dormant franchise to work on, as this shows they have a lot of trust in them. I recently found out HAL is an independent company but it works with some pretty big Nintendo IP's. Nintendo ought to try and secure them, in case another company tries to invest in HAL.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Stuart23 said:

Darwinianevolution said:

Wait, they weren't part of Nintendo already? They've been doing Mario games for more than a decade now! Huh...

Many of the studios Nintendo is famous to work with are second parties, not entirely owned by Nintendo, like Hal, Intelligent Systems and Good Feel Inc.

Don’t forget the elephant in the room, Gamefreak 

I suspect this is the only way Nintendo will acquire outside studios. They will have to make years of successful Switch exclusives first and even then it isn't a certainty as they much prefer to create their own studios. I am curious if they will ever create their own North American studio again?

Around the Network

If I had to guess, Next Level Games exclusivity contract with Nintendo has either run up or was about to and the owners seeing all the recent buyings of studios were looking to sell. Likely sold for a sunstantially higher price than just a few years ago.

Nintendo is known to not like buying studios mainly due to the risk that the talent leaves after the sale. But since they have worked with NLG for so long thats not a concern. Heck I'd say there employees might like it since they are likely to get better benefits and a raise.

Now for Nintendo, I have a feeling they've been interested in aquiring NLG for a while. I think they are interested in expanding the studio and growing it to 2 development teams. I think we will over the next couple years see it double in size, like we have seen in the Switch era with Monolith.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Very good move, secure a strong partner, doesn't take anything away from multiplatform and can also have more financing to get them to make even better games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Smart. I've thought for years that Nintendo should do this.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Yes!

I hope that MercurySteam is the next one. 

curl-6 said:

This is kinda like marrying your girlfriend of 15 years.

Not a bad move though, Luigi's Mansion 3 was pretty damn good, and it always helps to have more first party studios.

This reminds me of when Microsoft acquired Playground Games. They had only developed Forza Horizon games, which were all Xbox exclusives. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.